Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Planning a trip from south MS to Anchorage for mid June 2012. First of all, I have never biked one way that far. Plan to make 400 miles per day for a month long total trip.
Wife will fly to Anchorage and ride back with me.
I need some heads up on what to pack, what weather will be like, etc. I haven't even been to the NW portion of states so don't know what June is like up there.
Total of 4 or 5 bikes with wives.
Ron, I know you live up there so you can give me some help.

·
Super Moderator
14,422 Posts
A long way off but let me know how everything is going. I've thought of a couple long trips where the wife flies into the destination to ride around there. Hope it all works out.

·
Super Moderator
28,451 Posts
Let me see if I can help a bit. Wife & I made Cross Country in June/July & learned a lot before we left & even more as we went.

1) Pack Light! If you stay at Hotels that have guest Laundry you can do wash. We packed heavier & ended up sending some home the 1st UPS stop.
2) Read some good books on touring, try stuff written by Dale Coyner or Ron Ayres. Good info
3)June/July shouldn't be bad in NW States. It wasn't for us.
4)400 miles will be no problem except & here's the big EXCEPT. I doubt that you will be able to maintain that day in day out with 4-5 bikes. My wife & I did 300, 400 & even some 500 days. But I can tell you we had to stay on schedule & only had to deal with ourselves. I believe when you get all the personalities together it may be difficult.

Remember this is only One Ole Fossil's opinion.

Here's a link to some other ideas. If you would like to chat further, PM me & we can make arrangements.

http://www.goldwingowners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3120&highlight=pack

http://www.goldwingowners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3771&highlight=item

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
don't forget your passport or enhansed driver license for crossing the boarder

·
Premium Member
17,146 Posts
What the fossil said was right about packing light. I would however have one warm sweat shirt or fleece along. I near froze to death in Montana and Wyoming a few years back, around the end of June, 1st of July. The first part June can be wet in the the Northwest but by the end of June, 1st of July it should be dry.
As far as miles per day. 400 miles a day for a group on the freeways is do able as long a rest stops and gas stop are kept reasonable. But on secondary highways it will be a stretch. Unless you ride long days. But then it all depends on the riders in the group.

You are going to have a lot of beautiful scenery all along the way.
If you are going to cross the border here in the N.W. either going or coming back lets get together.
Yes on the Passports or enhanced driver licences.
And if anybody in you group carries a gun. Either leave it at home of leave it in the U.S. DO NOT try to take it into Canada.
From the Northwest Corner.
Ron

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
Ditto on what Ron said about the handgun, you can't carry up here. Make sure you have new tyres on your bikes too, no point in taking the chance of roadside issues on a trip of this magnitude. Keep us posted on the dates and I'm sure there will be Wingers along the way to share the roads with you and the group. If you come my way on the return or to Anchorage (I live right off Hwy 2 which joins the Alaska Highway at Dawson Creek: "mile 0"), can offer you a hot cup of something if you care to or any other assistance you may need.

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, this is a bit of time aways but I like to plan and get things prepared...like change out things on the bike, etc.
Thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Tips to make a great ride... Book---MILE POST...FERRY--.ALASKA MARINE HIGHWAY SYSTEM From Hains, AK. south....she'll love ya...and you'll enjoy the break....we did it with four bikes in (98) and eight in (09)....we learned in team sports that you're only as fast as your slowest...with (4) or (8) the first bike in needs to wait for the last.....we traveled in August,,,,(98) warm most of the time with three days of rain,,,(09) not so good....August, the road work is winding down and was not to bad....we were told at roadwork stops, go to the head of the line....

·
Super Moderator
9,851 Posts
Take stuff you can layer on and off. You will use less stuff than you think. My opinion is "there is always a Walmart if I need it". Sounds like a good trip. Make sure you take pics to post.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Packing

I agree with Fossil. Did the two week trip this past summer. Took only what would fit in side bags and trunk. We did laundry several times at hotels like the Hilton Garden Inns... Figure out some areas where maintenance can be acquired along the route... We picked up a nail on a Sunday, and getting someone to assist was out of the question that day. Can delay the trip several days.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts