Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My wife and I took a ride to Golden, Colorado last week from our home here in North Texas. Put a total of 1900 miles on the wing over a 4.5 day period. We left Allen at 5:30 a.m. on Tuesday morning to get a head start on the heat. We pulled into Dumas, TX around 1:30 p.m. and shut it down for the day--the high in Dumas that day was 103 F.
The next morning we headed out around 7:00 a.m. and enjoyed the cooler dry air that greeted us as we gained elevation in New Mexico. We drove the summit of Mount Capulin, New Mexico, a recently extinct (in geologic terms at least, having erupted approx 60,000 years ago) cinder cone volcano, rising 1,000 feet or so above the surrounding plateau. With a total elevation of over 8,000 feet, the air was brisk, and the views were fabulous. (photos to follow). We drove on through Eastern New Mexico on Hwy 87, crossed into Colorado through the Raton Pass on Interstate 25, and headed west out of Pueblo, CO on Hwy 50. Just west of Canon City CO, we picked up Hwy 9 north, and drove up the valley surrounded by snow caped mountains to the west and north. The temperatures dropped to the mid-50's by afternoon as we passed 9,000 feet and I was beginning to wish I had an additional layer or two under my mesh jacket. The traffic was light, the scenery was stunning, and the weather was perfect. We spent the night in Golden with relatives, and started the trip back home on Thursday afternoon. Late Thursday afternoon we pulled in to Walsenburg, CO and the welcoming folks at the La Plaza Inn and Suites downtown. The inn keeper and his wife were gracious hosts, their on-site restaurant served excellent food (a sit down breakfast was included in the price of our room) and the prices were reasonable. The next morning we left around 9:00 a.m. and drove the Highway of Legends (stunning!), Colorado 12, through La Veta, Cuchara, over the Cuchara Pass and down into Trinidad, CO where we stopped for a break and to gas up. After crossing into New Mexico via the Raton Pass on Interstate 25, we took Hwy 72 to Folsom, NM. This route takes you on top of the high-plateau that runs parallel to Hwy 87 and has absolutely no traffic. I met only two vehicles on this leg of our trip, and had no one behind me. The climb on to the plateau offers a generous number of twisties and excellent overlooks, while the rolling pasture land on top of the plateau is teaming with cattle and prong-horn antelope. At Folsom, NM (near the site of one of the older North American Indian settlements) the road veers south and connects with Hwy 87. From there we headed East and spent the night in Dumas once more, hitting the road at 5:30 a.m. on Saturday morning so we could make an early afternoon party. We had a great time, saw some beautiful country, and got to experience some blessed cool weather. Sad to say, it's been 100 plus degrees here in Allen for the last 3 days...wish we could have stayed in Colorado longer. :)

·
Super Moderator
28,454 Posts
What no pictures. You know some of us are "description impaired" & need visual effects, will.

Glad you had a good time.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Sounds like a great trip. One more work day and we're on our way to Dumas. Was going to Raton but can't now because of the fires. From Dumas we'll go to Salida and all over CO. Be gone for 17 days!

·
Super Moderator
14,422 Posts
You had me drooling over my map on this one. Looks like a great route. I've been to Cripple Creek, the southeast corner, and north Colorado, but never to that area. Hope you post some pictures.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I moved to Arkansas 9 years ago from Parker, Colorado where I lived for 21 years and next year or even later this summer I'm planning a trip back there on my 1994 GL 1500 Goldwing trike. I have many friends out there and two have motorcycles so hopefully they will be able to get off of work and we can do many loops in the mountains in 4 days. Your report makes me want to leave next week but instead we are taking the 1800 VTX Trike to Houston from Arkansas.

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
You have got to love long trips on the Wing. Always a good time.. Looking forward to the pics...

·
Premium Member
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Pictures of Ride to Colorodo

Figured out the picture thing. Reading the instructions seemed to help. Attached are some pics of the recent trip to Colorado.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
28,454 Posts
Great shots will. My compliments to the shutterbug. Glad you figured out the picture thing.

·
Super Moderator
11,813 Posts
Looks and sounds like you had a great time. Thank you for letting us enjoy the pictures.

·
Super Moderator
14,422 Posts
That's the ticket. Make me want to jump on the bike and escape the hot/humid we have here until October. Thanks for the pictures.

·
Premium Member
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I sure do enjoy the camaraderie on this Forum. Hope to meet as many of you as possible in person in the coming years!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts