Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need your help. How to remove pin stripping names of last person to own my new to me 1989 gl 1500 without hurting paint job.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
If the striping was brushed on (painted) I don't know of any way to remove it without sanding and repainting. Perhaps someone knows a way:confused:

·
Premium Member
17,147 Posts
Easy Off Oven Cleaner. Dab a little on the names. let it set for a bit and wipe off. Then wash. Seen stripper use this at rallys or check with an auto body shop.

You might still be able to see the name faintly because the name area was protected from the sun activity over the years

·
Premium Member
7,205 Posts
Easy Off Oven Cleaner. Dab a little on the names. let it set for a bit and wipe off. Then wash. Seen stripper use this at rallys or check with an auto body shop.
I have to admit Ron, I have never seen a stripper do that.....Wow!!! You must frequent only the best spots.:D

Sorry, I couldn't resist...I'm just too juvenile.:p

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks I had heard about EZ off was afraid to try it. I will give it a shot.

·
Super Moderator
28,437 Posts
bpaulhicks, Another way is wet sand the pin-striping & rebuff the Clear coat. That's what I had done with my 1500. Took it back to stock taking all of it off.

·
Registered
15 Posts
ok I do know that there is a specific tool for removing sttipes i use it all the time and it works great.hr tool looks like a big eraser and it's a cream color, you c an pick one up at any automotive store and it's like 6 bucks . any whay what you do is fit the eraser into a good drill and gently rub off the striping. once it is removed just clean and wax and good as new .. hope this helps

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
Might want to check out whether the pin stripe is original. If so, the clear coat covered it as well. When I had
One repainted last year, the cost/time was prohibitive. I opted to have new pin stripe put on over the new paint exactly over the old stripe and then clear coated it all just like OEM. Looked like new.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Premium Member
17,147 Posts
I have to admit Ron, I have never seen a stripper do that.....Wow!!! You must frequent only the best spots.:D

Sorry, I couldn't resist...I'm just too juvenile.:p
What ever it takes to get it off, Easy Off or a few well placed $5.00 bills.:D

·
Registered
33 Posts
easy oven cleaner

Which Easy-off oven cleaner are you talking about? The yellow is caustic and the blue is supposedly not caustic. So I would guess you are talking about the blue.

·
Premium Member
17,147 Posts
Which Easy-off oven cleaner are you talking about? The yellow is caustic and the blue is supposedly not caustic. So I would guess you are talking about the blue.
I'd go with the Blue, I've watched it being done but never really looked at the can closely and it has been a couple years, since I had our done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Robertson
What ever it takes to get it off, Easy Off or a few well placed $5.00 bills.

$5.00 ??? Ron, how long has it been since you frequented these types of places?

It has been more then a few years:eek:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts