Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gooday, I've got a new-to-me 15 year old unit with just 37k miles on it and will be replacing the fork seals and bushings because of a slight leak.
My question is: should I also replace the springs while I'm at it?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Probably not required, but while you're in there, it would be a good time to do an upgrade. Adding a set of Progressive or Traxxion springs to your service should keep your front end solid for another 20,000 miles. I'd also go all in on fluid changes. The one thing that will keep a Goldwing going for many trouble free miles is staying on top the scheduled fluid changes. Good luck and ride safe.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Everybody is different I guess but I preferred the original ones after all it’s comfy tourer.
I did put a Hyperpro rear spring on and top up the pump oil that did make a difference and the rear feels nice .

·
Registered
5,103 Posts
Might I make a suggestion. Before you do all this, have you tried SealMate. It's a product that you slide up between the rubber on the fork seals and slide it around 360 degrees. Many times the seals get a grain of sand or dirt in them and cause a small leak. The sealmate grabs the grain of sand or dirt and stops the leak. Worth a try in my opinion. Here is their website. [email protected]
Isaac

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Gotta say that's why these forums are so useful, what a great little money saving tool is SealMate! If I was a motorcycle mechanic I'd never repeat what I just learned from you DreamWeaver :)
However, because I've already bought the parts, including OEM springs (might as well replace them while I'm in there) I'm committed to following through with the job and will at least have peace off mind that it's all taken care of.
Cheers!

·
Registered
5,103 Posts
Well, I would at least try the Sealmate first just to see if it could have fixed the problem. If you don't want to buy a sealmate, some have used some 35mm film pieces and have had similar results. But thats just me. I had a leak and tried sealmate and it fixed it. I wanted Progressive anyway and It gave me time to save up the money for the Progressive rebuild. Glad you have the parts, just be squeeky clean when re-assembling the tubes. Have fun...I think there is a thread on here about fork rebuilding. It was years ago and I've slept since then so I can't point you to it right now. Might try doing a search for fork rebuild.....Take care...Isaac

·
Registered
208 Posts
I made my own Sealmate tool from the flat side of an oil bottle.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts