Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Reverse button on My 2006 Gold Wing does not immdiately engage when it is depressed usually requiring several attempts before locking in. Is this a lubrication issue or something more serious?

·
Premium Member
23,775 Posts
If " joe in calif " were here he would first say: spray some electrical contact cleaner into the switch and work it.

·
Premium Member
23,775 Posts
Thanks - would Radio Shack be a store where I could get this cleaner?
Probably. Home Depot, Lowe's, etc. It's not a specialty item. Some would even use WD-40. Any electrical department at any general retail might have something called " Electrical Contact Cleaner ". The important thing is to try it out and report back here with your success or failure. We learn as we go because all the old sages have either left us or downsized to other bikes.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
REVERSE button ISSUE revisited

The Reverse button on My 2006 Gold Wing does not immdiately engage when it is depressed usually requiring several attempts before locking in. Is this a lubrication issue or something more serious?
Probably. Home Depot, Lowe's, etc. It's not a specialty item. Some would even use WD-40. Any electrical department at any general retail might have something called " Electrical Contact Cleaner ". The important thing is to try it out and report back here with your success or failure. We learn as we go because all the old sages have either left us or downsized to other bikes.
I tried an electronic contact cleaner purchased from Radio Shack. After spraying a mist on the outside covering and working the button numerous times, I did get a positive result. When riding a few days later, the problem re-emerged. I brought the bike in about a week later for other work and reported this problem to the service writer who advised that Honda's first attempt at correcting this would be to spray with compressed air to dislodge any particulates that might be interfering with proper switch function. If problem persisted, replacement would be required. When applied, the compressed air spray did not work. So, replacement of the switch was the only alternative. Luckily, I had purchased the Extended Warranty option that was made available when the three yr factory warranty for new units expired. Consequently, there will be no cost to me for both part and labor. In hindsight, this was a good choice given the fact that I normally do not purchase Extended Warranty protection.

·
Premium Member
23,775 Posts
I tried an electronic contact cleaner purchased from Radio Shack. After spraying a mist on the outside covering and working the button numerous times, I did get a positive result. When riding a few days later, the problem re-emerged. I brought the bike in about a week later for other work and reported this problem to the service writer who advised that Honda's first attempt at correcting this would be to spray with compressed air to dislodge any particulates that might be interfering with proper switch function. If problem persisted, replacement would be required. When applied, the compressed air spray did not work. So, replacement of the switch was the only alternative. Luckily, I had purchased the Extended Warranty option that was made available when the three yr factory warranty for new units expired. Consequently, there will be no cost to me for both part and labor. In hindsight, this was a good choice given the fact that I normally do not purchase Extended Warranty protection.
" Never buy an extended warranty on a garage door opener; but if you can, buy one on a motorcycle ". ~ The Door Doctor / Goldwing Owner. Thanks for checking back in my friend.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
There is post step by step on how to take the switch apart and clean it but since you have the extended warranty that is the best way to go,

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Hey Joe, you must have wanted us to see your great looking bike but didn't post the intended switch thing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts