Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone here installed a drive off center stand. And how well does it work. I had just ordered one and it looks like an easy install. The only problem I can see is the rare wheel still contacts the ground when on the stand. I hope you like yours and did my medical condition, it should make it easier for me to put the bike on center stand. Any input from you guys?

·
Super Moderator
12,272 Posts
I removed one from my previous 1500. If it wasn't in gear and parked on the least bit of an incline, it would roll off the stand. My place isn't flat, so it didn't work for me.

·
Registered
5,005 Posts
I put a ride off on my 07. I have to tell you it was one of the best things I have done. I could not get the bolts loose so I took it to the Honda Dealer and they put it on. Charged me $40 (1/2 hour) labor. When they put it on, it did not sit level so they took it off and heated the ends to make it exactly level and that is necessary or the bike will rock side to side when on the stand. That would make it easy to tip over in a high wind or if somebody bumped it. I recommend taking it to the dealer and lettting them do it. Any problems they encounter, they can fix. As far as putting the bike up on the center stand, it is 10 times easier now. No grunting and groaning and having to stand on that pedal. At first I thought it was neat to back the bike up on the stand until I didn't have it level in Westcliff and tipped the darn thing over. No damage except to my pride and ego. I have found its just as easy to stop, put down the side stand, get off and then lower the center stand and just barely put weight on the lever and it pops back onto the center stand. And its just that easy when you have a passenger on the bike. The best part of the whole thing is the ride off. Have it on the center stand, get on, hook up everything, pull up the side stand, start the bike, put it in 1st and ease forward and your rolling like butter on a hot skillet. In my opinion it is one of the best additions you can make on the Wing. :D Isaac

·
Administrator
29,023 Posts
Wolf,

I think sr71 has one as well. Jim share your experiance & you can even add to your post count.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's great! It took a bit of time but was an easy job. The bolt on the right side of the stand is left handed. Both mounting bolts have blue lock tight so they are hard to brake loose. Drop the front exaust schield from both sides and use an impact driver or chatter wrench to loosen them. If you mix up the spacers, the one with a recess is for the left side and the right side has a spacer as well as the insert. Use Lock Tight on the bolts.
The spring is easy to re install if you grind down the sides of a spring so the hook slides easily down.
The ride off stand makes it a reaal snap to put the bike on and off. For safety I have a wedge to put in front of the tire and park the bike in gear. Follow the instructions in the shop manual for removing the panels and here is the missing stand drawing in the shop manual.

Attachments

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here are some more tips for installing the drive off stand. It helps to remove the front exhaust covers. In order to do this you must first remove the front lower cover. In the shop manual it calls for you to first remove the inner fairing cover. This is not necessary and a little difficult to do. But if you must the upper trim clips can be a problem. The book calls them a flat top clip. You need to place a small flat head screwdriver and the slots on the side of the head. To do this you need to place the screwdriver in the head at the slots and gently pry up on the button. With a pair of pliers pullet center button out and the clip will come out.

In reality in order to remove the lower cover all you must do is to take the bolts out and the clips from a lower cover. During your wheel to give you the clearance to pull the lower cover out.
They've front exhaust cover is easy to remove and reinstall. Removing the lower cover gives you access to the two front bolts one on each side. Remove the two acorn nuts, boldly cover down to clear the top clips and forward to remove it from the rear clips. This will get easy access to the center stand bolts. The bolt on the right side of the motorcycle has a 14 mm head and is the left-hand threaded. The bolt on my left side is right-hand threaded and requires an 8mm Allen wrench. These two bolts are put in with blue lock tight. An impact driver and extension or an impact wrench are needed to break these two bolts loose.
I hope these steps are useful.

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Rideoff Center Stand

Lonewolftx: As Fossil has stated I do indeed have a ride off centerstand. I got mine from the Baker folks at Americade a couple of years ago. The installation was a breeze. I went and had lunch and when I got back to their booth it was done :). Seriously, the only problem I have heard about the install is that there is a left handed bolt involved. My bike does not sit perfectly level with the ride-off but then It didn't sit level with the factory stand either. I had had no problems with the bike wanting to fall over. Just pay attention to what you are doing and be ready to act accordingly. Common sense is always a good thing. Happy New Year!!!

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Lonewolftx: As Fossil has stated I do indeed have a ride off centerstand. I got mine from the Baker folks at Americade a couple of years ago. The installation was a breeze. I went and had lunch and when I got back to their booth it was done :). Seriously, the only problem I have heard about the install is that there is a left handed bolt involved. My bike does not sit perfectly level with the ride-off but then It didn't sit level with the factory stand either. I had had no problems with the bike wanting to fall over. Just pay attention to what you are doing and be ready to act accordingly. Common sense is always a good thing. Happy New Year!!!
Well said.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.