Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy all,
I will be in Reno NV., Easter weekend in April 2011. I am toying with maybe renting a bike for that Saturday and riding up to Tahoe then to Truckee and back to Reno. My time is limited, have to bowl @ 7:00 pm that night.
I was wondering what the weather may be like at that time and who in Reno rents bikes?

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Reno Harley rents...you guessed it...HD's. Not sure about any other rentals in Reno though.

·
Premium Member
23,774 Posts
chasen: I got out to Phoenix for a week in March or April and rent a Harley for a few days riding. Wing rental shops are few and far between, at least in Arizona. You might do a search for " Eagle Rider " as they are a national franchise and usually carry a wide variety of bikes for rent. In Phoenix I rent a Road King or Ultra Glide for $150.00 a day ( a day is 24 hours ) and unlimited miles. You can add a $30.00 insurance policy to keep your liability down to a few thousand dollars ( a.k.a. worst scenario policy ). Heck, it's a motorcycle and it's out there.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Reno in April

I lived out side of Reno for 10 years, great time to ride a little cold in the morning but other wise good. Make sure you ride the whole trip around the lake, then take the road on the north side of the lake to Truckee. Check with the Honda dealer in Reno they do rent, if you need anymore information or help let me know.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the responses. I will them all out. I know it is the mountains in April, so anything can happen weather wise. But is the weather up there pretty much tolerable at that time of year? Don't really want to ride in snow or freezing temps.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well the weather is funny there, like they say if you don't like the weather in Nevada just wait five minutes it will change. I have rode around the lake in April and it been clear and sunny roads clear wonderful. I have been there when they closed the road on the north shore because of snow. So you just don't know what I can do if you want is give you a up date as you need it about weather, roads, temps ect. Just give me a shout

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hey chansen96, if you can add a extra day or two to your plans, they rent wings in Vegas. The ride to Reno in April is awesome. You can ether run up through death valley to 395 along the Calif. mountains to Reno or up 95 and see all the desert along the way. If you had the time it is a very nice ride. earthpig......

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Unfortunatly time is short but I wil keep it in mind for time I do get to Vegas. Thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
Reno in April

Reno and even more so Tahoe weather can be wonderful in April or can be cold due to a late storm. Remember, Lake Tahoe is at 6K feet elevation so storms can bring snow even in April.

Personally, I would plan the trip.. definately ride all the way around Lake Tahoe. I would also head to the lake via Mt Rose. Its all a beautiful ride. Enjoy the ride!!

I live in the SF Bay Area and visit Lake Tahoe and Reno all during the year.. as much as I can on my bike.

Let me know if I can help out.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If the weather goes bad. Is there a destination in the lower elevations you or anyone might might recommend. I am not much of a gambler so am trying to kill time until we bowl Saturday night.

·
Super Moderator
14,420 Posts
While I have never riden in the area my atlas shows a scenic route north from Sparks on 445 up to Pyramid Lake. Then east on 446 to Nixon, south on 447 to Fernley. Keep south on Alt 95 to US 50 at Silver Springs. West on 50 to 341 and head north to Virginia City. (Are you a fan of Bonanza?) This leads you back into Reno, probably 150 miles. This will keep you east of Reno and out of the mountains.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the idea. I am not a Bonanza fan. Old enough, just not a fan. My grandfather was a huge fan though. All things stopped when Bonanza came on. Man, that brings back memories. But it sounds like a great suggestion. Thanks again

1 - 12 of 12 Posts