Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Replacement radios. I have a 1993 Goldwing SE. I am looking for some suggestions for a replacement radio that is updated with Bluetooth. Has anyone replace there with a decent model of radio?

·
Super Moderator
13,328 Posts
Nothing known.

·
1,091 Posts
Somewhere in Europe a replacement radio idea was developed and shown that used a single DIN car radio. Those aftermarket car radios have bluetooth capabilities in them. It might be hard to find the aftermarket radio replacement plate nowadays. There were so many good ideas that came and went back in the day.

·
Super Moderator
13,328 Posts
Somewhere in Europe a replacement radio idea was developed and shown that used a single DIN car radio. Those aftermarket car radios have bluetooth capabilities in them. It might be hard to find the aftermarket radio replacement plate nowadays. There were so many good ideas that came and went back in the day.
I tried to get one of those plates when I had my 1500. They weren't available then and that was eight years ago. :(

Reactions: GLblinded

·
Registered
2007 Crucible Orange GL1800 converted to CSC Viper
25 Posts
I had one of the first adapters that are being mentioned above. Never knew the gentleman's real name but his user name on one of the forums and his eBay name was traykby. He handmade each one and shipped them from his place in Belarus. He made/reproduced a few other GL1500 components as well but then just seemed to dissappear. I will say it worked out well. I had installed a Sony marine radio in there. I originally had an MP3 player attached to the aux in and velcroed just above on the adapter.

Motor vehicle Vehicle Steering wheel Automotive design Center console

But there were a few drawbacks by doing this. One was that by removing factory radio, you also deleted the intercom system. Also if you were a CB user, the Hondaline CB was no longer able to be used as it connected through the factory radio. And this will also be an issue for anyone that is considering doing something similar. My solution was to add the J&M CB Dual which gave me back a CB as well as intercom, it was just no longer integrated with the radio.

Unfortunately the entire setup stayed with the bike when it went to the new owner.

There was another idea that I saw a while back. The 1991 Interstate model came with a unique setup. It was a Kenwood radio and part of it mounted inside the left dash pocket. In order for Honda to make things easier and not have to design a special radio shelter, they created a blank off panel to cover space where the radio would normally mount. They used to be available to order from Honda but they were discontinued a long time ago. A member on another forum was able to replicate them and had a number of them manufactured. Sadly he also stopped making them but another member as of 2 months ago agreed to continue making them and supposedly had 6 ready to go. You can see his post here:
With this panel, you could buy one of those marine stereos that had wired remotes like this one and mount the remote to the panel and the rest of the electronics tucked into a saddlebag or trunk.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts