Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!! I am finally off for a week and my husband-Dan and I are trying to find places to ride for day trips etc. We live about 27 miles northwest of Fort Worth. We've gone around Possum Kingdom, went to Mary's in Strawn. We haven't ridden with anyone else yet as we are just getting started on our riding journey!!!! Would love any advice, help, info.
Ride safe with the angels surrounding you!
God bless,
Angelmammaw

·
Registered
318 Posts
Haven't lived there for a while, but Hwy 283 south, towards Waco was a trip we often took for day rides. Somewhere down there was a kolache factory store in a small German settled town, which had great kolaches. Hope it is still there. LOL

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks jackpoet. We are open to all suggestions, routes and rides! We are getting things bought piece by piece-cooling vests, lightweight shirts, airhawk seats for the old bones LOL!! It's is such a dream come true and a joy to be out on the road.
Ride with the angels surrounding you!
God bless,
Angelmammaw

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi and thanks for the link. Looks like some interesting rides.
Ride with the angels surrounding you.
God bless,
Angelmamma

·
Registered
318 Posts
Thanks jackpoet. We are open to all suggestions, routes and rides! We are getting things bought piece by piece-cooling vests, lightweight shirts, airhawk seats for the old bones LOL!! It's is such a dream come true and a joy to be out on the road.
Ride with the angels surrounding you!
God bless,
Angelmammaw
Sorry Mama, That is Hwy 281 not 283. It has been a long time since I lived out there. I have the airhawk seats for both me and the wife. They work really well, but pay attention to the amount of air in them. Air it up, sit on it and let the air out until you settle down into it. Then it makes a good seat. Being 71 myself, I am familiar with the old bones. Have fun, take it easy. Love my wing.

·
Premium Member
3,703 Posts
Xamper's right about that website. Another good site is "openroadjourney.com". It actually has more detailed reviews of the roads, but you have to join to get the full value.

Another good source is "Ride Texas Magazine" at most newsstands.

Depending on how far you can go in a day, Albany has a surprisingly impressive art musuem. Or if you want to go for a weekend, look at the southwestern corner of Oklahoma just west of Lawton...great roads through Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge (ride to the top of Mount Scott) and good food in the area.

I can come up with some others, but how far do you go in a day?

Ride safe, Randy

·
Registered
5,082 Posts
A good day ride for you would be to drop south to Hwy 281 south through Stephenville to Hico. At Hico eat at the Koffee Kup (located right by the light). Excellent food and a lot of it. Across the street is Wiseman's Chocolate Factory. Its expensive chocolate but really good. Then from Hico take Hwy 6 east to Meridian and there turn north on Hwy 144 back to Glen Rose. Thats where the Glen Rose Dinosaur State Park is and there is some good dining there. Then same road north to Grandbury catching 377 back to Ft. Worth. Would be a full day but good eats and beautiful scenery along the way. That last shot will take you by Squaw Creek Reservoir and Lake Grandbury. Good places to stop and rest. Ride Safe...Isaac

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Xamper's right about that website. Another good site is "openroadjourney.com". It actually has more detailed reviews of the roads, but you have to join to get the full value.

Another good source is "Ride Texas Magazine" at most newsstands.

Depending on how far you can go in a day, Albany has a surprisingly impressive art musuem. Or if you want to go for a weekend, look at the southwestern corner of Oklahoma just west of Lawton...great roads through Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge (ride to the top of Mount Scott) and good food in the area.

I can come up with some others, but how far do you go in a day?

Ride safe, Randy

Good Morning Randy,
Thanks for the info. As for how far do we go?? We really don't plan alot, we kinda hop on and ride :). We don't really do art much but love to see the countryside, old forts and history. We once went to Palo Duro Canyon then Route 66 and back through some of the Indian sites in Okalahoma.We followed the fort trail in Texas too. (this was with the truck a few years back). I am sure this all would be much more interesting on the Trike!!!
Haven't been down towards your area yet but would love to meet up with you and others become even more a part of a riding "family". We have noticed that when we stop and there are other riders there is a camraderie and howdy that is alot different than being in a car. I told a friend of ours that riding brings a totally new and interesting experience to life!! I know Bevman has also extended the hand of friendship to get together and meet at the Chapter meetings or rides and DanB has done the same in his area. An amazing experience I have already found here at this forum and looking forward to even more!!
Let me know what ideas you might have on getting together!
God bless,
Pat aka Angelmammaw

·
Premium Member
3,703 Posts
OK, you have spurred me into action. About four years ago, I went to a diner, I think it was Saturdays, in either Jacksboro or Bridgeport. But I will recognize the turn off the highway.

So tomorrow, I have a destination ride. I will be in Jacksboro sometime between 11am and noon. If you want to meet me somewhere (of course you may already know the place), PM me.....I've heard of it but don't know how to do it. And I've said that before about a lot of things, some personal.

Take care and ride safe, R

·
Administrator
25,864 Posts
Can't help too much other than saying to keep the rubber side down.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ride today

So my husband and I go to Jacksboro and hang out from 11 to 1. Finally went to the DQ around 12:30 to get something to eat. A couple heading back to Wichita Falls were there and we talked to them for awhile. They went their way and we headed out by ourselves towards Bridgeport, then Alvord, Bowie and now home. We put about 150 miles on the trike. Rode nice.
Hope everyone else who was or is out there has a great and safe time.
God bless,
Angelmamma

·
Premium Member
3,703 Posts
Well, I owe you one. The place I remembered as "Saturdays" is actually named Yesterdays in Bridgeport. That's...that's...that's close, right? Isn't it? Anyway, I got there a few minutes after 10am. But since I hadn't heard back from you, I went on to Chico and then Jacksboro.

But now we have a place close to you that we can use as a starting point. I'm off Fridays and Saturdays thru mid-August. Let's pick a date to det a meet and ride and invite all the other GWOF members in the area. There are probably some that know that area better than I do.

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
Well, I owe you one. The place I remembered as "Saturdays" is actually named Yesterdays in Bridgeport. That's...that's...that's close, right? Isn't it? Anyway, I got there a few minutes after 10am. But since I hadn't heard back from you, I went on to Chico and then Jacksboro.

But now we have a place close to you that we can use as a starting point. I'm off Fridays and Saturdays thru mid-August. Let's pick a date to det a meet and ride and invite all the other GWOF members in the area. There are probably some that know that area better than I do.
My wife and I are "in" for this ride when we can decide a date. Just let us know when and where to meet.

·
Premium Member
3,703 Posts
My wife and I are "in" for this ride when we can decide a date. Just let us know when and where to meet.
I was wonderiong how long it would take you to join in on this. I think its safe to say that whenever this ride happens, it will be open to any and all that want to come along.

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
I was wonderiong how long it would take you to join in on this. I think its safe to say that whenever this ride happens, it will be open to any and all that want to come along.

Randy,

Chapter M had an impromptu ride scheduled for last Sunday morning at 10:00AM, my wife and I went and met up with Rich and Beth, I think you know them because they also work at AA. We had a great ride with them......they are a hoot!! We went South to Maypearl then over to Itasca then into Grandview and up to Cleburne where we ate lunch at a nice restaurant with them, then back East on 67 and back up 157 into Mansfield. It was a great day and met a couple of very nice people who I am looking forward to riding with again.......we missed you.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Hey Randy did you check your PM messages? I put 3 of them there like you told me to do lol!! Will get back to you later.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
the ride

A good day ride for you would be to drop south to Hwy 281 south through Stephenville to Hico. At Hico eat at the Koffee Kup (located right by the light). Excellent food and a lot of it. Across the street is Wiseman's Chocolate Factory. Its expensive chocolate but really good. Then from Hico take Hwy 6 east to Meridian and there turn north on Hwy 144 back to Glen Rose. Thats where the Glen Rose Dinosaur State Park is and there is some good dining there. Then same road north to Grandbury catching 377 back to Ft. Worth. Would be a full day but good eats and beautiful scenery along the way. That last shot will take you by Squaw Creek Reservoir and Lake Grandbury. Good places to stop and rest. Ride Safe...Isaac
Hi Isaac,
We went this route today with a little variation. Since we live outside of Springtown we went through Weatherford on 51 into Granbury and worked our way to Hico where we ate at Koffe Kup-like you said good food and a whole lot of it!!! We then went to Glen Rose, back to Granbury, Weatherford and home. Thanks for the ride. Who knows we just might ride your way one day!!!
Always know I send extra angels and prayers to be with you.
God bless,
Angelmammaw

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
not yet

Sorry Mama, That is Hwy 281 not 283. It has been a long time since I lived out there. I have the airhawk seats for both me and the wife. They work really well, but pay attention to the amount of air in them. Air it up, sit on it and let the air out until you settle down into it. Then it makes a good seat. Being 71 myself, I am familiar with the old bones. Have fun, take it easy. Love my wing.
Hi Jackpoet,
Haven't gotten to try your route yet but it will happen and I will let you know if that Kolache place is still there!!
God bless,
Angelmammaw

1 - 19 of 19 Posts