Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I am about to attempt to have new tires mounted and am going to take the wheels off myself... I think:eek:

Can both wheels be removed at the same time? Will the bike balance on center stand or is something else needed?

Any other tips would be a help.

Thanks,
Doc

·
Super Moderator
15,235 Posts
no the bike will not balance on the center stand it will fall foward. i don't know what others use and my bikes are ridden to the shop for tire replacement

·
Premium Member
647 Posts
wheels

Doc, Why on earth would you want to take the wheels of yourself?
Take it to your dealer, they have the equipment and expertise to do this. I think, in this case, the cost is worth the peace of mind and lack of frustration.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
If I remember correctly, at least one of the bags needs to come off first to take off the rear, but I've been wrong before. If you are determined to do it yourself, get a shop manual for the bike if you haven't already. You 'll need to block the bike up to remove the front wheel and keep it from tipping forward onto the floor.

·
Premium Member
17,147 Posts
I'd take it to the shop, and let them do it. The front won't be so bad but the back is going to be alot of work.
From the Northwest Corner.
Ron

·
Premium Member
1,999 Posts
I have watch the shop remove the front and rear at different times, and happy to let them do it in the future also. The rear especially is not that easy on the 1500's.

·
Super Moderator
15,235 Posts
i did rear brakes two years ago. the seat , lower trim on the trunk and left saddle bag had to be removed to get at it. it only took me two hours and twenty minutes from start to finish. last year the left rear shock sprung a leak, yea i replaced it myself in two hours this time. my rear tire needs replacing too but i'm taking it to the shop not a dealer but a friends shop

·
Super Moderator
7,661 Posts
Not unless you have a lift table with front and rear drop outs, wheel chock, center jack and tie downs.
Even as a trained professional (?) I wouldn't attempt it.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Removing the rear wheel isn't as bad as it seems. Pull the seat(4 bolts), disconnect a couple of wiring connections, unbolt the muffler hangers, loosen the bolt inside the saddlebags near the front and then remove the two top bolts and the whole rear assembly comes off. It's best to have an extra set of hands to help remove and reinstall this. My son and I did mine last fall in just over an hour. Check around and invest in a rear wheel from a trike conversion (can be found for under $200) and then you can do tire swaps easier and also have the time to really clean those rear wheels.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I buildt my own car as well as my own boat, but I took my 1500 to the shop for a tire replacement last week. Simply not worth the hassle. When I modify it next winter for a 240 tire it's a whole other game....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts