Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi everyone, i have a problem with my reverse. i parked my 2002 goldwing and put it in reverse because i was on a grade, when i tried to take it out of reverse it would not release. so it is locked in reverse and also can not start it. the light does not go out. also the cruise light does not go out.

·
Premium Member
7,191 Posts
Your switch sounds like its sticky. Spray some contact cleaner from Radio Shack into the switch to loosen it up. Thats my best guess....Worked for my driving light switch.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thats an idea i havent really tried much of any thing yet its 50 miles from home. i was hoping to not have to haul it home. thanks

·
Premium Member
23,763 Posts
Contact cleaner or a can of WD-40. My starter swith would start the bike and then the headlights would go out. WD'd the starter switch and voila ! Lights on.

·
Super Moderator
28,449 Posts
The boys have you pointed in the right direction. Although I would not use WD 40 as my Va friend said. WD will leave a sticky coating
and in time pepetuate the problem. Go ahead & ask me how I know.

Contact Cleaner for sure. Works every time.

·
Premium Member
23,763 Posts
The boys have you pointed in the right direction. Although I would not use WD 40 as my Va friend said. WD will leave a sticky coating
and in time perpetuate the problem. Go ahead & ask me how I know.

Contact Cleaner for sure. Works every time.
Oh No. I don't want to know so I'm not going to ask. I'm happily ignorant right now. Of course we all know that happy is just a state of deferred sorrow.

·
Administrator
26,225 Posts
There could also be pressure on the driveline causing the reverse to stick. Happens on auto-clutch atv's all the time. Have you tried rocking the bike for and back some to see if it will release?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hey thanks everyone for the ideas i did haul it home this morning i havent tried anything yet i was more concerned with geting it home.
i did put it up on the center stand thinking maybe there was pressure on the drive train but no such luck. i do think youre probably all on the right track with the switches it does seem like it would make sense.thanks again everyone i will let you know how it turns out.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hey guys two shots of contact cleaner and the button popped right out, after spending all morning getting it hauled home. we are having excellant weather here in nd. it is 32degrees and no wind. nice enough for a ride. thanks again for the help everyone.

·
Banned
3,186 Posts
hey guys two shots of contact cleaner and the button popped right out, after spending all morning getting it hauled home. we are having excellant weather here in nd. it is 32degrees and no wind. nice enough for a ride. thanks again for the help everyone.
That is great news. The forum wins again!

·
Administrator
26,225 Posts
Glad you're sorted jd. It might have been good fortune and astute minds of our members that suggested the contact cleaner...don't think you mentioned that the rev button was actually stuck "in";) would have been a dead giveaway:D

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
actually i couldnt tell it was stuck in because i could still push it in but apparently it was not releasing all the way.

·
Premium Member
23,763 Posts
Woohoo. Keep a can with you at all times. It's a Wing Thing.

·
Premium Member
3,719 Posts
JD, I agree with the switches. According to my Honda mech, who also rides a GL1800, the lubricant dries out and becomes to thick to release. Every time I go in for scheduled maint more than an oil change, he opens the ALL the push button switches and puts in new lube provided I promise to use each of those switches frequently. If you ever have to use it, you'll probably find the same problem with the 4-way flasher switch. He also feels the WD40 fix will last a minute and then quickly make the problem worse than it was.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts