Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1988 GL-1500. Finest motorcycle I've ever owned! It now needs a new speedometer cable, which I have purchased from a local dealer. I have a service manual for this bike, and have followed every instruction in the Removal of the Instrument Panel. After you remove the housing (Which the service manual calls the Instrument Panel) you have access to the screws that mount the instruments. Once you remove them, you can lift the instrument cluster, and remove the speedometer cable from the back of the speedometer.

My problem is, everything around the instrument panel housing is loose except the bottom, where the air ducts which bring air from the front of the faring to the rider. The panel is somehow very solidly attached to something. At the moment I'm stumped as to what.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Skip

·
Premium Member
17,147 Posts
There are two little tabs on the top and bottom of the vents that hold the vent in. Kind of a pain to get at. A dental pick works but takes a lot of patients. You can also try sliding a stiff piece of plastic like a credit card in between the vent and the dash.
Also the radio has to be pulled back, there is a tab on each side of the radio panel that slip into loops on the bottom of the dash.
As long as you are at it, take a look at the drive gear at the axle to be sure it isn't worn. One screw and you can pull it out for a look.
Hope this helps. If not come back.
From the Northwest Corner
Ron

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
when I changed speedo cables I never took the dash apart, Just reach under the dash and unscrew the cable, It's been many years since I did one but I think I Just reached up from under the front of the fairing.

·
Premium Member
17,147 Posts
You are right Joe, it can be done that way. Just need strong finger and hold your mouth just right, and I as recall maybe a couple of bad words. All kidding aside Strong fingers will do it, it's a tight fit.
Ron

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
We just went through the speedo cable replacement on my son's 97 GW. After all the cussin and fightin the thing, we realized that all we really had to do was undo the connection at the front axle and pull the old cable out and then grease and shove the new one back up through to the speedo. Only one disconnect and re-connect. Might try that before all the other stuff. And the 97 has to have a specific cable which is "forked" at the wheel hub end. A common speedo cable will not work. :D

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Resonse to Ron Robertson

There are two little tabs on the top and bottom of the vents that hold the vent in. Kind of a pain to get at. A dental pick works but takes a lot of patients. You can also try sliding a stiff piece of plastic like a credit card in between the vent and the dash.
Also the radio has to be pulled back, there is a tab on each side of the radio panel that slip into loops on the bottom of the dash.
As long as you are at it, take a look at the drive gear at the axle to be sure it isn't worn. One screw and you can pull it out for a look.
Hope this helps. If not come back.
Ron
Ron, Thanks very much for taking the time to respond to my speedometer cable replacement problem. My wife has had me on another product, but this weekend I'm going to spend with the Wing. I'm a little disappointed that the 1988 GL-1500 Honda Service Manual I have doesn't mention these tabs. The final step just says......"and remove the instrument panel"

Thanks Again,

Skip Gwyer

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Forgot to Mention.......

when I changed speedo cables I never took the dash apart, Just reach under the dash and unscrew the cable, It's been many years since I did one but I think I Just reached up from under the front of the fairing.
Joe, I forgot to mention, the reason I couldn't just replace the inner cable, is I had a broken housing on the front wheel end. That was the reason I had to replace the cable. I couldn't fasten it to the wheel securely any more....

Skip

P.S. Just happened to catch your saying about being born an dying. An interesting way to put it, and a good piece of evangelism. Being born again thru baptism and believing in Jesus is the only way not to die twice. God Bless you!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Speedometer cable replacement

Ron,

I want to thank you again for your help in getting the instrument panel housing free. With a couple of injured fingers, and 2 small bladed screw drivers, I managed to release the tabs at the top and bottom of the vents and get the housing off. The rest was a piece of cake!

Thank you so much! As I was telling Joe, I couldn't just replace the inner cable. The reason I had to replace the cable was the housing at the wheel end was broken, and I could no longer secure it to the wheel.

Skip

You are right Joe, it can be done that way. Just need strong finger and hold your mouth just right, and I as recall maybe a couple of bad words. All kidding aside Strong fingers will do it, it's a tight fit.
Ron

1 - 8 of 8 Posts