Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My year old Goldwing has 6,850 miles on it and already the stock tires need to be replaced. I don't ride two up, don't carry much additional weight (and I weigh about 200 lbs.), rarely start out fast, and almost never have the bike in sport mode. Except for the low mileage, I don't see any abnormal wear.
I've been riding for 43 years and I never had a front tire wear out at the same time as a rear tire. Could there be something wrong with my bike? Can this be normal for a Goldwing?
If I search your website, I'm sure I'll find lots of what-tires-to-buy advice, but if anyone would be willing to tell me the motorcycle tires they buy that have a good compromise between handling and wear, I sure would appreciate it.
Thank you.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
I am not sure what brand tires are going on the '18 up wings, so can't truly help you with the wear characteristics.
When I was still riding my 1500 I used Dunlap E3s and both ends seemed to always wear out about the same time with about 16-20000 miles on them. With my 2nd gen. 1800 I can't help you either...... I went Darkside and I am on the second front tire since mounting my CT on the rear. The first front lasted about 14k miles...... will have to wait to see on the 2nd. My rear has about 25k on it and still at least 1/2 left. Read my signature and you will know what I am using on the rear. The NEW wing, people are still learning about

·
Registered
250 Posts
Bridgestones are the stock tires. 16k on mine and they still look good. I can’t imagine wearing out tires that fast. Been riding goldwings since 2013 and have always gotten at least 20k on stones or Dunlops. Low tire pressure will cause excessive tire wear very quickly.

Reactions: NREMTP

·
Premium Member
6,423 Posts
Do you have pictures of your tires?

I barely got 9,000 miles out of my tires....I do ride a bit aggressive. Saying that my stock tires from the factory were Dunlop’s. I went to an E4 front and a CT Yokohama Envigor rear. I know the previous E3 tires lasted somewhat longer, the E4s are supposed to last even longer.
20190924_153421.jpg

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
I suppose it could also have something to do with what the roads are made of.... some surfaces wear tires quicker

·
Administrator
25,891 Posts
That is not normal by any stretch. I'm hard on jy tires and have yet to get less than 12k out of them. Then new 200 series tires should be better for wear then the previous 180s were. But I don't have the new 1800 so I really can't attest to mileage on them

Reactions: NREMTP and Luv2fish

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am not sure what brand tires are going on the '18 up wings, so can't truly help you with the wear characteristics.
When I was still riding my 1500 I used Dunlap E3s and both ends seemed to always wear out about the same time with about 16-20000 miles on them. With my 2nd gen. 1800 I can't help you either...... I went Darkside and I am on the second front tire since mounting my CT on the rear. The first front lasted about 14k miles...... will have to wait to see on the 2nd. My rear has about 25k on it and still at least 1/2 left. Read my signature and you will know what I am using on the rear. The NEW wing, people are still learning about
Hi DSurley,
Thank you very much for your helpful replies.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bridgestones are the stock tires. 16k on mine and they still look good. I can’t imagine wearing out tires that fast. Been riding goldwings since 2013 and have always gotten at least 20k on stones or Dunlops. Low tire pressure will cause excessive tire wear very quickly.
Hi Ironhorse1954,
Thank you for your reply. I tried to keep the tires inflated to recommended pressures, and was scolded by the tire pressure monitoring system if I didn’t!
Dave M.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That is not normal by any stretch. I'm hard on jy tires and have yet to get less than 12k out of them. Then new 200 series tires should be better for wear then the previous 180s were. But I don't have the new 1800 so I really can't attest to mileage on them
Thanks Budoka

·
Registered
13 Posts
wow that very short Unless something wrong i would double check the tire pressure monitoring make sure its right maybe theirs a calibration sensor i got 17,000 out of my tires

·
Administrator
25,891 Posts
12k miles is very respectable in my experience. I got just under 14k on my last set of Excedras on the 2009 with Centramatics and 40 PSI rear and 38 front. Hard riding and extreme temps too boot. Very satisfied.

Reactions: Luv2fish and NREMTP
1 - 12 of 12 Posts