Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know a lot of people on this forum are ex-military and Nov. 11th is a pretty big day in our province where all schools, government buildings and most stores are closed as we stop to remember all you people have stood on the line to defend our liberties and help those people who can't help themselves.
Terry Kelly - A Pittance of Time (Official Version)
On November 11, 1999 Terry Kelly was in a drug store in Dartmouth, Nova Scotia. At 10:55 AM an announcement came over the stores PA asking customers who would still be on the premises at 11:00 AM to give two minutes of silence in respect to the veterans who have sacrificed so much for us. Terry was impressed with the stores leadership role in adopting the Legions two minutes of silence initiative. He felt that the stores contribution of educating the public to the importance of remembering was commendable. When eleven o'clock arrived on that day, an announcement was again made asking for the two minutes of silence to commence. All customers, with the exception of a man who was accompanied by his young child, showed their respect. Terry's anger towards the father for trying to engage the stores clerk in conversation and for setting a bad example for his child was channelled into a beautiful piece of work called, A Pittance of Time.

·
Premium Member
23,767 Posts
November 10th is / was the Birthday of the Marine Corps. November is a special month for many of us on this great continent regardless of our political borders.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
That brought tears to my eyes. The callous disregard for the memory of those that stood up and fought (and still do) for what we often take for granted grieves me deeply. I firmly believe in the freedom of speech, the freedom of choice to go and live where you may, and the freedom to practice what you believe. But should you challenge the memory of those who fought so bravely and made the ultimate sacrifice so that you may embrace those freedoms, then you and I have no common ground. I make no ammends for that, ever.

·
Premium Member
17,147 Posts
We are failing in our school systems, this vital part of our history isn't even mentioned. Some many have given so much for what we all enjoy.
To All Vets past and present, THANK YOU for all you've done.

·
Super Moderator
28,437 Posts
Thanks fox. Awesome video.

·
Registered
31 Posts
That brought tears to my eyes. The callous disregard for the memory of those that stood up and fought (and still do) for what we often take for granted grieves me deeply. I firmly believe in the freedom of speech, the freedom of choice to go and live where you may, and the freedom to practice what you believe. But should you challenge the memory of those who fought so bravely and made the ultimate sacrifice so that you may embrace those freedoms, then you and I have no common ground. I make no ammends for that, ever.
Well said Budoka. Thanks for the post Fox, it brought tears to my eyes as well.

·
Premium Member
757 Posts
Very powerful video, being a combat veteran of Vietnam, Nov 11th is a bitter sweet day for me. My dad was a combat WWII veteran and as a kid I recall him getting very emotional on Veterans day, it was something I had a hard time understanding. I ask him why he was so sad, his reply was, "You'll understand it if you ever experience it, lets hope you don't have to", I was 9 years old at the time, 10 years later I found myself in the rice paddies of Vietnam, I do understand what my dad said and not only did I have a deeper understanding of my Father, but we shared a common bond that many Father/Sons do not and is being "Brothers in arms".

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Ron said: "We are failing in our school systems"

Of late, it has become unallowable to sing the National Anthem in our schools for any occasion or reason. As I don't dare offend any delicate sensibilities by going into details as to why, I can only agree with Ron's words. Talk about failure. It used to be "I'm a stranger in a strange land"; I think I'm now a stranger in my own land.

·
Premium Member
17,147 Posts
Ron said: "We are failing in our school systems"

Of late, it has become unallowable to sing the National Anthem in our schools for any occasion or reason. As I don't dare offend any delicate sensibilities by going into details as to why, I can only agree with Ron's words. Talk about failure. It used to be "I'm a stranger in a strange land"; I think I'm now a stranger in my own land.
I fear for our lands my friend. I won't go all political here. But this is the U.S.A. and Canada. You came for the good we have to offer, now you assimilate to our way of life not us to your's.
Yes I'm proud to be an American

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
When I was in the school system we had this political right thing about not having Christmas concerts because it was not inclusive. I made a decision that we would still have Christmas concerts and beg for forgiveness if the need arose but it never did. I would have enjoyed the fight but it never came.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts