Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While on a temporary assignment for the National Forests in Texas for most of the month, I had to take two days off. That turned out to be the 16th and 17th and I found a place to rent a motorcycle in Tyler, about 90 miles north. Willmax contacted me to see if we could meet up and ride a little bit together. So, a plan comes together on what I will think of as the big city tour of Texas. Tuesday it rained hard all over and Wednesday dawned foggy with scattered rain. It was 60 degrees when I picked up the bike and stayed that way all day. There was light scattered rain most of the day. That didn’t prevent either of us from enjoying the ride. After all a cool, drizzly day on a bike beats the heck out of a good day in the office.

Pictures are of my Son's of Anarchy model bike and Willmax in front of the malt shop in Cooper.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
15,241 Posts
so how was the harley experiance

·
Super Moderator
14,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I left Tyler on the rented Harley (my Son’s of Anarchy ride) and headed up Hwy 69 to meet Will at Cooper. We met at an old malt shop run by an elderly lady, Mabel Wheat, who was pretty interesting. It is a great place to stop if you are in the area. (Eric we spoke about you as Will has a CAT hat and was wearing it.) After Will treated me to a chocolate malt, we headed north. We went up to Paris and then east to Detroit. I had to stop there for a couple pictures as it is quite a bit different from the one I grew up in. (This is another for Eric) This one was platted by the Texas and Pacific Railroad in 1873. The name was changed to Detroit in 1887 by the local railroad agent who named it after his home town in Michigan. It was a busy place in the late 1890’s where it was the rail head for a large area of Texas and Oklahoma. The railroad tracks were removed in 1997 and there is a block of downtown buildings, only on one side of the road, with 700 people living there. From here we went south on Farm Market road 410. Along here we were passing through fields and a very large flock of migrating birds flew up. There had to be a couple thousand of them. I wish that my camera would have been handy. Once we hit Hwy 271 we headed southeast to Winfield. Here Will headed west back home and I continued on to Pittsburg. From there I headed east to Avinger and then south back to Tyler.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
14,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It was a 294 mile day on a bike for me. The Harley was a very good ride. It had a nice rumble and while I noticed the vibration it wasn’t bad. Although my cell phone in my chest pocket went off and I never felt it vibrate and it usually makes me jump. It seemed “shorter” with the front wheel closer than I’m used to lately, but more like the first bike I had. The windshield would need cutting if that was my bike. The top of it was exactly at my vision height. So I either had to slump to see through it or stretch to see over it. The seat was okay and I was comfortable for the 300 mile day. A long trip might be challenging as I was starting to feel discomfort in my lower back. Of course we didn’t take any good breaks so that would make a difference.

The rain never got hard enough to get me wet and the sun did come out for the last ten miles. The tree colors were surprisingly very nice with lots of yellow, rust, red, and gold. I didn’t get any pictures due to the dreary day and I didn’t think they would show up well. It will be the big city tour as I went through Paris, Reno, Detroit, and Pittsburg.

·
Super Moderator
14,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so how was the harley experiance
Thought about you when I was trying to figure a route and found Detroit on the map. Quite a bit different from where I grew up. The Harly was a good ride and I wouldn't mind finding an old one to keep running. My wife might object to me moving her car out of the garage though.

·
Super Moderator
15,241 Posts
i was cruising through hines park heading to northville sunday thinking about you

·
Premium Member
23,774 Posts
I too enjoy my 2 or 3 day Harley riding in the Southwest. If the rentals would offer a backrest that would easily add another 100 miles to the day ride. Still love the cockpit/ instrument area of the Wing. Is The Ultra better or worst ? No, just different the way it was intended to be.

·
Banned
3,204 Posts
Thought about you when I was trying to figure a route and found Detroit on the map. Quite a bit different from where I grew up. The Harly was a good ride and I wouldn't mind finding an old one to keep running. My wife might object to me moving her car out of the garage though.
90% of Harley s are still on the road. Parts falling off....

I am just saying. :)

My trip to Phoenix in April / May will have to be a fly and rent due to the time element. I might have to end up on one.

A wing isn't an old mans bike, it's a wise mans bike. Often that wisdom comes with age. I wish I could have my bike transported to Phoenix for three days, rather than rent the Harley.

·
Super Moderator
28,449 Posts
A couple of observations if I may?

1) I was thinking while you guys were already in Detroit I hope that you called the Doc.:D A little bit of difference between the 2 Detroits as far as population isn't there?
2) Is it just this Ole Fossil or do Mark & Will look like they could be brothers?
3) Glad you guys had a great time & thanks for sharing.

Ride Safe.

·
Super Moderator
14,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i was cruising through hines park heading to northville sunday thinking about you
Ah, Hines Park. Spent many a weekend playing softball and drinking beer with buddies......long, long time ago.

·
Super Moderator
14,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

2) Is it just this Ole Fossil or do Mark & Will look like they could be brothers?
Brothers of the road.....
It's just the grey beards.....

·
Super Moderator
28,449 Posts
Are you guys riding again tomorrow or was that just a one day get together?

·
Super Moderator
14,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Are you guys riding again tomorrow or was that just a one day get together?
I only rented the bike for the one day. Sure wish I had more days to ride.

·
Premium Member
1,172 Posts
Good ride and good company...a day well spent.

·
Super Moderator
28,449 Posts
I said it before will. Mark is a good guy to ride with. Glad you guys had a great day.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Cheers to you both guys! With luck more of us will get together in the future, the sights and the lure of the open road is still best when shared.:)

·
Banned
3,204 Posts
The closest I am getting to your place so far is Belton, TX. I have a good friend there from Wilmar, MN. I am leaving for my trip across the southwest on Dec. 6th for 16 days or so.

·
Super Moderator
11,804 Posts

1) I was thinking while you guys were already in Detroit I hope that you called the Doc.:D A little bit of difference between the 2 Detroits as far as population isn't there?
2)Is it just this Ole Fossil or do Mark & Will look like they could be brothers?
3) Glad you guys had a great time & thanks for sharing.

Ride Safe.

Looks that way to me. ;)

If Will doesn't play Santa, I'd be very surprised. :eek:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts