Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For months I have wanted a ride off stand for the 07 GW. I ordered the GL1800 Power Park Black Ride Off Center Stand, Item # CJ1800BL from WingStuff. It arrived in a timely fashion and looking at it, it seemed flawless. Even had a sticker proudly proclaiming "Made in the USA". I called the nearest Honda Dealer and inquired as to how much they would charge to install said Ride Off Stand. They told me that they did that on a regular basis and it would take about 1/2 hour but they would charge for 1 hour and it would cost $40. Needing a back tire, I decided to make an appointment to have those two things taken care of by them. Yesterday was the day.

The tire was mounted and the new stand installed and then they came and got me. When sitting on the new stand on a perfectly level floor, the bike rocked easily from side to side and it was obvious that a hard wind or a good bump "might" tip the bike over and spell disaster.

For obvious reasons, I am using the stock ride off stand in the pictures to explain the problem but the concept will be the same for either stand. For the bike to be steady on either stand, points A and B have to be the exact same length. No problem there with either stand. The problem we saw was that point B was about 1/4 to 1/16 inch off the floor when the stand was put down. That meant that the stand was trying to balance the bike on point A and C. Not good. It seems that point C on the stand was a tad lower than point A or B causing the problem. The reason became clear when a close inspection revealed that point C was lower than A or B. So, how do we fix it I asked? They had to take the bike back and heat the stand around point C and beat it with a sledge hammer to raise it above A & B. That allowed A & B to be the main support when on the stand. Now who would know to check this prior to installation? I doubt anybody would. But left uncorrected, you will have a bike that is "Tippy" and unsteady with possible tip over problems. The dealer told me that they knew what to do because they had to perform the same fix several times on that brand of ride off stand.

Once fixed, the stand worked as advertised. One picture shows that the "stand on" end or point C does NOT fit into the recessed area of the muffler neatly as did the stock stand.

So, if you buy one of these stands I suggest the following.
1. Stand the ride off stand upright on a perfectly level surface before attempting installation. If all 3 points on the stand are equal or level with each other, you might have a tippy bike. Why, point C must be above A & B so that they are the main support. The bike will not balance on all 3 points equally. It might if it were a perfect world and every place you parked was perfect. And you can't grind off the bottom of point C because it is a tube, not a solid piece of steel. It must be heated and bent. Have this done before hand and it will save you some grief and cash.

So, first thing to do is rip off the Made in USA sticker because it may be welded together in the USA but it was put together on a jig made in some other country where accuracy dosen't count.

And don't be surprised when it doesn't fit the notch in your muffler like the stock one does. Is this a fault of Wingstuff...? Absolutely not but it is a black eye on the maker of the ride off stand they sell.

Hope this saves somebody some time and may answer some questions or comments about the ride off stand being unstable.

Attachments

Reactions: davidprej

·
Super Moderator
28,448 Posts
Thanks for the info to the forum DreamWeaver. Hopefully it will help someone else.

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
If that is a reputable maker, they would want that back. That is so bad, it almost looks like a bad part that got thru the system and maybe even for another model as well.

Even great companies fight containing a bad part without it getting into the 'good' pile now and then.

I might have done the same thing you did but the maker needs to know about this so they can use it as an example as to how to improve their process.

It would be interesting to know if someone else has the same bike and stand to see if they have a similarly bad fitment.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
The stand is shorter than the stock one so it will hit the muffler in a a different place, but the bike should not rock from side to side. I had one on my 92 many years back and both legs were on the ground. Look and see what size tire the dealer installed, is it a 60 or 70 series tire? It should be a 180/60R/16.

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The stand is shorter than the stock one so it will hit the muffler in a a different place, but the bike should not rock from side to side. I had one on my 92 many years back and both legs were on the ground. Look and see what size tire the dealer installed, is it a 60 or 70 series tire? It should be a 180/60R/16.
Hey Joe.
Yes, it is the proper size tire. The arm that you step on to engage the stand is not properly shaped. Once mounted on the bike, that arm (point C) needs to be longer to fit in the stock indentation of the muffler. In reading the reviews for the ride off stand, it seemed to be a problem in several reviews. I read every review I could find before I bought the stand and that was the most common complaint. Since the weight of the bike is supposed to be directly over the 2 center legs for proper balance, if the "stand on" portion is not properly angled and positioned, that causes an imbalance and one of the center legs will not touch. Once that is corrected the bike is steady as a rock when on the stand. It seems that the people who make the stand don't read or care about the reviews. As I remember, some of them are close to a year old but the problem still exists. It would be a simple fix but much easier done at the manufacturing stage instead of having to be done when installed. And that was the point I was trying to make. We shouldn't have to "fix" these problems before we can use the product. And a close inspection will reveal if this problem may exist and its much easier to heat and fix in your own garage than when the $40 an hour clock is ticking.

·
Registered
1 Posts
bonehead manufactures

Good post! Your correct in saying we the consumers should not have to modify any product made for our bikes before we can use them. Maybe the answer is to send any cost to mod an item back to the manufacture with a demand for reimbursement of money spent for correction. Thru some miracle they might get off their butts and correct the problem...

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
I guess I'm the lucky one. I have installed it on my bike about year and a half and don't remember any issues like that. But may be because my bike is 2012. Not sure if there is any difference in stands. Hopefully someone will chime in.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts