Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Here is my initial plan for my trip:

Leaving the morning of the 16th of August - (230 mile ride)

Night 16th - Alta Lake Camp State Park
Night 17th - Alta Lake Camp State Park

Morning of the 18th - Leave for Diamond Lake, Oregon. (430 mile ride) long day riding.

Night of the 18th Diamond Lake State Park Campground
Night of the 19th Diamond Lake State Park Campground (group rides with internet friends (Steve Saunders Website) (Crater Lake)

Night of the 20th Diamond Lake Campground (group rides with internet friends) (Open Ride)

In this part, I hope to be able to stop by and see Tooth, in RoseBurg, OR if he doesn't have other plans made. PM'ed and pending.

Leave early the morning of the 21th for California Redwoods 175 mile ride
Night of 21st at Redwood National Park

Morning of the 22nd - Ride to Gold Beach, Oregon 225 miles
Night of the 22nd Gold Beach area camp ground

Morning of the 23rd Ride to Newport Oregon. 230 miles
Night of the 23rd Camp at Newport Oregon.

Morning of the 24th - Ride towards home across the Astoria Bridge 330 miles

That's my plan and I am sticking to it.

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
You may want to check with ODOT regarding any construction along the Oregon coast road(s). Last year between the heavy tourist traffic (lots of RVs) and construction that had us down to one lane, sitting on the bike waiting for a flagman to finally wave us through, we gave up and turned inland.

Crater Lake is completely awesome, but as you're camping, be prepared for the worst onslaught of misquitoes that you've ever seen once it starts to approach sunset. Granted, last year I believe was more wet than this year, with the heavy snowpack that is still melting (there is a two story high snow pile in front of the visitor's center), there's sure to be enough to keep the bugs very happily mating and creating more of the annoying critters.

Good luck and ride safe!

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Looks like a great ride, have fun.

·
Super Moderator
9,852 Posts
Looks like it's going to be a great ride. Beautiful scenery... Ride safe..

·
Super Moderator
28,447 Posts
but as you're camping, be prepared for the worst onslaught of misquitoes that you've ever seen once it starts to approach sunset.
That is why I always pop the extra money to stay in a Hotel.

·
Banned
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for your comments and heads up.

I do more motel / hotel than camping, but when I start out on a camp trip, I feel it is in keeping with the theme of the trip to camp. I do like to stop camping and hotel / motel every so often even on a camping trip.

I am not sure if my girl friend can get the time off to go with me, so I am planning on a solo trip, but hopefully she will be able to go. If so, we will motel a little more, particularly on the Highway 101 Oregon Coast portion of the trip.

The important thing is this, I have some time off..... I have a destination in mind and an initial plan to "get er done," AND a motorcycle equipped with a CAR TIRE to take me there safely.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Larry
I totally agree with Rapier....Diamond lake is mosquito central this time of year.Plus the algae is back again. You might look at the camp ground at Mazama in Crater Lake park itself. no water breeding grounds and still convenient in location.
They have been paving south of Yachats and south of Port Orford in one location....There really is no large amount of traffic on 101 south of Florence.....

·
Banned
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited by Moderator)
Larry
I totally agree with Rapier....Diamond lake is mosquito central this time of year.Plus the algae is back again. You might look at the camp ground at Mazama in Crater Lake park itself. no water breeding grounds and still convenient in location.
They have been paving south of Yachats and south of Port Orford in one location....There really is no large amount of traffic on 101 south of Florence.....
Thanks for the heads up.

That are doing a meet and greet at Diamond Lake. Several have already put in their reservations (paid for) I will meet those folks there and if it is intolerable, I will just leave early.... but I will put a heads up to the group regarding this to them now. Perhaps they can make a decision to move it. I am just a follower.

This is what I posted on their site in regards to this:

I am not so concerned about the alge in the water as I am about the mosquitoes and ticks.

Be prepared for the worst onslaught of misquitoes that you've ever seen once it starts to approach sunset. As I live on the west side of the Cascades, at sea level, we don't see many of these critters, therefore we don't plan for them until we travel to that side of the mountains... and we have another experience with them. Don't forget the OFF!!

·
Banned
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
WoW! Save some time for the Arizona ride next year.
I will meet you in Arizona in April next year.

I might fly down and rent......rather than ride that 3,200 mile round trip again. Fun, but getting snowed on at "Dead Man's Pass" and the wind blowing at 50 mph in the middle of the Nevada desert was a little unnerving.

·
Super Moderator
14,413 Posts
Crater Lake is a truely awsome place. I visited there a number of years ago after a fire detail near Tiller, Or. I hope to visit on the bike and show my wife one day. Have a great trip!

·
Premium Member
11,006 Posts
That sounds like a great trip. Looking forward to the photos. You are making good use of your riding season. Eric

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
That region was the last long trip we did on the '84 in 1991, from here to Redwood City and back. Was fantastic right up until the two guys on 1500's blew by us on I-5 climbing out of Redding (uh, Honey, it's new bike time!!;)). We did it after Labour day to avoid the major summer traffic, but hit some serious construction near Klamouth Falls in 95* heat coming back...brutal. Coast road can get a bit gusty if weather turns some, but we found it refreshing. Camped the whole time in our tent-trailer, good facilities all the way. If you're camping in the area north of Redding, watch out for Yogi and Booboo..take the necessary precautions.
Hope you have a great run Larry!

·
Super Moderator
14,413 Posts

·
Banned
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I just got home this morning. 1975 miles in 6.5 days. I had a great time. I would go right back and do it all over again.

Camping and motel costs: $90 (One night at Econo-lodge $42.00)
Food costs: $150
Fuel costs: $200 (42 miles per gallon average) Paid $5.10 for gas at Crater Lake
Park entrance fees: $20
Dairy Queen expense $20

No tee shirt.... no souvenirs just some digital pictures. I will share some once I get unpacked and settled back down again. I am "lost in the fog.." feeling.

Corbin Seat report: I was in that saddle for 13 hours yesterday and I had no ill effects whatsoever.

By the way..... I don't know if I mentioned that I put a car tire on my motorcycle about 10,000 miles ago. It has performed pretty well.

·
Premium Member
5,390 Posts
I just got home this morning. 1975 miles in 6.5 days. I had a great time. I would go right back and do it all over again.

Camping and motel costs: $90 (One night at Econo-lodge $42.00)
Food costs: $150
Fuel costs: $200 (42 miles per gallon average) Paid $5.10 for gas at Crater Lake
Park entrance fees: $20
Dairy Queen expense $20

No tee shirt.... no souvenirs just some digital pictures. I will share some once I get unpacked and settled back down again. I am "lost in the fog.." feeling.

Corbin Seat report: I was in that saddle for 13 hours yesterday and I had no ill effects whatsoever.

By the way..... I don't know if I mentioned that I put a car tire on my motorcycle about 10,000 miles ago. It has performed pretty well.
glad you had fun , one day i hope to do a long trip like that , Btw stay off the dairy queen

·
Banned
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
1 - 20 of 22 Posts