Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Super Moderator
28,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here is another thread that actually is more of a survey.

The question is when you & significant other get on the Wing what is your average mileage duration on a single ride?

To start I will tell you wife & I on a 1 day hop on the bike to do something ride We will put average of 100-150 miles. If we have a specific destination or heading for the weekend we will typically go 350-550 miles a day depending where we are headed.

·
Premium Member
576 Posts
Duration

Fossil- can't get the wife to go, but typicaly anywhere from 300 to 1000 miles for a day trip, done (2) 1000 + mile day trips this summer. One was a pre-set trip the other, well it was a beautiful day so I just kept riding.:)

·
Super Moderator
28,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Awesome Matt,

Let me guess, you have kids at home? That would be the only way I could keep the wife off mine. Thankfully ours are grown & on their own so we get lots of riding in.

·
Premium Member
576 Posts
Yea you're right Fossil, two kids at home, The wife worries about something happening to the both of us on the bike and leaving the kids parentless. She does'nt mind when I go alone though, hmm, I must be expendable:D

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
the gf rides her wing, she has never been on the back of mine ( either one ). she ride an '84 naked wing and if she needs to carry anything she takes my 1200 wing. how far in a day depends on how we feel

·
Super Moderator
28,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am if nothing else perceptive. Actually I have friends in the same position. I tell them & now you "hang in there once the kids are grown you will have your fun together". I can tell you that it is a blast riding with the wife. It's good your wife is thinking of your children & that at least there is one resposible parent in the house, You know I always had the same issue.;)

·
Super Moderator
9,854 Posts
If I go out at night for a short jaunt it's usually around 50 - 75 miles. A normal day ride is about 100 - 250 miles. Trips on the othe hand vary. I traveled from northern Michigan to Wilkes Barre in a day and from Knoxvill, TN to home in a day. Those rides were on my GL1500 and were probably between 600 - 700 miles. The GL1800 has only has 2500 miles on her which included one 250 - 300 mile trip, but that will change in October with the BRP trip.

·
Premium Member
576 Posts
Thanks for the words of wisdom Bill.

·
Registered
15 Posts
My first and only trip (picked up an 08 last week) was from Orlando, Fl to Waddell, Arizona. 2,200 miles +/- 30 or so. Left Friday at 11:30 am and got home at 10 am Monday morning on labor day.

Day 1: Seat just fine, bike great.
Day 2: Bugs in the Gulf coast and the state of Texas taking its toll. God BLESS TEXAS though. Parts of it look like home & they have a 80 MPH speed limit on the open country on I-10. Thank God!

Day 3: Home at last

My wife likes the wing a lot and feels safer and more planted in the seat. Makes it all worthwhile.

I still have the trusty Concours and it is a fine bike. I will miss her very much. But the Wing is about everything I knew it would be. I would have croaked going that far on the old bike.

A good days ride, around Arizona would be 200-300 miles. I expect I will be doing a bit less short rides on the Goldwing, to pop into town. In that, the Concours would probably be handier. This Goldwing is headed up to Canada. I always wanted to see the Northern Lights!

This is a fine group of folks, much like the Concours Owners Group. The advise here is invaluable to a starter Goldwing owner. Thanks!

Dart

·
Super Moderator
28,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Dart,

Wife & I are scheduled to do cross country ride next year coming through Texas (I like that 80 MPH) into Arizona. Where's Waddell anywhere near Rt 66?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Rt 66

Bill,

Waddell is about 120 miles from old route 66 and an unincorporated part of Maricopa county. It lies just to the North and West of Luke Airforce base, West of Phoenix.

If you are taking I-40 across, you will head right into route 66. If you are taking that path anytime during the winter, really check on the weather. I-40 is known for black ice and very severe winter weather.

You might wish to grab the train from Williams up to the Grand Canyon. In Ashfork and Seligman, I believe there are still businesses which keep the route 66 theme alive.

Also, North of I-40, you might wish to go up on the Navajo reservation on hwy 191 to see Canyon de Chelly national monument. There is a lot to see on both the Navajo and Hopi reservations.

Dart

·
Super Moderator
28,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for info Dart.

The trip is as now June/July. We actually are planning to ride 66 from Seligman to Kingman. Can't wait for trip.

I am going to check out those other things though.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Does ky to Houston Tx in two days on a sportster count??? LOL (before we got the wing of course lol)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Yoowza Matt. Most I ever did in a day was 500 miles - two-up always. How many hours was involved in a 1000 mile day? My wife and I are planning a Seattle to Jacksonville, Fla trip next summer and would like to do a few high mile days.... but 1000? Wow.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I used to have to ride 500 to 600 miles to get home from Rallys in my working days. Now I enjoy 150 or less, and for sure 300 or 3pm and cold beer time. The best thing is if the weather gets bad just get a room and wait it out. Retirement is great!!!

·
Super Moderator
28,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Taco, I keep hearing this retirement thing from you, lonewolf, two wheel, & ronzilla.

I only hope I make it that far, but you guys definetely make me yearn for the days.:D

·
Registered
690 Posts
... HOWDY ... I DO MOSTLY DAY TRIPS ... 100 - 500 P/DAY ... ALSO I LIVE IN A RURAL AREA NEAREST FWY. IS OVER 70 mi. AWAY ... SO THE BIG MILE DAYS ONLY HAPPEN WHEN I GET ONTO THE SUPER SLAB ... HAPPY TRAILS ...

·
Registered
38 Posts
Duration

I live in Illinois been to Virgina Beach,carolinas,Tenn, Kentucky,KeyWest ,Texas,colo and more My wife and I do about 5 to 6 hundred aday on vac. Thats all been on a Harley Ultra. Just got a new 08 Wing I only have 1500 miles on it right now I think it's going to give us a better ride, I'll find out in June our first trip to YellowStone . Asa

·
Premium Member
576 Posts
Hello asa, I'm from N.W. Illinois what part of the state do you hail from?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts