Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Premium Member
857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I had been riding my Wing with work. Last week I was T boned. I saw out of the corner of my eye a white hood bearing down on me. I instinctively pulled the throttle back which was good since contact was made on the right pannier guard and the saddleback. I was knocked down to the left and was thrown about six feet from the Wing. In front of an oncoming car...which I got just a glimpse of prior to using black top as a bed.
The Wing besides being a great touring bike is also built to be able to absorb impacts to a degree...If I was on my Rocket or a Harley I would have had a much harder impact. The bike is most likely going to be totaled out. The inner and outer bag on the right are wrecked ...the left side outer back shot, pannier guards shot and folded upward, left mirror shattered and ripped off, damaged all over the photos don't do it justice. The frame is cracked as well estimate is not finished as of yet but upwards around 12 to 14 grand. for parts..the general consensus she will be totaled.

As for me I was wearing my riding boots, dockers and a dress shirt. the shirt was rip to shreds..lol No helmet, no gloves, none of my numerous textile or leather guarded jackets. I remember the hood and then seeing sky. lots of sky and about 10 people around me yelling mister mister are you okay...:Damn: I evidently took some time to respond..it knocked me silly for a few minutes and evidently I had asked several times is my head bleeding... it was not ...

I was helped up no bones jetting out of my thigh.. (thank God) no fractures ...no broken ribs... I walked away and I refused to EMS my hand was a little tore up at the finger tips...my left elbow some nice big road rash...left hip and knee still sore..but I walked away. The Mrs. got wind of the accident came home from work early and dragged me to the ER to be checked out..but I was okay ...I am a hairs breath from sixty...not bad...my guardian angel ( and I know I have one) was looking out for me.

Personal observations black top is very hard!!! I made sure to go to church this past Sunday to show how thankful I was to be able to continue breathing and riding.

On another note I was considering buying a 2015 wing but a deal came to me today and I am going to look at it tonight. A 2009 silver Goldwing with 24 k..way less than half of what I had on my 2012 Wing. I may be able to swap out some of my extras off my current wing ...
/I added a few photos of this Wing. very low mileage ..not a blemish..I can put many of my extras from my other Wing onthis one even the Mrs said even if they do not total the Wing buy this. I was wondering does anyone one know can you take the middle section out of a 2012 the navigation section and put it on a 2009? Ether way I have enough extras on the other biker to make one kick ass wing. this wing has a lot of chrome. The graphite is always one of my favorites as well. I may call the guy tomorrow and tell him it is a deal. I even told him I would not dicker with him it is that good a deal.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,216 Posts
Lee, VERY glad to hear you are ok. I too have been hit and your right, the asphalt is hard. So sorry to hear about the accident, but again, glad you are ok.!!!

Reactions: Limpy45

·
Super Moderator
15,211 Posts
I'm just glad that you are ok
oh and next time put some gear on!!

·
Premium Member
16,680 Posts
Your Guardian Angel was definitely riding with you young man, it obviously could have been a lot worse. Glad you came out of it well.

·
Administrator
29,155 Posts
Sorry to hear of the accident IronMan but also glad that you made it through somewhat unscathed.

·
Premium Member
7,935 Posts
Glad to hear you're OK, Lee!

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
Wow. +1 on the "Glad you're okay!" Could've been MUCH worse.

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
I'd pick up a Lotto Ticket also. Glad you are OK.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Holy cow! Very glad you're here to tell the tale. Nice to hear of a good statistic once in a while!

·
Premium Member
7,113 Posts
Just thinking of the miles you've put down, the 10 in 10/4 corners and the first wreck you have is in a common commute. So glad you weren't mangled. Continue to be safe.
REF

·
Registered
848 Posts
Lucky Duck Award -

Hey Lee, Glad that you came through this accident without any major injuries. There are usually a few more scuffs, dents and bruises to the body that will gradually begin the show up over the next day or so. I had a similar close call a few years ago. Even today my wife has to swallow hard and is still a bit hesitant to see me take off camping for a couple of weeks on my bike. When she is with me she's fine :)

Michael

·
Super Moderator
12,409 Posts
Glad you weren't hurt any worse. Bikes can be replaced.....

·
Premium Member
3,579 Posts
As edmKC said, good to know you can remember the incident and talk about it. I would worry more if someone else were posting this for you.

Do you think you'll be able to get the new ride and be fit to ride to Cody?

·
Premium Member
2,469 Posts
Sounds like a good outcome to a bad off! Always sucks to hear these stories and I hope you heal up fast and the insurance claim is very favorable.

·
Registered
5,004 Posts
Glad your OK Lee. Sorry about the bike but at least your able to walk away. Scary stuff.:surprise:....Isaac

·
Registered
401 Posts
certainly glad you WALKED away, good luck with a new wing

·
Premium Member
1,878 Posts
I'd pick up a Lotto Ticket also. Glad you are OK.
I am very glad your good to go. I would pass on the ticket. You had all the luck used up. :nerd:

1 - 20 of 47 Posts