Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering how the reserve works on my 83 wing. Since the petcock has a setting for 'reserve', there must be a separate chamber in the tank. How does gas get into the reserve part and does gas slosh in and out of it as I ride. I ask, because if you never use the reserve setting, does the gas sit in there and get 'old'?

rich:confused:

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
Someone will know for sure on your specific bike but typically, there is 1 tank with upper and lower hose.
Normal- upper hose
Switch petcock
Reserve-opens to allow what is left in tank to drain.

No issues with old gas or separate tank.

google specs on your bike and it should provide what that amount is in the bottom. my last Honda had .7 gal or about 30 more miles to gasp.

·
Premium Member
11,008 Posts
Welcome to GWOF from Down Under. Can't say what the 83 gas tank is but my 84 has no reserve,it has a gas gauge as in your car. Eric

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
As love2ride said, the petcock has 2 pickups or metal tubes on it, one is longer than the other, the shorter is the reserve, when you switch it over to reserve it gets fuel from that tube. There is no separate tank so all the fuel mixed together just like any other fuel tank.

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
Fyi,

this why the manual is adament about telling you to turn the petcock back to run when you do gas up while it is still on your mind.

If you forget, it may be next week or the next decade but your bike will run as normal but when you run out, you will then only be talking on the phone because there won't be a warning or a reserve to get you any further down the road.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts