Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dealer rang yesterday and told me that my heater grip was in and they would replace it because it was slightly torn when it picked up the new bike. So off i went in the morning early and they told me it would take an hour. I went for a little stroll and did not realise i had gone for 3 hours, so i went back and to my surprise they said it would take all day. I looked at my bike and they had stripped everything off on the front right down to the frame and left radiator was taken out, windscreen,mirrors,lower cover,front fairing the lot, parts lay everywhere I felt sick, if i knew that was the case i would have put up with the slight tear and not worried about it. They gave me a bike to go home with and then they rang around 4.30 in the afternoon to come and pick it up. I got there just as they were closing and took my bike home. On the way i switched the grips and the seat heaters on because its winter here to try them, guess what they both dont work now:mad:
Rang this morning and guess what the service department dont work on saturday. I feel very angry now and im worried what else may go wrong further down the track. All this to change the left hand grip.
Sorry this post is long i felt i had to take out my frustration somehow, will keep you posted when i go back Monday

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
If just the grip was torn it can be replaced with not much trouble as it plugs in in the harness that runs inside the handlebars. Honda doesn't sell replacement parts so your dealer probably ordered the entire kit and replaced everything.
If they left one of the item unplugged nothing will work, Check and see if the seat and passenger back rest is plugged in.
You can see from this picture that nothing is numbered and it lists only 1 price but you can see the plug for the grips
http://www.hdlparts.com/fiche_secti...y=Motorcycles&make=Honda&year=2010&fveh=31255

·
Premium Member
23,776 Posts
The key to " misery " is never to suffer alone. Make others share your misery. I'm miserable right now. I'm waiting for a call from my local Honda dealer shop that my middle trunk section is in. It all started with me doing a minor wiring modification on my tail light. All this is covered under warranty, but when anyone, including the mechanic, is taking apart plastic there is a great margin for OOPS ! I feel your pain a half a world away.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
What middle trunk section are you talking about? What did you do??

·
Premium Member
23,776 Posts
What middle trunk section are you talking about? What did you do??
Joe!!! I had the infamous stripped acorn nut as others have had. Took the bike in and the mechanic spun the nut to try and dislodge it . The inner housing that the acorn nut tightens against inside the trunk heated up first. So the hole that the stud goes through is now too big for the acorn not to tighten against. That assembly is all a part of the trunk mid- section. The saga continues...... But I did finish the tail light mod!!!!! I have two of the three nuts holding the light assembly in right now. It's not a problem, but they want to make it right. I love those guys and I " treat " them well.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If just the grip was torn it can be replaced with not much trouble as it plugs in in the harness that runs inside the handlebars
They did get the original honda grip it is for the left side and for the 2009 model onwards the plug is situated behined the left radiator assembly not in the handle bar go figure what a dumb idea that was.

Joe!!! I had the infamous stripped acorn nut as others have had. Took the bike in and the mechanic spun the nut to try and dislodge it
Yes at thats the other problem that it was in for, at this stage they have orderd the replacement lens, next time they will try to fit it.
My other main problem is that today i looked at it in the sun and noticed that there is a scratch on my chrome frame cover which i know was not there before:mad:. Watch them try to get out of this one

I feel your pain a half a world away.
Chopin i know your half a world away but aint it funny the pain is the same :(

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
Yes, things can and do happen in the shop, lots of mechanics, even though for the most part they are very carefull, they sometimes have "club hands" and small items get piched, scuffed, whatever. My own bike, the guy that did the PDI overtightened one of the fasteners on the lower right cowl and put a small crack in it. My Dealer Principal offered to replace it for me, but I'm going to try epoxy first if I ever get the guts to removed the cowl again (see my post about the muffler install and the fun I had with the cowls that day). Stick to your guns guys with your dealer issues, just remember to keep your cool, they will work alot harder to please you if they have the right incentive, try and be nice;)

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
I try to live by the "golden rule", (do to others what you want them to do to you)... But, sometimes there are those who really push that to the limit. I'll work with any dealership and will be nice, but when they outright lie to you or refuse to accept responsibility for their mistake.... then all bets are off.

I like the line from Patrick Swayze, in "Road House". Be nice.. Be nice until I tell you not to be nice.....

·
Registered
217 Posts
My pain might not be as bad as yours...but right now I am fighting with the dealer about the electronic remote key bob that was suppose to come with the bike...It never came with my bike...they claim they gave it to me...I claim the opposite...I have been nice to date...but patience is wearing very thin....do you think I can stop payments on the bike since it was financed with Honda...:eek:

My friends says...just order a new one...put it on a visa and then call the visa company right from the honda dealer (after you pick it up) and tell the visa company that you never received the product since in WI you do not have to pay for something you did not receive.....

Tempting....:confused:

Safe Ride....

·
Premium Member
23,776 Posts
How do you ride without the remote ? You didn't get it because if you did it would be attached to your key. You can lock your cargo bay doors with the push of a button and open the trunk with a push of the button. If your at the Wing Ding along with a thousand other Wings you can hit the " call " button and sound your horn to locate your bike.

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
Up here we have to use a delivery checklist (Honda mandates this themselves to keep customer satisfaction high) and the list has to be completed and signed and given to the customer. Keys and manuals, accessories, service schedules and everything is on there. Honda follows this up with the customer and if we miss something, or the customer is unhappy with the delivery, we get a goose-egg on our record. Reigional managers climb on DSM's and then the DSM comes down on us. I'd call Honda Customer service if your dealer doesn't come clean on this, but tell him you're going to do it first. He may have a change of heart if the repercussions are anwhere near what they are up here.

·
Registered
217 Posts
....I'd call Honda Customer service if your dealer doesn't come clean on this, but tell him you're going to do it first. He may have a change of heart if the repercussions are anwhere near what they are up here.
Thanks Budoka for the heads up and what to do....:)

Chopin...it was easy at wingding to find my bike...it was the only two wheeler there....:D

Safe Ride...

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Update
Took the bike back today to the dealer for them to find out what is wrong, got a phone call from them at 4:45pm to tell me that they have been working at it all day and can not find the problem that is causing the grips and the seats from not working after they changed the grip :eek: . They asked me to leave it there overnight and someone from Honda Australia was going to call them to shed some light on the sitation.
Man i wished now that i had not taking the bike to them to change the grip:( The bike was stripped down again so they could go over the wiring to make sure all the plugs are connected.
Will keep posted

·
Premium Member
23,776 Posts
The saga continues..... ? Did you notice any sign hanging that read, " Our Mechanics are constantly learning to provide better Service to our Next customer. " ? I can't wait until my shop changes out my my trunk section. Collateral repair or collateral damage has yet to be determined. Feeling your pain a half a world away.

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
thanks for the posts

After reading this I decided and chiseled in to a granite slab, no heated grips, seats for me. Addnothing to a motorvehicle you don't want to fix (sooner or later). Ill wander before i have gps, Id probably wreck while studying the screen any way. And adapt the used truck maxim " if it aint broke, don't fix it "!!..That works on old refrigerators too.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The saga continues
Day 3
No news from the dealer on whats happening, i figure if they had fixed it, they would have rang me.
I don't want to ring them and get myself aggrivated over the phone and then take it out on them, that won't accomplish anything, so i will fill my mind with pleasant things like shoot em up games on my playstation. Oh the pain doctor smith, the pain.

Did you notice any sign hanging that read, " Our Mechanics are constantly learning to provide better Service to our Next customer.
No i didn't, but im thinking that when i eventually pick up the bike i will wear a sign around my neck that says " Dummy Patient "

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
Black light poster from the early 70's: "work hard, be dilligent and trustworthy, and ye shall be rewarded" The picture was a fellow in obvious distress, with a huge screw through his midsection. Kinda wish I still had it, it's still pretty true today.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Day 4
Dealer rang late this afternoon to say that the bike was ready. I asked what was the problem and he said that they changed both hand grips and it all works, will find out tomorrow when i pick it up. Finger crossed

1 - 20 of 23 Posts