Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone replaced the LCD display in a 1500 SE? Ron Ayres has it available for around $400 but I need to know haw dificult it is to replace. My Clymer manual says to refer any repairs such as this to the dealer. Idon't want to spend the money if I can't do the work or will screw up the display.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
I just checked the Honda manual and I can't find anything but schematics. While it may be fair technical in nature it shouldn't be that bad. Maybe trike lady and her electronic wizardry has some tips.

·
Premium Member
17,147 Posts
It's not real hard just takes some time, a lot of stuff has to come off.
The seat,radio,tape player, key panel, left and right fairing pockets, mirrors, windshield garnish, and windshield,then the dash cover.
I might suggest that while you have the dash off replace the all light bulbs. buy them by the box it's cheaper.
To bad we don't live closer,I've done it on a friends 95, I could give you a hand.

·
Premium Member
629 Posts
Like Ron said it is not really hard to do but you do have to remove alot of stuff. Once you get there it is simple to unplug the old LCD and then plug in the new. Like Ron suggests I would replace all the light bulbs while in there.

Are you replacing it cause the old one is bad? Did it get wet?

I have seen somewhere a thread on how to make an LCD panel water proof....now if I can just find it......

FOUND IT !!!!!!!!

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/1500clockfix.htm

·
Super Moderator
7,668 Posts
Gee, everybody beat me to this one.
Before you plug anything in remember to always check the connectors and make sure they are firmly seat in the plastic housing, make sure the pins ad sockets are free of corrosion and introduce dielectric grease to the connections and if you change the bulbs add a touch there also.
I was going to say that they are easy to replace, it's just a lot of disassembly to get to the gauge cluster.

·
Premium Member
17,147 Posts
A while back(years ago)there was a problem with the LCD,that some tied to the Tulsa windshield. Seem the angle of the windshield was thought to focus the suns rays on the dash when at the right angle. This caused the LCD gel to dry in some areas.. That's why some of the LCD lost parts of the display. I don't have a Tulsa, but still cover the dash when the wing has to set out in the sun.
I mention this as a caution and something to be aware of.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
That's a good tip Ron, we should all be careful with our bikes and the angle of the searing sun. If it fries our skin, no reason it wouldn't do damage to display screens.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts