Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I and my wife are new Wing owners…woohoo, fulfilling one of our dreams! I recently completed the MSF class and have been practicing on the back roads on the daily commute. I have a Wing rider survey question regarding riding clothing.
I have noticed the windshield, great for cooler Fall mornings, blocks lots of wind which in the summer can make for warm riding. I have been reading reviews of Jackets and pants on-line, looking for the perfect, all round jacket with good venting for the Wing, warm for fall/winter/spring riding and breathable for the summer. Although the Wing is large, I also want to increase my visibility and I’m trying to avoid an arsenal of clothing, if possible.
I’d be grateful for some input on what others have experienced about what works and what doesn’t for clothing, including gloves. We live in the Seattle area. Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Registered
692 Posts
... HOWDY ... I HAVE A HIGH VIS. JACKET WITH A ALL WEATHER ZIP OUT LINER ... AND THERE ARE LOTS OF OTHER COATS JACKETS ect. OUT ON THE MARKET ... HAPPY TRAILS ... P.S. I LIVE ON THE OREGON COAST ... ABOUT THE SAME WEATHER ...

·
Super Moderator
28,447 Posts
Nathan I wear a Nexgen jacket, zipout liner heavy enough for 45* mornings yet vented front & rear for warm weather.
A friend of mine & his wife just got a Hondaline textile jacket that has similar qualities. Tourmaster also makes some really nice riding gear. I have a pair of Tourmaster boots that are awesome & the wife's and mine raingear is Tourmaster Elite, never been wet in the rain.

Hope this helps

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
i have four helmets, which one i use depends on the weather. two mesh jackets, depends on how hot its going to be, two leather jackets, depends on how cold its going to be. heated jacket and pants liner fot the really cold days. chaps, rain gear, and four pair of gloves.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Nathan: You'll likley end up with an arsenal over time. I too have two leather jackets, wifey and I have (matching) Nirvana textile jackets we both love, I have Nirvana pants as well, and a pair of heavy chaps (leftover from my darkside days but they have their moments) and she has an older pair of Goldwing leather pants. I have two helmets: one half shell with zip off ear cover and a Vector ff; mrs has same type half lid and HJC IS33. Each two pairs of gloves (med. & cold weather) and good riding boots. We each have rain suits that are always in one saddlebag. Thing is, I'm still always looking for more gear:rolleyes:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Gear (Goldwing owner and previously Harley Electraglide Classic)

Boots: I have owned a dozen pair. The lightest, driest, most comfortable are Air Tech (Oxtar). Even during the 110 degree days in Texas my socks were never wet. I've rode 8 hour days with PGR and stood in them for hours without fatigue.

Jacket: I have the Fieldsheer (light, medium and heavy) jackets. I wear the lightest most of the time. I wear the medium on longer (300 mile) rides because it has more protection and pads. I seldom wear the heavy one but have worn it in 28 degree days and still broke out a sweat because I have the HEAVY pants to go with it. IT IS WARM BABY.

Gloves: Joe Rocket Goldwing Deals Gap, Reflective Deerskin Leather Motorcycle Riding Gloves (available at Biker Hiway) and are very reflective at night and comfortable. Extra heavy winter gloves and have not had to wear them yet. Cold on a Wing??? ha

Socks: I wear diabetes socks because they have extra padding in the bottom and massage your feet when you walk.

Helmet: I have RE-designed my helmet so that it can use the Goldwing wiring cable (intercom/stereo/wb) and headset as well as my CARDO SCALA rider BIKE to BIKE communicatin and BLUETOOTH. So I can listen to the WING radio/WB/CB or answer a call on the cell if I want. But I don't usually "want". Don't ask me how but I'll tell you that the microphones are hidden and it took some very special wiring thoughts to make it all work together. Patent pending.. :p

Inside the helmet, I wear a knit or nylon cap under it.

On the Wing I carry: Rain gear, sunglasses, tire gauge, compressor, tire repair (but would likely never repair the tire and ride it because I've heard too many bad stories about that), a screwdriver or two, allen wrenches, a motorcycle tool kit, tie wraps, duct tape (for my HARLEY DAVIDSON FRIEND'S BIKES)

On longer trips I carry: Socket set :mad: in case I see a HD. :p

In the back seat I carry: Dual Zone Cooler from Wal Mart with Gatorade and water in one side. I took one of the containers out and put in an AirLok zipperless cooler for my hot stuff to keep it warm.

During the summer: I wear a COOLING VEST. I have extra ice packs and swap them out and put the melted ones in the ice water. They freeze quickly. There is a forum about this on this site (Comfort Rider Cool Vest). Contact me directly for a referral, special prices from them if you do (and mention this site). :). ON SALE NOW I THINK...since it's Fall.

NOW, WHAT'S IMPORTANT?
If you got this far, this might save your life. I had a light bulb go out and got one from Honda. It was dimmer than the one that was still working. After pulling them out I found they were Phillips Crystal Vision Ultra (O'Reilly PN 12972CVS2). So I replaced the two low beams. Now I am in the process of replacing the two high beams soon. I'd estimate 100% brighter road...

What's tucked away?

Well, the Wing CB antennae sucked when I got it. The SWR's were so far out of whack nobody could hear me. I have a perfect setting on them now (after following proper procedures to set SWR) and crank 250 bubbles out.

Super cool looking ring of fire lights with a switch.
Adjustable fan on the left handlebar where the coffee mug was.
Extra reflectors on the rear for the drunks.

Hope this helps. Contact me directly if questions.
TopGunPilot
Dallas, Texas

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
i also have two pair of boots and forgot about the third leather jacket i have

·
Super Moderator
9,852 Posts
I have a 3 in 1 jacket from GWRRA. Outer shell is great for summer weather. Inner shell is good for cool mornings. Combining both and it really does a good job on cold mornings. Both jackets have reflective piping on them as well. Got it for $100 which I thought was a pretty good deal for all around riding jacket.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts