Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2010 Goldwing / audio /comfort model. I have owned it since new and it has been reliable throughout the 10 years and 66,000 miles that i have owned it. Recently, when I put the wing into reverse, it would not move and made a clicking sound. After consulting the service manual, I adjusted the cables at right side of cycle. Now, when I push the reverse switch, the lights just dim,,,,,,,,no clicking sound at all. So, in addition, I have now grip or seat heat. Don't know if they are related or just coincidental. Any help appreciated.

Registered
First off, welcome to the forum.
Was your wing running when you selected reverse and specifically which cables did you adjust and in what manner? Helping people troubleshoot issues remotely is a lot easier for the technically savvy folks on this form to do if you can provide detailed information of what is going on and what you have tried. I am not trying to be critical, just trying to be helpful. :)

Registered
Adjusted the cables at the throttle grip ?
No, this would be the push-pull cables that connect the reverse actuator (under the inner cowl on the front-left side of the bike) to the reverse mechanism pulley on the right-mid side of the bike.

Registered
I had the same problem on and off with my 04. I read somewhere that too much weight can cause this. I started straddling the bike while in reverse and it worked fine from there on. Just a thought鈥

Administrator
I'll try and search this in my manual and see if I can find anything helpful

Registered
Have you verified that the reverse mechanism moves stop-to-stop when you engage and disengage Reverse?

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
No I have not. About to spend some time trying to find problem and will verify that the 鈥渞everse actuator鈥 engages. Thanks for help.

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
I was reading the service manuals troubleshooting flow chart and noticed that the kill switch was always off and the engine was not running during troubleshooting certain components. When I pushed the reverse switch while in neutral without engine running the reverse actuator works. Now it even works when engine is running and I now have reverse.

Registered
The handlebar buttons and switches seem to be potential trouble spots on our bikes. Some people advocate exercising them regularly to keep them working.
Glad you got it working again.

Registered
Discussion Starter #12
Now onto seat&grip heaters. I removed the left side saddle bag as per the service manuals flow chart. Why the heater control module is located where it is defies logic. The connector looks great and I don鈥檛 see any corrosion. The first two steps had me checking for battery voltage and I had voltage both times.Steps 3 thru 6 had me checking for ohms. In each case I do not measure any resistance at all. I have a hard time believing all 4 resistors/thermistors are open. Anyone had a problem where they lost all heat, front seat, rear seat, and grips?

Registered
Howdy and welcome. We had several threads on this problem years and years ago. Try this and see if it gets you anywhere. Threads were around 2012. Do a thread search on "Heated seats/grips update, still baffling".
Isaac

Registered
Now onto seat&grip heaters. I removed the left side saddle bag as per the service manuals flow chart. Why the heater control module is located where it is defies logic. The connector looks great and I don鈥檛 see any corrosion. The first two steps had me checking for battery voltage and I had voltage both times.Steps 3 thru 6 had me checking for ohms. In each case I do not measure any resistance at all. I have a hard time believing all 4 resistors/thermistors are open. Anyone had a problem where they lost all heat, front seat, rear seat, and grips?
Same problem exactly. Just had it repaired $750. Apparently all power flows through the left handle grip. After lots of trouble shooting...They replaced my left grip and everything else started working again. Hope this helps and helped you save $$$

1 - 14 of 14 Posts