Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had fork seals replaced a week ago, have about 250 miles on new seals and they are leaking as bad as the ones replaced. The shop that did the work is going to stand behind their job and install another set. This time going to use a different brand seal, he said this was first time he used the brand he installed and will install brand he has used in the past. I have had work done at this shop before, he has been in business for many years.

·
Premium Member
1,999 Posts
A few years ago I went to a shop that my cousin found in the city. He was a young guy that owned it, and they did sport bikes for the most part. He assured me not an issue to fix my fork seals on my 1500, and I took a chance out of convenience. The seals started leaking again almost immediately after it was so called fixed so I took it back to him. He said, not a problem, leave it with him for a few hours. Still leaked and I just never went back to him. Lesson learned, I will be inconvenienced and take it to my shop a couple hours away up north.

I hope you get better results then I did.

·
Premium Member
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Took bike back to shop this morning, got bike back at about 5:00 this afternoon. New seals in, rode about 30 miles so far so good. Fork tubes show no signs of leakage. The shop owner/mechanic stood behind his work, no charge to me, as it should be.

UPDATE: Rode another 130 miles today (5/17/18) seals are still all good.

·
Administrator
26,311 Posts
Good news Jim. The problem with fork seals is they are subject to likely the worst treatment and conditions of just about anything on our bikes. A big, heavy, very capable machine that is often put through paces that Honda never imagined during R&D or testing. Sure, they did their due diligence, but we as owners often subject our bikes to things far and away beyond what was ever predicted. I mean things like over loading (beyond spec), pot holes and road hazards, road debris contamination, bugs, rock chips...all come in direct contact with the leading edge of the bike: namely the fork tubes. Not a happy place in the general scheme of things.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Good news Jim. The problem with fork seals is they are subject to likely the worst treatment and conditions of just about anything on our bikes. A big, heavy, very capable machine that is often put through paces that Honda never imagined during R&D or testing. Sure, they did their due diligence, but we as owners often subject our bikes to things far and away beyond what was ever predicted. I mean things like over loading (beyond spec), pot holes and road hazards, road debris contamination, bugs, rock chips...all come in direct contact with the leading edge of the bike: namely the fork tubes. Not a happy place in the general scheme of things.
Well said, thank you for your post.

·
Registered
11 Posts
That was well put, thank you for your post.

·
Registered
837 Posts
A few years ago I went to a shop that my cousin found in the city. He was a young guy that owned it, and they did sport bikes for the most part. He assured me not an issue to fix my fork seals on my 1500, and I took a chance out of convenience. The seals started leaking again almost immediately after it was so called fixed so I took it back to him. He said, not a problem, leave it with him for a few hours. Still leaked and I just never went back to him. Lesson learned, I will be inconvenienced and take it to my shop a couple hours away up north.

I hope you get better results then I did.
Hey Steve...where would "a couple hours north" put you? In Lindsay?
Strat

·
Premium Member
1,999 Posts
Hey Steve...where would "a couple hours north" put you? In Lindsay?
Strat
J.C. Cycle, he is in the Stayner/Wasaga Beach area. He specializes in Gold Wings and if you ask me he knows his stuff. I've been dealing with him for close to 20 years. A matter of fact, I was up there yesterday taking up a buddy to pick up his Wing for a lot of the same stuff I had done on my Wing a few weeks ago.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts