Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks, a friend of mine has lent me his old '84 GoldWing, as I'm "motorcycle homeless" for the moment.

I decided to do a few things to it for him, like Armor-All the dash, wax the bike, etc.

Looking at his windshield, he's got these micro scratches the really show up when riding into the sun, like at sunset. They generally create an overall haze too:

So I looked around online to see what I could find to possibly restore this whindshield. I found Meguiar’s Mirror Glaze Clear Plastic Polish, Novus Plastics Polish #1,2,3, Craftics 20/20 cleaner, and Plexus Plastic Cleaner & Polish.

I don't know if you can deduct sufficient information from the image I've posted here, but if so will any of these products do anything for it, and if so, which one? Do I need to go the whole Novus 123 route, or would something like Plexus do the trick?

Thanks for any info on this.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Sorry Vidrazor...I don't have an answer for you...but would like to tag a question onto your post.....

What also works on removing baked on bugs from the windshield without distorting the "Plastic" windshield...?

·
Registered
26 Posts
My windshield looked like that
I had a friend who worked with plastics
He manually rubbed out almost all of the scratches with 3M rubbing compound
Super Duty Rubbing Compound 05954
After that the rest with white color rubbing compound
Not as good as a new one but good enough to keep using it.

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
i'll have to look at the bottle when i get home but its by kit and its a scratch remover, comes in a yellow bottle. if those are stress cracks then nothing will remove them, its time for a windshield

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
The scratches are in plastic, the chances of getting them out or reducing them enough to make a difference is small, It's time for a new windshield.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Novus 1&2

When I purchased my brand new to me 1986 aspencade the windsheild was very neglected. I really had no idea it would clean up it had a film on it that looked like someone had sprayed a coat of clear on it and very scratched. I tried several of the cleaning tricks I had used over the years and none seemed to really make any real improvements. I went to local dealer and bought Novus no. 1 and 2. Well it works I hand rubbed both sides several times and it works. I then used a slow speed buffer under 2000 rpm and it really helped more. Is it perfect no but what a difference. Novus 1 &2

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for your replies. It's not my call to make on replacing the windshield, I just want to spiff the machine up a bit as a token of gratitude for having it lent to me. So even if it doesn't remove everything, as long as there's some kind of improvement that will be fine.

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
The owner should be pleased that you take good care of his ride. The plexus does work, I used it to take some crazing out of my aircraft rear window. Big improvment.

·
Super Moderator
9,851 Posts
What also works on removing baked on bugs from the windshield without distorting the "Plastic" windshield...?
Take a damp towel and place it on the windshield to soak the bugs until they are soft and then wash them off. Then polish the windshield with plexus or some other good polish that will not scratch or damage the screen.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
>>Take a damp towel and place it on the windshield to soak the bugs until they are soft and then wash them off.<<

Wouldn't hurt to soak that towel in Simple Green. :)

·
Registered
793 Posts
Depending on how long your buddy lends you his ride, look into replacing the windshield as they are not that pricey, starting around $80, which is a lot less than one bike payment or a day's rental.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
>>Depending on how long your buddy lends you his ride, look into replacing the windshield as they are not that pricey, starting around $80...<<

Yeah, but when you're out of work, that's about 10 times the price.;)

·
Super Moderator
9,851 Posts
>>Take a damp towel and place it on the windshield to soak the bugs until they are soft and then wash them off.<<

Wouldn't hurt to soak that towel in Simple Green. :)
I guess because I have a fairly new windshield I'm somewhat leary about using any kind of chemical on the screen. I just use water and then polish with microfiber cloths..

·
Registered
43 Posts
I bought my 99' 1500 in March.The widshield had appeared to be pitted.I tried Novus 1,2,3, didn't seem to work.I bought a new winshield.What a difference!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Here's my two cents worth. I've never had to use a plastic polish but it seems that any micro scratch remover should do the job. There are lots of them on the market. Talk to body shop or detailer shop and see what they would recommend. As to what to use for bug removal... I use pledge multipurpose. Just spray it on and use a high quality paper towel to wipe it off. Can also be used to remove them from your paint and headlights. Doesn't leave a film or scratch or discolor the plastic. Used it on my last wing without a problem. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
154 Posts
As to scratched/neglected windshields - I wonder if those kits for renewing plastic car headlamp lenses would work on a GW windshield? Maybe a kit like these would work?

http://www.amazon.com/3M-39014-Lens-Renewal-Kit/dp/B002UJ13QO/ref=sr_1_2?s=gateway&ie=UTF8&qid=1284806129&sr=8-2

http://www.amazon.com/3M-Headlight-Lens-Restoration-System/dp/B001AIZ5HY/ref=sr_1_1?s=gateway&ie=UTF8&qid=1284806129&sr=8-1

http://www.meguiarsdirect.com/detail/MEG+G1900

A friend used the Meguiars kit on his car and I could not believe the difference.
Rob

·
Registered
31 Posts
So I looked around online to see what I could find to possibly restore this whindshield. I found Meguiar’s Mirror Glaze Clear Plastic Polish, Novus Plastics Polish #1,2,3, Craftics 20/20 cleaner, and Plexus Plastic Cleaner & Polish.

Thanks for any info on this.
vidrazor, Novus 1 & 2 should remove the scratches as long as they are all micro scratches. If they are deeper, you may have to use Novus 3. You may have to do the polishing more than once to achieve the desired results.

MarkH, the best thing, bar none, for removing baked on bugs in plain old hydrogen peroxide. You can use it straight or dilute it if you want to. It desolves the proteins in the dried up bug remains and they wipe off easily after a brief soak. I keep a small spray bottle that I buy at Walmart for under $1.00 in my saddle bag just for that purpose. Works great and inexpensive!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
>>I bought my 99' 1500 in March.The widshield had appeared to be pitted.I tried Novus 1,2,3, didn't seem to work.I bought a new winshield.What a difference!!<<

No doubt a new windshield is best, but I had pretty good luck with Novus 1, 2, 3. Although it didn't get rid of all the scratches, it made the plastic TRANSPARENT again. I was pretty impressed. Here are the before and after pics of the windshild, both aimed into the sun (which is the worst-case scenario):

Mind you, I did this by hand. Had I had access to a proper drill and buffing pad, I probably would've removed more of the scratches in the plastic.

The bottom line is I CAN SEE through that damned thing! Pretty cool. :cool:

·
Registered
43 Posts
wow,vidrazor,you did a nice job! I just used novus #2 on my 99'cavalier's plastic headlight housing. It had become yellowed with age,and the novus#2 cleared the yellowing out.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Yeah, I first put an old t-shirt on the windshield and soaked it with Simple Green for about 5 minutes, wiped that off with Windex, then proceeded through Novus #3, #2, and finished it with #1 using terry cloth towels from Home Depot. Took me about an hour. I do wish I would've had a drill and buffing pad, I think that would've been killer, but it did a pretty decent job by hand.

It good to be able to see out that sucker. Riding into the sunset used to be hell with that windshield!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts