Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased 83 interstate. had been sitting for unknown length of time all fluids are clean filled with fresh gas and new battery. engine started right up. three cylinders running. current exhaust short pipe on each cylinder so easy to tell which ones are firing. the problem is with cylinder 3.
When running it back fires and blows flame out exhaust but exhaust temp on this cylinder is much lower than other 3. I have checked valve adjustment and it is in specs. I also checked timing belts and they look new. Also when i pilled valve covers engine looked new inside bike shows 53k I suspect carb issue but this is my first encounter with this engine.
Any help would be appreciated

·
Premium Member
10,832 Posts
Just purchased 83 interstate. had been sitting for unknown length of time all fluids are clean filled with fresh gas and new battery. engine started right up. three cylinders running. current exhaust short pipe on each cylinder so easy to tell which ones are firing. the problem is with cylinder 3.
When running it back fires and blows flame out exhaust but exhaust temp on this cylinder is much lower than other 3. I have checked valve adjustment and it is in specs. I also checked timing belts and they look new. Also when i pilled valve covers engine looked new inside bike shows 53k I suspect carb issue but this is my first encounter with this engine.
Any help would be appreciated
You need to check the spark plug/replace and see if you have a strong spark.
Will the motor run on 4 clys if you spray starting fluid into the carby. If it runs with starting fluid, clean the carbs.
If you have good spark, and it is not a fuel problem. Do a compression test and a wet compression test. There maybe a valve problem, if the wet test doesn't bring the compression up, a valve is not sealing.

By the way welcome to GWOF.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have swapped plug with good cylinder with no change. I have sprayed carb cleaner on carbs looking for vacuum leak, when i spray back side of #3 carb by choke linkage RPM goes up. I have been unable to check compression because I need adapter to fit the thread in head, I checked spark using a timing light and also checked continuity. was same as cylinder next to it. If i didn't have fuel and some spark I would not get blue flame and back fire in exhaust I just dont know if lean fuel or weak spark could cause symptoms
Thanks for your help

·
Registered
48 Posts
A common issue with the older 4 cylinder wings was with age of the rubber O-rings on the carb down tubes to the heads. Also the rubber connector on the tubes where they connect to the carb would dry-rot and crack. This would allow air to be sucked in creating a lean condition. I suggest starting the engine and spray around these areas to see if the rpm changes while spraying. https://www.hondadirectline.com/OEMpartfinder.htm#/Honda_Motorcycles/GL1100IA_(83)_GOLD_WING_INTERSTATE,_USA,_VIN#_1HFSC021-DA300101/CYLINDER_HEAD/GL1100I-83-A/2Y14MB9DAE14MB9D03A #7/8 Manifold A/B If the exhaust header on the cylinder does have heat but not as much as the other it may also be a concern with the vacuum slide sticking not allowing the carb to react to the demand and not allow additional fuel to be introduced to meet demand. https://www.hondadirectline.com/OEMpartfinder.htm#/Honda_Motorcycles/GL1100IA_(83)_GOLD_WING_INTERSTATE,_USA,_VIN#_1HFSC021-DA300101/CARBURETOR_COMP._I/GL1100I-83-A/2Y14MB9DAE14MB9D2301A (#8)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
UP date today, #3 cylinder has 0 compression, # 1 has 90, #2 88, #4 90. timing belts look new. Time to pull head, Hope piston is OK. Anything to watch for when pilling head?

·
Registered
48 Posts
UP date today, #3 cylinder has 0 compression, # 1 has 90, #2 88, #4 90. timing belts look new. Time to pull head, Hope piston is OK. Anything to watch for when pilling head?
Before tearing into it remove the spark plug and put a few squirts of motor oil into the cylinder and see it the compression rises. If it does the rings are stuck. If no change it is in the head area most likely a head gasket. Check the coolant for soot or oil and check the oil for a milky look from coolant contamination. Another possibility is there is a valve that has bent valve or excessive carbon build up preventing the valve to close. Something also to check is the valve lash (Too Tight) and check belt timing. If some one changed the belts they may have the cams out of time. But most common issue is a blown head gasket. Most of time the gasket blows out in the coolant area and the pipes puff out steamy smoke.

If you need to pull the head it is pretty straight forward but use a manual for guidance as there are certain processes in order when reassembling.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Glad to hear what the issue is (bent valve). Be sure to check the valve guide is not cracked. Also while you ae in there remove the other valves and clean them up too. Clean the head gasket off good and surface stone the head and matting area to be sure you have a good seal. Do not use any Permatex on the gasket and advise to use only a genuine Honda head gasket. I have seen other cheaper brands fail.

I suspect the valve was bent during a cam belt replacement as that is the most common cause. So be sure of the timing marks of the crank and belt pulley during reassembly.

Good luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Went to buy parts today and found out intake valve is no longer available. Dealer I buy all my parts from hopefully foud ont at a dealer in CA, will know if they still have it tomorrow

1 - 10 of 10 Posts