Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not highly experienced in removing scratches and marring from plastic parts such as the sidebag lids. I have used a product called Pro Honda Metal Polish and Finish Restorer. Unfortunately, this product doesn't have any effect. I also have a product called No. 7 Rubbing Compound which states that it shouldn't be used on clear coats, vinyl, metalized plastic trim, etc. so I haven't tried this one at all. My bike's finish is the Cabernet Red Metallic. Does anyone have successful experience in removing scratches and marring from these metalized plastic surfaces and, if yes, can they provide advice on the product and/or process they used?

·
Super Moderator
28,454 Posts
When I bought my bike, one of the p.o. had put a what I considered a not to flattering pin stripe job on it. Let me rephrase it was @%#* ugly. Anyway one of the guys I work with was an auto detailer & restorer in his previous job. He came to the house & 3 hrs later my Wing was back to original. He wet sanded the pinstripes off as well as some of the scratches, Maquiers buffing compound & a buffer to restore the finish & the bike looked great. That was 3 years ago & it still looks great. I don't know that it is something that a novice would want to attempt so maybe you want to look for a detailer/body shop to do it for you. As always this is just one ole fossil's opinion.

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
The problem is once the finish is scratched most polishes or cleaners won't touch it. Because they are plastic you need the type of equipment and knowledge that Fossil is talking about. I had a scratch on the back of my 98 GL1500 SE for years and I tried every product that I could think of and was not able to get it out. It bothered me, but most people could not even see it.
Found this on another forum. You might want to check it out.

http://www.meguiarsdirect.com/product_detail.asp?T1=MEG+G10307

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks to both of you. It's true that these marks aren't apparent to the casual viewer. They're simply stuff that I'm aware of and see every time I wash the bike or hang a helmet from the trunk. If they bother me enough, I'll locate a detailer and see what they have to say. The worst marks are on the molding that comes around from the side and across the back of the sidebags below the tail lights. I think I can replace those pieces of molding if the cost of detailing is outrageous.

·
Registered
157 Posts
mequiar's scratch x is clear coat safe but somewhat abrasive. It will remove the scratches and give it the new look. I use it on all my bikes to keep them looking new.

dd

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks dirtdobber. I've checked out the Maquiars products online and see several very positive comments about Maquiars Scratch X. I also happen to have a source within a mile from home, so I'll get some and try it out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts