Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been asked to bring this thread back because there may be some more recent information. Original question was. " WingStuff shows a ride off center stand for the Goldwing. Has anybody used this and I need some pros and cons about it. Girlfriend has bad knees and this looks like it would make mounting and dismounting the bike much easier for her." Thanks....Isaac:D

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a friend that is using one. It works, but to me the bike is very shaky when it is on the stand. Seems like the wind would just blow it over.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
I had one on my 92 and I did like it but it does have it's draw backs. I don't see how it will help you girlfriend with getting on the bike unless she gets on before you do. I always get on the bike first and hold it straight up, then my co rider mounts from the left side, left foot on the floorboard, raise up and slide right foot over the seat and sit down. With the ride off stand on the bike both wheels are on the ground at all times so never park it in neutral or it can and will roll forward off the stand and fall over, second you cannot check the rear tire unless you put a piece of plywood under the center stand so the wheel is off the ground.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Just thought of something, next time you replace your rear tire mount a 70 series on the back instead of a 60 series, that will make your stock stand almost like a ride off stand but will give you more stability when parked, and if you don't like it you can go back to the 60 tire on your next change, also the 70 will correct your speedo and odometer from the factory error. I did that on my 08 and it was a great advantage over the stock tire. Bridgestone 709 front and 702 rear

Reactions: GetAway

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had one on my 92 and I did like it but it does have it's draw backs. I don't see how it will help you girlfriend with getting on the bike unless she gets on before you do. I always get on the bike first and hold it straight up, then my co rider mounts from the left side, left foot on the floorboard, raise up and slide right foot over the seat and sit down. With the ride off stand on the bike both wheels are on the ground at all times so never park it in neutral or it can and will roll forward off the stand and fall over, second you cannot check the rear tire unless you put a piece of plywood under the center stand so the wheel is off the ground.
Yes,because of the knee problem, she mounts first and slides back to the passenger position. Not enough strength all the time to climb on the regular way which you describe and which we did for years. Thanks for the caution about neutral. I always leave the bike in low gear but I have forgotten.

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just thought of something, next time you replace your rear tire mount a 70 series on the back instead of a 60 series, that will make your stock stand almost like a ride off stand but will give you more stability when parked, and if you don't like it you can go back to the 60 tire on your next change, also the 70 will correct your speedo and odometer from the factory error. I did that on my 08 and it was a great advantage over the stock tire. Bridgestone 709 front and 702 rear
Thanks Joe...I sure nuff will keep that in mind. I have Stones on it now.

·
Premium Member
161 Posts
I have a ride off center stand. I believe that it is called a CSR (center stand replacement) by Baker. I think that is the one you are referring to. It works great. Having said that there are some negatives. The rear wheel never leaves the ground so spinning it to clean or adjust air pressure is a bit more time consuming. This I overcame by placing a piece of 1/2" wood under the stand and raising it the old fashioned way. (If you will notice the past tense in that statement I now have a J&S Lift) If not an a real level surface it sometimes feels wobbly but has never tipped over. Would I buy it again ? Most definetly. I had one on my 1500 also.

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have a ride off center stand. I believe that it is called a CSR (center stand replacement) by Baker. I think that is the one you are referring to. It works great. Having said that there are some negatives. The rear wheel never leaves the ground so spinning it to clean or adjust air pressure is a bit more time consuming. This I overcame by placing a piece of 1/2" wood under the stand and raising it the old fashioned way. (If you will notice the past tense in that statement I now have a J&S Lift) If not an a real level surface it sometimes feels wobbly but has never tipped over. Would I buy it again ? Most definetly. I had one on my 1500 also.
Thanks for the input. The stand I am talking about is sold by WingStuff and I think it is make by Baker. http://wingstuff.com/pgroup_list/gl1800/748_goldwing_Ride_Off_Stands/des/ Thanks again ...Isaac:)

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I saw a review where the guy said that the Ride Off didn't fit correctly into the indention in the muffler area and that it looked out of place when it was in the "folded" position. Have or did you have that problem? It just didn't fit like the stock center stand.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I have the POWER PARK stand on my 2010 and have had them on my past Wings I even had one on my last Ultra. The feet on the current version are the same width as the stock stand,I would not leave my bike parked on it or the stock one in the wind or overnight somewhere unless it was in my garage. My wife has a problem getting on too so putting it up for her is so easy I don't even think about it,no problem with fit either.

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have the POWER PARK stand on my 2010 and have had them on my past Wings I even had one on my last Ultra. The feet on the current version are the same width as the stock stand,I would not leave my bike parked on it or the stock one in the wind or overnight somewhere unless it was in my garage. My wife has a problem getting on too so putting it up for her is so easy I don't even think about it,no problem with fit either.
Power Park stand huh? I haven't seen that brand, where might I look to find that one? Interesting about the parking overnight comment. I spent the night in Plainview Tex one night at a motel and had the wing on an upslope, covered, in gear, and on the center stand. Had winds of 75 mph and rain and hail and it made it OK. Wasn't any place else to go or hide but it did OK. I did have the kickstand down as if it would do any good. Its the ease of getting on and off by the little lady that I am trying to solve. Thanks for the input.:D

·
Registered
193 Posts
Power Park is the brand WINGSTUFF.COM sells :) I had my 86 Venture blow over once when it was covered at work,my 78 BWM blew over once when the dealer parked it after service,it cost them an oil pan,all on stock centerstands.

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Power Park is the brand WINGSTUFF.COM sells :) I had my 86 Venture blow over once when it was covered at work,my 78 BWM blew over once when the dealer parked it after service,it cost them an oil pan,all on stock centerstands.
Wow, Holy Cow, I don't know how many times I have looked at that discription of the ride off stand on WingStuff and NEVER EVER noticed that it was Power Park. Talk about feeling like a boob. This gettin old crap sucks. My golden years seems to have a lot of pewter sprinkled in there. Thanks for steering this old goat towards the right pasture. Did you ever feel like the world was a tuxedo and you were a brown pair of shoes?:eek:

·
Registered
193 Posts
More like barefoot..........lol

·
Premium Member
17,147 Posts
Other then the issue with checking tire pressure, how about changing oil is there enough room if do the changes yourself. Just curious
From the Northwest Corner.
Ron

·
Registered
193 Posts
Other then the issue with checking tire pressure, how about changing oil is there enough room if do the changes yourself. Just curious
From the Northwest Corner.
Ron
This stand mounts where the stock one does not in front like some older models did,so no problem at all and if you have a 1/4 in board for under the stand you can rotate the wheel too.:)

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just to bring this to a close I received my Power Park Ride Off Center Stand from WingStuff today. To quote the information included it reads " The 1800 CRS foot pedal DOES NOT fit in the muffler cut out the same as the stock center stand. This is normal. If it touches the chrome cover, the cover needs to be moved". The picture on the information sheet is totally useless. Can't make out anything. So, I will update everyone in a few days when I can chip the ice off the wing and attempt installation. I am in a quandary as to how to move the chrome cover but I guess I will figure that out. Don't have a service manual since everytime I order one, it is back-ordered. Amazing.:confused:

·
Registered
193 Posts
Mine arm is not in the same exact spot but its not a problem and I didn't move the cover.

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Mine arm is not in the same exact spot but its not a problem and I didn't move the cover.
Good to know, I hope mine is OK and I don't have to try to move anything.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts