Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My first problem today with my new to me 2002 Goldwing. The reverse button got stuck on the reverse position and it took me a good 2 or 3mns pushing on this button to get it of the reverse position. I was afraid that I was going to get stuck forever on this parking space. I noticed the same problem with the cruise control button that gets stuck on the ON position. Would spraying WD40 on the buttons help? What do you folks suggest?
Thanks

·
Premium Member
23,464 Posts
I've never used anything but WD-40 on my sticking switches. It certainly worked for my Starter/ Reverse button and my radio volume Up/Down handlebar toggle. Can't hurt and it may cure.

·
Super Moderator
27,566 Posts
Unlike my musical friend, I use an electrical contact cleaner. Then blow out loosen dirt and crud with some canned air.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I sprayed contact cleaner and then some canned air and now the reverse button does not stay on when I press on it. It looks like the reverse and cruise control buttons mechanism inside is not operating properly either because it is broken or worned out. Is this button assembly on the left side easily removable and or replacable?

·
Premium Member
5,361 Posts
Well I sprayed contact cleaner and then some canned air and now the reverse button does not stay on when I press on it. It looks like the reverse and cruise control buttons mechanism inside is not operating properly either because it is broken or worned out. Is this button assembly on the left side easily removable and or replacable?
Ok, try the WD-40 now. :grin2:

·
Premium Member
23,464 Posts
Parallel universe, alpac. " liflyboy " has similar issues over on this thread. You two should team up: http://www.goldwingowners.com/forums/11-honda-goldwing-forum-general-discussion/107217-cruise-control-switch-won-t-stay.html

·
Super Moderator
27,566 Posts
@alpac here is a schematic breakdown of sorts on the controls. What you need to do to access the switches is take out the screws on the bottom (21/22) that will split the control, then you will have to disconnect things and further disassembly is required to get to the switch and remove it (19,12,23,8). Once you get the switch out you may be able to separate it (at least on the 1500 you can), and then that will get you to the inner workings of the switch itself.

It's a bit of a trying task but one that is chock full of accomplishment when completed.:grin2:

http://www.hondadirectline.com/OEMpartfinder.htm#/Honda/GL1800A_(02)_GOLD_WING,_USA,_VIN#_1HFSC470-2A100001_TO_1HFSC470-2A199999/HANDLE_SWITCH_(1)/GL1800-02-A/2Y14MCA1E1AMCA4F0400A

Pay little attention to the two posters prior. :LaughHard:

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
@alpac here is a schematic breakdown of sorts on the controls. What you need to do to access the switches is take out the screws on the bottom (21/22) that will split the control, then you will have to disconnect things and further disassembly is required to get to the switch and remove it (19,12,23,8). Once you get the switch out you may be able to separate it (at least on the 1500 you can), and then that will get you to the inner workings of the switch itself.

It's a bit of a trying task but one that is chock full of accomplishment when completed.:grin2:

http://www.hondadirectline.com/OEMpartfinder.htm#/Honda/GL1800A_(02)_GOLD_WING,_USA,_VIN#_1HFSC470-2A100001_TO_1HFSC470-2A199999/HANDLE_SWITCH_(1)/GL1800-02-A/2Y14MCA1E1AMCA4F0400A

Pay little attention to the two posters prior. :LaughHard:
Excellent thanks

·
Administrator
25,984 Posts
I'd keep trying the cleaner multiple times before tearing into the innards. Spray the switch while working the button at the same time. Cover the surrounding areas with a drop cloth to avoid making a mess of the rest of your bike.

·
Premium Member
23,464 Posts
I'd keep trying the WD-40 multiple times before tearing into the innards. Spray the switch while working the button at the same time. Cover the surrounding areas with a drop cloth to avoid making a mess of the rest of your bike.

Same here. Most Goldwing switches go bad from lack of exercise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
485 Posts

It's a bit of a trying task but one that is chock full of accomplishment when completed.

http://www.hondadirectline.com/OEMpa...1E1AMCA4F0400A

Hey Fossil,

I looked at these schematics, and it looks like they are reversed in the picture, like you're looking from the front of the bike, not in the saddle. Note the kill switch is on the LEFT side of the diagram, so the screws would be #21 and #21, and the switch would be 5, 24, 4 and 20???? Correct me if I'm wrong.

I've heard that when you take this apart, there are small parts, springs, etc to fly across the garage, but I don't see any of that on the schematic. The picture looks so easy!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
FIXED! This evening I sprayed some brake cleaner in the switches and presse on them a few times and now both reverse and cruise control buttons work like new,

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the same problem with the cruise and reverse switch. After spraying them with electronics cleaner they worked. For piece of mind I took my '02 to the dealer and had them go thru the switches and use dielectric grease on them. Works like brand new. They charged me $80 but the piece of mind was well worth it.

·
Super Moderator
27,566 Posts

It's a bit of a trying task but one that is chock full of accomplishment when completed.

http://www.hondadirectline.com/OEMpa...1E1AMCA4F0400A

Hey Fossil,

I looked at these schematics, and it looks like they are reversed in the picture, like you're looking from the front of the bike, not in the saddle. Note the kill switch is on the LEFT side of the diagram, so the screws would be #21 and #21, and the switch would be 5, 24, 4 and 20???? Correct me if I'm wrong.

I've heard that when you take this apart, there are small parts, springs, etc to fly across the garage, but I don't see any of that on the schematic. The picture looks so easy!
Yes that is correct, that view is from the front of the bike.

I have taken apart three of these now on 1500's and you just need to be careful as doing so. It isn't a disastrous job. Some of things I do is work on the floor of the garage (so nothing can fall and bounce away), work on a new clean bright blue tarp (Harbor Freight -either free or $5). I keep one for just said tasks (small parts repairs) that way if a part falls it is easy to find. 3rd and final thing I do is take a quick picture with the phone as I am removing things in case I forget exactly how something was positioned.

FIXED! This evening I sprayed some brake cleaner in the switches and presse on them a few times and now both reverse and cruise control buttons work like new,
I would typical not use brake clean myself just because I know it's not very plastic friendly however I am glad it worked. My only comment would be now you may want to squirt either WD40 or Lithium Grease in also because brake clean may remove all the lubricant that was in the switch... No judging just offering an opinion

I had the same problem with the cruise and reverse switch. After spraying them with electronics cleaner they worked. For piece of mind I took my '02 to the dealer and had them go thru the switches and use dielectric grease on them. Works like brand new. They charged me $80 but the piece of mind was well worth it.
I did this same thing with the switches that I disassembled. The only way to ensure that all is well. Besides replacement that is.

·
Premium Member
17,168 Posts
I never thought of using Brake Cleaner on the bikes switches, I'll have to look into that. I know it works great on freeing up the Dead Bolt lock one my shops.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Used the brake cleaner again on the mute button this time which I discovered today was stuck too. Had not paid attention to it until this afternoon. That worked again. I followed the above advice and sprayed contact cleaner/lubricant once the button was working again.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts