Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well the Loopz and the Daytonas are installed and I have 'broken them in' by riding 200 miles on Saturday then another 200 miles on Sunday. Without using a sound pressure level meter all discussion regarding the 'loudness' of the pipes and mufflers is subjective of course. All youtube audio clips of these pipes/mufflers being revved in a driveway really tell you nothing about the true sound of changes made to the exhaust. The differences are heard under load, cruising and accelerating. I can give you my impressions and observations; perhaps this will help other in making decisions if contemplating the purchase of either or both items.

The Loopz at approx $270 and the Daytona mufflers at approx $430 make this a $700 change to the stock exhaust system.

Loudness:
The stock setup is obviously quiet and one of the many notable traits of the Wing. We all know what that degree of 'quiet' sounds like. The next step in increasing volume of sound would be the Torq Loopz pipes with the stock muffler combo. It is only just slightly louder but certainly deeper or lower in tone. I'd say it's like adding a bass note to a chord; or a baritone to a quartet. The tone is changed, there is a 'potential' to get louder but it stays muffled by the stock mufflers.. that's what they do right? Next in increasing 'loudness' is the stock exhaust manifold with the Daytona mufflers. It is a little louder at idle. You immediately notice the deeper sound and at idle you sense that it might growl noticeable on acceleration. And it does. I'd say that this increase in sound would be where those who are purists or those who just like the quiet Wing sound would object. It is not overpowering in anyway but it is now a different sounding bike. Finally, we get to cutting out the cats, fitting the Torq Loopz, replacing stock mufflers with Daytonas. This combo is first and foremost a completely different sound than any other motorcycle. It's not a Harley sound... not at all. it's not harsh or obnoxiously loud... not at all. BUT! It is noticeably louder, noticeably fuller/deeper and 'heavier' sound. This is NOT for everyone especially for Wingers who have enjoyed the sound of a stock Wing. This mod is something that you do if you want something different out of your Wing and consider a medium or moderate increase in volume as a plus or an acceptable compromise for whatever you are seeking. When I say medium, I am using the sounds of a stock Wing and a stock Harley Streetglide as reference points. You can tell on startup and idle but revving in the driveway is a only a hint. Personally, I think I'd call it loud for a Wing but it's not a loud motorcycle.

Performance:
I've seen the results of the dyno runs. According to those results there are gains of a couple/few hp and a few ft-lbs of torque. If you spend $700 on this mod looking for performance gains you will be disappointed unless you have your expectations set to a minimum. Can anybody really notice a 3hp increase on a Goldwing? From my seat of the pants measurements, there might and I emphasize MIGHT be some gains but then again I wouldn't be shocked if someone told me that actual results on my bike showed no measurable increase. Between spending money and seeking the confirmation of what I read combined with additional growl and rumble
it could be placebo effect. Don't get me wrong I like what I think I feel but I'd never tell someone to do this mod because of increases in horsepower and ft-lbs

Gas mileage:

Both day trips we identical routes. The roundtrip mileage of 200 miles each day consisted of smooth uninterrupted constant speeds of 60 mph for the most part. When the speed limit wasn't 60mph, it was 45mph or 55mph. Day 1 was calm; day 2 has some slight headwinds outbound. Day 1 I averaged 43mpg; day 2 was 42mpg. This is one up with minimal additional weight. These mileage numbers are no different than similar miles we ran on a recent trip where our speeds were roughly the same. In short, i don't really see any surprising gains in miles per gallon due to this mod. I won't bother to continue 'testing' but I always track my mpg... still I won't expect any improvements.

Summary:

I went into this mod NOT expecting any significant gains in power, performance, or fuel consumption. I just had my doubts that I would notice anything that would WOW me. I've done similar mods like this on other vehicles and results always seem to be minimally noticeable to me. I did want something different. I wanted my Wing to have a different sound; call it a little attitude. As I said earlier, this is not for everyone. My risk was that once I got this installed, I'd sound like a Harley with Screamin' Eagle exhaust. To each their own but that sound isn't for me. What I did get, I personally like and I like it a lot. To hear that 6 cyl open up and hum/brrrrrrrrrr like a big motorcycle just made me smile. It sounds like a true dual exhaust on a very solid tight 6 cyl engine and there is no other motorcycle sound out there like this. For another reference, I ride with earplugs and at cruise there is no noticeable difference in sound. There is no drone with any of the aforementioned combinations. There is no loud sound at cruise. I rode without earplugs and I liked the sound I heard. On acceleration there is a big difference. I like that difference but I am not always tearing up the roads... but sometimes i like to hear it and yes it makes me smile :). I wouldn't ride all day without earplugs but that's not because it's too loud; it's because even with the stock setup I ride with earplugs.

To wrap it up, I'd say if you want performance gains, the gains are too little to justify the $700 cost. If you're looking for gains in mpg you'd probably get more benefit out of packing lighter or in my case, just lose a few pounds :). If you want to tinker and spend money on your bike (which I consider my hobby) and you want some attitude coming out of that beautiful 1800cc 6 cylinder engine then you might consider the Torq Loopz and Torqmaster muffler combo for your bike. Some folks spend $800 to get chrome forks on a Harley; I spent $700 to get the sound I wanted... and I like the result.

·
Administrator
29,009 Posts
Excellent report Donald. Thanks for all the viewpoints per topic. Great job.

Now let's get ready to Rumble down the road.;)

·
Super Moderator
15,162 Posts
great writeup don but i'm doing mine on the cheap. my mufflers are starting to go bad from the inside so now i have the sound without the expence ;)

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
I also have the Daytona pipes installed. I agree with everything stated in the write, up which is very well done.

·
Premium Member
24,638 Posts
Very well written Donald. You echo my sentiments on the pipes only you went the extra mile with the Loopz. The only thing you didn't include is the visual presence of the Daytonas over the very mudane stock pipes...I think they add as much visually as they do verbally, and that is a huge gain in my estimation as well. Bigger, bolder and just a bit of growl to show that she may be a lady, but that a Lady can also have a bit of attitude as well as a sharp tongue.

·
Registered
306 Posts
The one thing that I have learned about aftermarket parts is that they are usually tested under best case conditions and the results are taken at higher rpm, generally over 5000 rpm. 7 HP gain is great for a 100 HP motor but rarely do I go over 3500 rpm so the results would probably not be noticed, but I bet it sounds great.

I think the next mod for me will be the rear Traxxion now that there is a local Honda dealer that is certified to install them.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Great review, I bought a bike with the Torq Master Tom Cat pipes installed and didn't like the sound, reinstalled the stock pipes. I loved the look of the pipes but not the sound. I did find out that there are baffles available from Torq Master. When you conducted your tests, did you have baffles installed? The dealer website says that will baffles installed they are "nearly as quiet as stock"...I wonder if anybody has tried the baffles???

·
Premium Member
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I did not try the baffles. Now that you mention it, I should have just for the completeness of the review. My guess would be that the baffles would decrease the decibles to nearly sock but you'd still hear a different tone. If you like the look but not the sound of you Tom Cats it's probably worth calling the guy at Torq Masters and he can suggest a set of baffles for you at a reasonable price.

·
Banned
103 Posts
I've been running loops and snakes for 3 years now. I did (do) notice a little bit on the performance side, nothing to run to the track over. The throttle feels crisper than it did before. I have an extra set of glass packs. He called them silencers. Never used them. If the ones, inside ever burn out, I put them in I guess. There is also a rumbling/gurgling sound as I back off, at slow speeds. Kinda like the old hot rods.

I'm happy with them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Donald, nice write up. I read that you should install a power chip to get the most out of the set up you have. If I understand you did not have any lean conditions with the fuel while running your test. I do run my 06 1800 hard at times (over 3500). I think it starts to sound good above 4800 Gerald

·
Premium Member
24,638 Posts
Dutch, as far as I know there are no chips or modules for the GL1800 motor. Would be nice though.

·
Premium Member
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Dutch I had no issues... none. It was a bit of an effort to get everything lines up and installed but other than that I have had no issues. I can say that after putting some miles on this setup I notice no real change in performance or mpg but I do like the sound/tone

·
Registered
5 Posts
Valkyrie 2014 Exhaust

Anyone have any luck with aftermarket exhaust for the new 2014 Valkyrie 1832cc Goldwing? I spoke with Torqmaster and Vance & Hines exhaust and neither one has any plans on an exhaust because of the limited number on the road. Both of which I don't understand because they both make them for the F6B. Wouldn't take much to fab up a pipe to fit the new frame.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
24,638 Posts
I haven't look closely at teh Valk exhaust pipes but the drilling mod that some guys have done with the stock Goldwing pipes may be an option. Nice thing about that is you can return the pipes back to stock with a simple plug.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.