Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Super Moderator
28,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is going to be a place to post maps of our Favorite Rides within our regions, complete with maps, descriptions, photos & videos.

Here is a quick tutorial based on the use of Google Maps. For those that have another way to do their posting by all means, Go for it.

Posting map

Go to Google. Open Google maps, click Get Directions. Start by putting (Starting address in box A). Pick a point along your route to place Box B (The reason I do this is because if you just go from start to finish address Google will choose your route for you.) Once you do that Click on small lettering Add Destination under box B. That will open Box C left click on a point along your route to place your cursor then immediately right click this will open another window, the 3rd tab down says Add A Destination click that & you will complete that leg. Continue with Add Destination under Box C to open D, left click to set cursor, right click 3rd down Add Destination. Etc etc etc until you complete your route. Don’t get frustrated sometimes the maps will do their own thing & mess up. If it does just hit the back button on the browser & it will undo the last destination.

Once you get your route map completed on the top right corner of Google map below the words Sign In page you will see 3 tabs Printer, Mail & Link. Click on the link & it will open a window you will see in the 1st box below Short URL your map Url link. Right click copy & paste that into your GWOF message. This should work fine. If you have any issue let me know.

·
Super Moderator
28,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'm posting a nice little, right around 100 mile jaunt that I've been on many times. Even have had several of our members (one from Mississippi) on part of this ride.

The ride:

A good starting point is Zerbe Airport Road. There is a Park/ride area there that makes a good rendezvous point NW of I-81 head on South 901 & follow the map in the link.
Along the way there are several small towns, plenty of fuel stations (if you are low), plenty of eating spots & nice scenery. Roads run the hilly sections, some straight flats through wooded areas, along some small streams, a bit of trafficy areas, & through some twistys.

Some highlights of the run are Lebanon Valley Honda (for some fun) a bit off the route but no big deal, Ft. Indiantown Gap National Cemetary, Pa. Veterans Memorial & Ft. Indiantown Gap National Guard Base that you wil drive through on the route.

Okay so we can add the link to the ride, we can even add some photos if we want & hopefully we can all get some ideas. Have Fun & Ride Safe.

Here's the link:

http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=A...-w&vpsrc=6&mra=mi&mrsp=9&sz=16&via=4&t=m&z=10

·
Premium Member
23,775 Posts
Geographically, I'm from the mid-Atlantic region. I'm working on my route and it should be completed by tomorrow.

·
Super Moderator
28,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here's another just under 100 mile ride that is always fun for an Afternoon. A bit neat because of the figure 8-ish design.

Some Highlights of this ride are farmlands, small towns, an ice cream stop, a Harley/Yamaha/Kawasaki dealer, Schuylkill County Fairgrounds & a bit of a ride by the Lehigh River

Here are some weblinks.

http://www.blockers.com/

http://www.heislersdairy.com/

http://www.schuylkillfair.com/

The ride route:

http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=S...IdXXZy-w&vpsrc=6&mra=mi&mrsp=5&sz=15&t=m&z=10

·
Super Moderator
15,241 Posts
Geographically, I'm from the mid-Atlantic region. I'm working on my route and it should be completed by tomorrow.
they tell me that michigan is in the mid-west so how come we are in the eastern time zone? makes posting to this cornfusing

·
Premium Member
23,775 Posts
Eureka! I have one. We muster at the Old Stone House at Manassas Battlefield and back-road it up to Marshall. Pick up " Crest Hill " road for a great easy twisty ride through the countryside. We stop in Flint Hill at the Tavern for a quick bite. Pick up Rt 211 for a great twisty ride that crosses over Skyline drive and brings us into Luray. The twisties get better as we cut across the Massanutten Mts. over to Edinburg. From there we will loop around to Front Royal and of course pick up a portion of Skyline Drive back to Rt 211 and return the same way back to the Old Stone House. http://g.co/maps/mvfa5

·
Super Moderator
28,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here's an interesting ride that I've been messing with. Haven't done this one but would certainly be up for it.

Civil War Battlefield Tour:

Start in Gettysburg travel to Hanover from there travel to Monocacy then to Harpers Ferry next to Antietam & the finish back up at Gettysburg. Trip is 4 hours so there wouldn't be much sightseeing however some of the destinations cut be cut out.

http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=g...-w&vpsrc=6&mra=mi&mrsp=7&sz=11&via=5&t=m&z=10

·
Super Moderator
28,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here's an interesting ride that I've been messing with. Haven't done this one but would certainly be up for it.

Civil War Battlefield Tour:

Start in Gettysburg travel to Hanover from there travel to Monocacy then to Harpers Ferry next to Antietam & the finish back up at Gettysburg. Trip is 4 hours so there wouldn't be much sightseeing however some of the destinations cut be cut out.
Hey I'm thinking positive (a bit in the future also) & I believe this should be the 1st ride of 2012 for us. Modified perhaps to not be so long, but what say you????

·
Premium Member
23,775 Posts
Hey I'm thinking positive (a bit in the future also) & I believe this should be the 1st ride of 2012 for us. Modified perhaps to not be so long, but what say you????
Meet at Perkins. What do you think.... sometime in March ? I'll bring the bike home probably late February.

·
Super Moderator
28,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That's what I was thinking. March sometime, Breakfast at Perkins, ride some Battlefields & kick off 2012.:D

·
Super Moderator
28,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The sooner the better. We will let the weather dictate. We'll make it a Saturday so " you know who " will come.
Today 06:18 AM
I don't know about the sooner. Remember up here they get a little wild with the Salt, leading to much road debris, You Know Who & myself won't be riding with a bunch of junk on the road. A Saturday for sure so "He" comes along, we have a couple new guys that could show up too.

You should try to drag Ray & Rapier along.

·
Premium Member
23,775 Posts
I don't know about the sooner. Remember up here they get a little wild with the Salt, leading to much road debris, You Know Who & myself won't be riding with a bunch of junk on the road. A Saturday for sure so "He" comes along, we have a couple new guys that could show up too.

You should try to drag Ray & Rapier along.
When does daylight saving time occur ? I take charge of Ray, Rapier and Don. Ram54 should be ready to get out and about by then. We have our new sidecar fellow from York, PA to initiate too.

·
Super Moderator
28,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Super Moderator
9,857 Posts
The sooner the better. We will let the weather dictate. We'll make it a Saturday so " you know who " will come.
Who dat "you know who" fella?????:confused:

·
Premium Member
7,205 Posts
Throw a shot my way if this happens. You never know what I can come up with on off days. No Promises but keep me in mind:)

·
Premium Member
23,775 Posts
Who dat "you know who" fella?????
If you have to ask, you wouldn't know him.
Throw a shot my way if this happens. You never know what I can come up with on off days. No Promises but keep me in mind
It will be the shot heard 'round the world.

G

·
0 Posts
I'm new at this. How does one get to be part of a riding group. I'm within a couple of hours of some of the rides indicated on the maps and I have plenty of time on my hands.
My wife also enjoys ridding with me and she can join in weekends.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts