Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a trailer for my 1200. The trailer was a custom built...all the lighting (running, turn signals, brakes) is standard bulb. I am wondering if it is worth the trouble to switch out all the bulbs with LEDs...I am wondering if there is a significant benefit to minimizing the current the trailer draws from the bike.

Any Ideas??

Thx! :D

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Given that you have a 1200, I'd say the least amount of draw you can put on the system the better. Lots of the older bikes (1100's and 1200's) had issues with the amount of draw the extra lighting put on the charging systems. Some guys even put extra batteries into one of the saddlebags to compensate for the draw, never taking into consideration the voltage output required to charge the extra battery.

·
Super Moderator
9,847 Posts
I agree with budoka on this one. He's right about the 1200's. The less draw on the battery and charging system the better. The 1500's with Compufire alternators and the 1800's do a much better job with extra light requirements.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Rather than just replace the bulbs, I'd look at using lights that were designed with LEDs. Here is why....housings that were designed for incandescent bulbs have prisms inside the lens. They were designed to gather up the light energy and create even illumination. LEDs light housings don't have prisms....they use a projection dome that increases the light dispersion angle. LEDs are really not known for wide angles and need the help. The prisms in the incandescent housings make LED bulbs look dim.

Hope that helps.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts