Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
When I was on Vaction,I was talking to another Winger and he told me If I wanted to get 20 thousand miles off my front tire. Just to change the tire rotation Someone told him about it,So he Had his frt new tire put on in reverse Direction And said he has no problems . Has anyone heard about this or tried it??
We noticed that alot of Crotch Rockets rear tires were rotated,

·
Super Moderator
9,852 Posts
Directly from the AMA website speaking of tire reversal. I would not try it myself, but to each his own...

Rotation and balance marks
One of the more critical marks on a motorcycle tire is the rotation arrow, or arrows. Today's specialized tires generally have a tread pattern that must go in only one direction. Some manufacturers even state that their tread patterns are designed to disperse water, and by mounting the tire backwards, they won't work.

The other big reason for noting wheel direction has to do with the manufacturing process. The tread rubber is initially a flat strip that's cut to length, at an angle, and then spliced together with the two ends overlapping, creating a hoop. Under acceleration, a tire mounted backwards will try to peel back this splice. The opposite is true for the front wheel, where directional forces are reversed under hard braking.

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I dont think I want to try it, Life is to short

·
Registered
405 Posts
Maybe he was talking about putting a tire designed for the rear on the front. Several do this when running a car tire on the rear of 1800's. This is done, as far as I can tell, to have a tire on the front to last as long as the car tire on the front. I have a car tire on the rear but I stuck with a Bridgestone 709 for the front.

·
Registered
405 Posts
he had the rotation turned on his frt tire I saw the arrow going the wrong way
I am not disagreeing with you. I am just saying it may have been a rear tire put on the front. In this case a lot of riders mount it in reverse. The arrow will point the wrong way.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am not disagreeing with you. I am just saying it may have been a rear tire put on the front. In this case a lot of riders mount it in reverse. The arrow will point the wrong way.
this is up to your confort level, I've seen uni-directional tires for trucks(18 wheelers) mounted backwards that ran several thousand miles that way and seen no damage, and believe me when I say those tires do some hard braking.

I think the comments above are legalise to cover themselves of all posibilities. reversing the direction at worst will not disperse water as good as the swipes are directed backwards, if you are in a rainy area I would NOT do it.

on a side note relating to water on the road and slippery conditions.

I run a car tire (Michelin hydroedge) on my vtx's rear. I can't stand the sliperiness of the stock motorcycle Dunlops and my back can't handle that swaying around as it slips sideways on me.(damaged L1 to L4's)

I'm hoping to buy a Goldwing this year and will probably be doing a car tire on the rear of it as one of my first improvements.

for those that never will. the grip on that hydroedge is unbelievable,and the material softer than any motorcycle compound I found specs on, to the point of downshifting while stopping can be trilling at times ;)

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
The big problem is water displacement, the tread is designed for best traction and water displacement. Unless you mount it yourself I don't think you will find a shop that will mount it backwards, liability reasons. Keep an eye on the air pressure and balance and you will get great mileage from the correct tires going the correct tires on your bike.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I haven't looked yet but I figured that on a tire designed for the rear wheel (which provides traction) might be point the opposite of the front tire which don't get traction. THIS IS WHEN BOTH HAVE THE ARROWS POINTING THE WAY THEY ARE SUPPOSED TO. Therefore if you put a tire on the front that is manufactured for the rear wheel you would have to put it on the front backwards to get it to disperse water like a real front tire. Course the maker probably wouldn't be liable for a "rear" tire put on the front.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Ditto on what Joe says about liability, and what was posted about the tyre manufacturing process. I have no problems with riders doing the 'darksider' thing with the car hoops on the rear, bur I like the built in cornering advantages of a 'real' motorcycle tyre. I have seen alot of custom darkside applications, and they look pretty cool, just isn't my cup of tea. I'm neither an engineer or a manufacturer, so I prefer to believe that those that are know far better than I what really SHOULD work best.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts