Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my way to Silver City..I decided to take a longer more scenic route. It was recommended to me by Hidessert....and it was worth taking. The elevations in teh Gila National Park range from 4200 feet to almost 11000 feet. Route 151 was sixty miles of twisties as the elevation slowly increases.

The difference between this area and the Tail of the Dragon was there was minimal ...I mean minimal traffic, no cheap hoakie tourist crap....or carnie BS. Go off the road here and kiss your arse good bye...but ride it in a reasonable manner and you can have a blast on the twisties.

The views at the higher elevatiions were breath taking again 11000 feet versus the Dragons ah...2000 feet if that. I saw one pickup truck ...two cars and several bikes during my sixty mile ride on this road. It was absolutely the most fun I have had on a bike with out a doublt.

Bring a camera though agian there are no cheap touristy cameras planted..but the good news is that there are no dumb arses trying to show off and running into people....If you prefer to have minimal traffic this is the place to see the views and have fun on the twisties...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
24,123 Posts
No East Coast ride bashing ! If I were you instead of me, I wouldn't be here either. Geographically speaking, our hills are older and consequently can't stand upright due to old age. I'd love to climb to 11,000 feet, but my annual visit to Arizona in cool April restricts my elevation to comfortable tee shirt riding temperatures.

·
Premium Member
343 Posts
I made that trip to Gila and the surrounding areas; for me it is the best I've made so far and I'd like to go back. I lived in Houston at the time so to get to New Mex wasn't a bad drive. From Miami... it's a different thing altogether. I really love to get out in the desert.

·
Premium Member
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No disrespect meant...I lived in Knoxville for eight years...and I am from New Jersey.. I am familiiar with the Dragons tail...compared to Gila...it is carriage ride...:D The other thing is all the novices who think they are much better than they really are posing for photos on the curves.... I would rather have empty roads and great sites. jmop

·
Premium Member
1,329 Posts
Have you ridden the Dragon ? I venture to say the scenery can be as good or better from 2,000 ' as it is at 11,000 ' depending on what a person likes . I personally like a variety of scenery and i have been over most of the U.S. , the mountains of North Carolina and Tennessee are high on my favorite list . I don't care for the tourist thing , but the dragon is popular for the twisties not scenery , the average joe doesn't care for the dragon unless he is into bikes .

·
Premium Member
24,123 Posts
No disrespect meant...I lived in Knoxville for eight years...and I am from New Jersey.. I am familiiar with the Dragons tail...compared to Gila...it is carriage ride...:D The other thing is all the novices who think they are much better than they really are posing for photos on the curves.... I would rather have empty roads and great sites. jmop
No disrespect taken. Escaped from NJ myself when I was ten. Never looked back. You have the luxury of calling the Southwest home, for me it is still a vacation spot. And yes, I got my picture snapped at the Dragon. If you look closely you can see I gave him the finger. And if you look closer you can see what a car tire looks like planted on a wet curve at 65 mph.;) Man, that was a shameless plug for a car tire!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Yes I have been on the Dragon... and compared to Gila ....well it comes up short jmop. I really am not much for touristy stuff. I hope you have the chance to go to Gila some day....it is well worth the ride. The views...elevations...the twisties and the low traffic volume make it a great ride. I also road a similiar road in Taos last year another great ride.

·
Super Moderator
15,167 Posts
i haven't ridden the dragon or the gila but what matters most is the fact that you had an enjoyable ride and snapped some good pic's too

·
Premium Member
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Donald I will be passing your way in a few weeks on my way to Keywest. I am doing the four corners tour and 10000 in ten days...

·
Premium Member
343 Posts
hey let me know as the date nears; if the timing is right we can ride along for a day trip. I'll be heading up to Traxxion on the 14th and 15th of June for some suspension work. Other the that we'll be in Miami

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Donald I will be passing your way in a few weeks on my way to Keywest. I am doing the four corners tour and 10000 in ten days...
:eek: Now thats a trip! My bucket list includes doing the 4 corners tour, but not the 10000 in 10 days! Enjoy yout trip, and ride safe! Will yu be coming thru Southern Minnesota?

·
Administrator
29,023 Posts
Thanks for the tour Lee & the tip. One of the reasons I really don't care if I ride the dragon or not is all the traffic & nonsense. Don't need it.

·
Administrator
15,318 Posts
Thanks for the pictures of your ride. I too love the southwest; wide open country and great roads. I was a little east of here last week and had the road to myself most of the time. I'll be back. Good luck on your four-corners tour. If you need anything in the middle south let me know.

·
Premium Member
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
:eek: Now thats a trip! My bucket list includes doing the 4 corners tour, but not the 10000 in 10 days! Enjoy yout trip, and ride safe! Will yu be coming thru Southern Minnesota?

I was there last year doing a IBA...this time I am going to swerve to the center of the country from north of Seatle and down and back up to northern Maine.....I want to fill in more of my map...:D The only reason I am doing it is to prove to myself I can....sounds stupid but that is why.....a good friend told me I was too old to do these rides...one more and I am done with IB rides.

·
Premium Member
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the tour Lee & the tip. One of the reasons I really don't care if I ride the dragon or not is all the traffic & nonsense. Don't need it.
Some of the Dragon sites look like a cheap Carny show. I had some friends go there recently and one of them had an accident with all the antics that go on with show boating instead of just paying attention. I personally prefer open roads and free riding...which by the way I have been here for two years and never have to pay for any tolls...lol

·
Premium Member
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
hey let me know as the date nears; if the timing is right we can ride along for a day trip. I'll be heading up to Traxxion on the 14th and 15th of June for some suspension work. Other the that we'll be in Miami
Don I leave on the 21st I am not sure if I am heading to Ca..first or Fla...I will let know ...thanks Lee

·
Premium Member
7,508 Posts
Lee, you were just north of Deming where I bought my Goldwing. How was the wind and heat out there?

·
Premium Member
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Lee, you were just north of Deming where I bought my Goldwing. How was the wind and heat out there?
Actually Dan went through Demming today. On the way home got hit with a few strong gusts....no problems with sand storms though...and in Las Cruces got the customery border patrol stop asking are yoiu a US citizen....lol Que?

·
Premium Member
1,329 Posts
I have ridden Hwy. 180 before and it is nice . I spent a couple weeks riding NM and Az. in 1989 . I hope to get back there one day .

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.