Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys! My name is Dustin and I live between Baton Rouge and New Orleans. I recently purchased a 2002 Goldwing and I am looking to make a trip Halloween weekend. I am 23 and have finally convinced the wife to ride with me since I bought this "Cadillac".I am looking to leave my hometown, Gonzales Louisiana and head up to the Smokies. I can't decide if I want to hurry up and get to the mountains then ride or take my time on the back roads. I will be leaving on a Wednesday night and returning on Sunday night. We will be sleeping in tents at campgrounds. Please feel free to give me some feedback of some routes you guys would take. I would love to finalize a route before I leave.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Tennesse has lots of great roads to travel, but I haven't traveled in your neck of the woods yet. Showing that you'll be going about 1,100 miles in just a few days doesn't leave a lot of time roaming back roads. The choice is yours, 8 hr on interstate and roughly two days exploring and 8 hr home or explore the whole way. GWRRA is having their national convention (Wing Ding) in Knoxville in July, which would give you and yours a great chance of meeting up with other winger's that know the area well and take you to some great rides.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Take the Natchez Trace up to where it crosses 72 just west of Cheorkee, AL, then take US-72 to I-24 and on in to Chattanooga.

Out of Chattanooga, head up I-75 to Cleveland and take US64/74 east to TN-68. Take that north to Tellico Plains. Stop at the Cherohala Skyway welcome center. They have lots of free maps and ride information. Then head east on the Cherohala Skyway to begin your Smokey Mt. adventure.

·
Super Moderator
14,413 Posts
If you are going to go there via the back roads then go up 61 to the Trace at Natchez. Taking a right in Alabama is okay, but I have riden it up to US 64 and then east to Chattanooga. I prefer to go over to I-59 and take the fast way up there and the back roads back. The Cherohalla Skyway from Tellico Plains, TN to Robbinsville, NC is a great ride. Really good trip over the mountains and be sure to take the side road to Bald River Falls. If you are comfortable on the bike and experienced then Hwy 129 the Dragon is a very twisty ride. Don’t overdo it on the first trip or your wife may not be willing to go again. Keep the rest stops regular and she will be happier.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts