Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Thought I'd start a new thread on riding 2 up protocols as Deb and I just finished our first trip together of nearly 800 miles over 3 days. We've ridden before however there were some things that we learned on this trip that seems important to share while it's fresh on my mind. Perhaps others may want to add their experiences too.

We always mount from the left side however I do not mount passenger first as my thinking is that this is too much stress on the kickstand and I want to control the bike when outside forces are exerted upon it. This subject is one of much debate however to each his/her own. I mount the bike first and stand, gripping the tank tightly with my thighs and front brake locked down. Then I give the all ready verbal signal and passenger announces that they are mounting/dismounting. On our last trip Deb started to mount before I was ready as I was still seated as this pulled the bike way over on the mounting side without me counter balancing. We had a few excited moments and we decided that a good rule is for each of us to verbally give one another the message that I'm ready and the passenger to announce their mounting/dismounting. On one occasion on our trip we pulled into a gas station and the parking lot sloped sharply to the left as Deb dismounted on the left side before me giving the all ready signal and the bike leaned way over due to the camber of the road and I had to quickly recover the bike from it's lean. It didn't result in a drop but it could have. So, when my passenger mounts or dismounts they need to wait for the all ready from me and for them to tell me they are mounting/dismounting. We find that this kind of clear communication imperative for our and the bike's safety. There are other protocols for riding 2 up also however I'll start here and others can add their experiences and tips from riding 2 up.

·
Premium Member
23,794 Posts
When we're stopped and you ( dear wife ) want to lean over to pull your sock up, make sure I have both feet on the ground.:eek:

·
Registered
86 Posts
Communication is the key. Passenger HAS to let the driver know before they make any moves that will "upset the apple cart".
My wife and I do a simple but effective, "Ready? OK, ready!" when mounting/dismounting.
Any other movement while riding is also conveyed before it starts and only after I acknowledge that I know it's coming.

·
Premium Member
17,046 Posts
Absolutely Communicate.
Remember she may need more break then you do. Give her a brake.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
9,599 Posts
Absolutely Communicate.
Remember she may need more break then you do. Give her a brake.:rolleyes:
That is a big one when my wife is with me, that is when it is a ride for her and I get to enjoy the time. Another thing I have my ride along buddy do is to put both hands on my shoulders when thay need to do a readjustment of their seat and I know they will be on the move to stand or move.

·
Registered
752 Posts
1 found that when riding with a passenger I move the bike to level ground and let them mount first to the drivers position then simply slide back on to the passenger seat.
While they are mounting I have a good grip on the handle bars. This puts less strain on the passengers knees and the wing doesn't get kicked by the passenger this way.
I used to mount first but it was too hard on my wife and the bike.

·
Super Moderator
28,505 Posts
The only protocol we use is Communication. Everything else works itself out.

Of course we communicate well so it makes it simple.

·
Registered
780 Posts
The two of you will need to figure out what works best for the two of you. In time it will become second nature after a while, that is until she catches a toe and decides to bail off the other side, go get caught and not be able to move anyway. Been there, done that. At times it's a real sight to see.

·
Premium Member
6,415 Posts
The only protocol we use is Communication. Everything else works itself out.

Of course we communicate well so it makes it simple.
+ 1, Communication is key!

Mark

·
Registered
83 Posts
My wife has to mount first, she has a bad back and I have to put the drivers backrest down. then I can hop on. As for the stress on the kickstand, she is only 115#'s.

·
Premium Member
7,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My wife has to mount first, she has a bad back and I have to put the drivers backrest down. then I can hop on. As for the stress on the kickstand, she is only 115#'s.
I can see why that works for you. You must have long legs to pull over your seat for mounting. I have short legs and mount the traditional way and throw my leg over the back of the seat. Another protocol for us is when she dismounts don't put your helmet on the back of the seat that I will kick off when dismounting. You guys nailed it, communication is key. Everyone has their style of mounting/dismounting the bike and a few basic rules need to be agreed upon by rider and passenger for harmony and safety.

I also like what you said Ron, that the rider needs to be cognizant of their passengers needs for breaks. Yesterday on our 400 mile ride home I'd check in with Deb on the intercom at nearly every town we rode through to see if she needed to use the bathroom or take a break. The towns were about 30 miles apart and a few times we had stopped at each town. if we had gone on my bladder barometer we'd have ridden until my gas tank was empty as I usually fill up around 150 miles.

·
Super Moderator
9,851 Posts
Dan, we pretty much use the same procedure when my daughter(s) ride with me.

·
Registered
193 Posts
this is an interesting discussion for me, as I have never had or even seen a passenger mount first or dismount after. I ve always been on the bike managing it. the hands on the shoulders to let driver know passenger is going to scoot around is a good idea.

·
Administrator
25,936 Posts
I always am on the bike first and ready before Cindy gets on. I do however plug in her intercom cord beforehand as they are a beast to plug in for a passenger already onboard. I'll usually have both feet on the ground and hand on the brake lever. Due to the headset cord, she usually mounts from the right side.
There are other tricks that apply to riding two up that you will learn as time goes on. A second set of eyes on road signs can be helpful in strange locales for navigating, especially if the traffic and/or roads are busy. Not much to worry about for balace while riding as the Wing's heft and low centre of gravity really help out the one in control. Knowing each other's comfort range and distance limits is a big one too.

·
Premium Member
7,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Due to the headset cord, she usually mounts from the right side.
Thanks for sharing that Daryl. We'll try that next time as Deb has to always unplug her helmet before dismounting. I leave mine plugged in and hang off the right hand grip. I know it was a hassle for her to remember to always unplug and plug back in. Sometimes we'd be going down the road and I'd be talking away and she couldn't hear me because she forgot to reconnect.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Afriend of mine rides a VTX 1800 with his wife. She is rather large. I was riding behind him, and his wife decided she needed to strech. She stuck her left leg straight out to the side, and he almost went down. Ladies, if you need to strech, say so first, and do both legs at the same time for balance

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
The Gold Wing is a rather difficult bike to mount or dismount for the driver and passenger. On my suzuki, I just throw my right leg over and mount......can't do that on the Wing. Have to lift my right leg up and over the seat, I snag the edge of the seat about 50% of the time and then must hop on one leg to get it the rest of the way over and must look like a real doof getting on or off. Once I am on and have the bike steady my wife puts both feet on the left passenger foot rest then has to lift her right leg over while she steadies herself with her hand on my shoulder, she has kicked the bike a couple of times, she is only 5'2" and noticed that she broke the Gold Wing emblem on the right side panel with her foot, I glued it back on. I can't let her get on first because we have the driver back rest with the bars that connect to the passenger hand holds so it is in the way if she tried to get on the drivers seat first then slide back to the passenger seat, I am actually considering taking the drivers back rest off and trying a ride to see if it is any easier on her and maybe me too to get on or off the bike.

Once on the road the Wing is smooth as silk and we love it but getting on and off???? Well.....we must look pretty goofy, LOL

1 - 20 of 20 Posts