Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible to remove all the plastic to get it soda blasted & repainted? Anyone ever done this before?

·
Super Moderator
9,852 Posts
It had to be put on there, so it surely can come off. A good shop manual or how to video would be useful. What color are you planning to paint it? Good luck and be sure to post pics when done.

·
Super Moderator
28,447 Posts
Snowhawk,

I never had the whole bike done however, I did have a piece go missing either falling off/ theft. I bought another on Ebay different color & had a friend who has a body shop finish it. The part is almost a perfect match & most people never notice it. So I'm sure it can be done. Talk to a body guy would be my recommendation.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Stripping plastic?

Actually I have removed every single plastic part from 87' Aspencade. I was planning a color change, it's Black now,but,I'm really liking the 90 pearl White color. Now I have put that on hold till next yr. There are a LOT of brackets, bolts, screws etc.
I have even completely stripped the fairing ( including badges), all the stuff inside is now spead out around my garage!
I'm doing a complete cleaning, checking all connectors and cleaning~regreasing them.
Touching up places that need paint etc.
It's a big job,but, at least I'll know what is right and what needs to be addressed. I'm waiting for a few parts right now...Not sure if I'll get it together for this season, the weather is holding nicely up here but as sure as Santa has reindeer..it will snow as I tighten the last bolt! LOL...:D
P.S. I haven't figured out how to post pics in my post yet..there are some in my gallery...enjoy!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Two Wheel Wing:
I could only WISH someone had a DVD on this. It would make my life so much easier. At my age I forget where I put my glasses & I'm crazy enough to attempt this.
Fossil92:
I have been told that the best one to go fiberglass would be the person that does vets. However, this being ABS I would assume that any good body shop will be able to handel this. I just don't know if this is colored plastic all the way through or if it is painted on the outside.
You can use bondo for steel but what's good for repairs on the ABS?
Dennis
AKA: The Snowhawk

·
Super Moderator
28,447 Posts
Dennis, I can tell you that it is not colored all the way through, when my guy sanded the blue off (to paint red) my piece it revealed primer underneath. I saw a thread the other day that indicated guys are doing repairs with jb weld, but one guy said he used ABS pipe cement. Being in Plumbing/Heating & Air Conditioning I can tell that ABS cement works good.

I think if you talk to a good body guy (not necessarily a fiberglass one) they will be able to help.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts