Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't had a chance to ride a wing w/reverse yet.:(
I have a question about reverse. I understand the speed is restricted to 1kph, I have a 5x9 trailer that tilts, how does the bike handle in reverse going backwards down a grade? That is to say..will it pick up a bit of speed or just back down at that 1kph? Not just from a trailer, any down grade?

·
Premium Member
1,999 Posts
The reverse actually is running off the starter motor. I'm lucky to have long legs so it is rarely that I use it. I feel the least I use it the better.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info on your legs:D,but, will the bike it speed up if going backwards down an incline?

·
Premium Member
1,999 Posts
Don't know my man, but my guess is no.

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
no, it is engaged to the speed of the starter.

I understand that the starter is built pretty robust as they knew it is powering the weight albeit in slow motion. I don't temp fate by trying it with extreme grades or to get the front wheel out of a wheel chock.
It might be ok, it might not. I ride this like any other bike and just don't plan on backing up unless I use my legs too.
It is nice to have and have used a couple times on gravel or assist on a slight incline.

Others may have their own experiences with theirs but I baby mine.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, thanks guys:D I'm a "bit" vertically challenged...30" inseam,but, what I was more concerned about was backing off my tilt trailer.
BTW love2ride, I do have a removable Condor wheel chock on my trailer.
I know reverse runs off the starter, what I couldn't find out was if it would "freewheel" or pick up in speed. I know I can use the front brake, just didn't want a surprise the first time.:eek:

·
Registered
57 Posts
I'm new to Goldwings also and mine is a 1994 GL1500 Trike with a trailer and like they said the reverse is the starter goes into reverse polaritity and it turns slowly backword and it's like a creeper gear as it barely moves at least on mine. So if you are on a steep grade like a steep hill it should still move slowly back far enough for you to go or turn.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks fyimo; I read somewhere a few yrs ago that they have enough "balls" to back up over a curb..does that sound about right?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Also have a 30" inseam, and use reverse all the time, almost everytime. Figured it was on there to use, and I do. Its a fairly safe assumption that since reverse speed is in lock step with the speed of the starter, it won't gain speed backing down a grade, but might be a good idea to have a hand on the brake anyway. Another clue, when you kill the motor in reverse, the bike is locked up, won't roll either direction--good to remember in public parking areas.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Also have a 30" inseam, and use reverse all the time, almost everytime. Figured it was on there to use, and I do. Its a fairly safe assumption that since reverse speed is in lock step with the speed of the starter, it won't gain speed backing down a grade, but might be a good idea to have a hand on the brake anyway. Another clue, when you kill the motor in reverse, the bike is locked up, won't roll either direction--good to remember in public parking areas.
+1. I use it to back down an incline then back up a hill into my small garage evertime I ride. Could not do it without the reverse. Bike does not pickup speed when backing down an incline. Using the reverse would definetly be safer backing off a tilt bed trailer than letting it free wheel and using the hand brake alone.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Ok, thanks guys:D I'm a "bit" vertically challenged...30" inseam,but, what I was more concerned about was backing off my tilt trailer.
BTW love2ride, I do have a removable Condor wheel chock on my trailer.
I know reverse runs off the starter, what I couldn't find out was if it would "freewheel" or pick up in speed. I know I can use the front brake, just didn't want a surprise the first time.:eek:
The bike will not freewheel

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Great! That answers my question, thanks guys..I appreciate the feedback.:)

·
Super Moderator
11,800 Posts
The reverse is electronically controlled so as not to gain speed.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Bladerunner,
The reverse is in fact run off of the starter motor and it only runs at a set speed uphill or downhill. In fact, as you operate it you won't really need to use your brakes as the starter motor does this function for you too but it would be wise to be prepared just in case. Once you turn the 'reverse' off you will be back in to neutral and will coast again. Please note that the 'reverse' function is limited to a 60 second time length. I always use mine and limit use to about 10 seconds maximum and the let it rest a few seconds before using again if needed. Hope you have a GREAT riding summer!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have hauled my wing on my tilt bed car trailer and it backs down off of it slowly. As soon as you let off the reverse/starter switch the bike stops in its tracks. Mine has never picked up any speed when backing on steep inclines. It always has stayed a constant speed. I always also keep my hand on the front brake. The only thing that I have found at times on steep inclines is that once in a great while I have to let off the front brake to get the reverse to engauge, or sometimes just rocking it just a little works also. Safe Backing!!

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
The reverse actually is running off the starter motor. I'm lucky to have long legs so it is rarely that I use it. I feel the least I use it the better.
i feel the same and if you look at the price of a starter you wouldn't use it much either

·
Banned
3,204 Posts
I have a 94 Interstate which does not have the reverse. :( Only once have I had to have help backing up on an incline. As always now and before the wing, I am careful how I park using gravity in my favor.

Killing the motor in the reverse gear is a great anti theft tip!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts