Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting a 83 1100 Goldwing that I'm going to bring back to life.
The guy who owned it bought it new, and took meticulous care of the bike. In 2003 after making a long road trip with the Goldwing, he fell ill and died. He didn't even unpack his gear, the bike is still parked just as he left it in 2003 in his mothers rented unheated garage. She is now too old to drive and no longer needs the garage and says the bike has to go.
I thought this would be a good place to go for advice. I was an auto mechanic for many years and I've owned and repaired bikes before, but I've never touched a Goldwing before. So I would appreciate any pointers or advice I can get about any special Goldwing things to check and so on.
I know I'm looking at new tires and new battery. I'm thinking the carbs will have to come off and be cleaned and or rebuilt.
I'm also worried about what shape the gastank is in.

Any help will be much appreciated.
Thanks!
Cruisin

·
Super Moderator
15,217 Posts
rebuild the carbs you can get rebuild kits here ... http://www.randakks.com/
get the gas tank flushed out too. do an oil change, put in a battery, do a tuneup, and fire it up. if its running good change all fluids and the timing belts, check brakes, service the driveshaft and rear gear. check head and swingarm bearings. check speedo and tach cable. get new tires

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks William for the reply.
I hadn't thought about the timing belt.
I have a feeling the parts list will keep growing.

·
Administrator
26,225 Posts
Belt(s) Cruisin! One for each cylinder bank. You can get them at NAPA for about $40 I think. Over and above that list detdrbuzzard gave you, it would be a good idea to thoroughly inspect all rubber hoses and lines. The bike was in good order when it stopped, so hopefully things aren't too deteriorated.
Oops, forgot you were in Germany, maybe some auto supply store that sells Gates belts can cross reference them for you; Honda replacement belts will be quite dear on your wallet if you can find them.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh! so there's two belts. Well I'm already learning:)
There's a big motorcycle parts and gear company in germany called Louis. I saw they have the carb kits for 17.00 euro each. I didn't see the timing belts, but I'll look again. Getting bike stuff at a auto parts store is tough here. The mindset is that you buy auto parts at the auto parts store, and you buy bike parts at the motorcycle store. I once needed some 8mm fuel hose for my other bike, I went to an auto parts store thinking this should be easy. When I asked for some 8mm fuel hose, they asked what do you need it for? I said for a motorcycle. They said we don't have motorcycle parts here, you will have to go where they sell motorcycle parts. I said, but it' just a rubber hose! They said they can't help me.:mad:

Thanks Budoka for the heads up.
Cruisin

·
Super Moderator
15,217 Posts
it might help you find timing belts at the auto parts store so here are some parts numbers for the belts
gates belt #t-274
napa belt #250274
goodyear gatorback belt #40274

·
Administrator
26,225 Posts
Got any buds back home that are close to a NAPA store? They could send you a set of belts:D

·
Super Moderator
9,870 Posts
Congrats on what looks like a great project. First thing is to get a good shop/service manual. Folks on the forum can give advice, but a manual will show you how to accomplish the tasks. Good luck and post some before and after pics. Ride safe and enjoy the forum...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Charlie for the congrats.
Fixing things is the only thing I was ever really good at.
I'm really looking forward to getting started.
I have a manual, but sadly it's in german. I should be able to download one online. (I Hope)
I'll be sure to post some pics.

Cruisin

·
Super Moderator
14,465 Posts
Good luck on the project. I like seeing older rides kept running. Show us some pictures if you get a chance.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Welcome from Massachusetts . Gas tank is plastic And you can take it out and flush it ,If needed.Check the 3 yellow wires to the left of battery, the connector cooks and will affect the charging system very important . Just cut out the connector ( one set of wires at a time) and rewire and solder and cover with heat shrink .there is a picture available dont remember it now but im sure someone here does. Ill check and see if i can find it. Good luck and once again welcome

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank's tedmass for the information about the tank, and the link.
I was hoping the tank was plastic. Many old bikes that have set for years have the bottom of the tank rusted out due to condensation.

Cruisin

1 - 15 of 15 Posts