Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any regrets from going from a HD motorcycle,HD community and friends that have HD to a GW?
THANKS!
STILL NOT SURE

·
Super Moderator
15,235 Posts
i have never owned a harley but i have no regrets in purchasing a wing cause i've wanted one since the '84 wings were introduced

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
I have no regrets. Have had the harley's and still do. But I love the ride I get on the Wing. The only reason I still have my Harley's is because I'm waiting for a good offer to buy, once I get that I will just own a Wing :)

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
Indecision?

Marco I looked up your posts and I see that you have been Unconvinced and "still not sure" since February. You've had nearly a dozen different posts over the last 9 months that show your loyalty to the Harley brand, family, and lifestyle. Here you will find more satisfaction than regret regarding anything Goldwing. I don't think you are going to find much support or commentary here for the "Yes I prefer my Harley" point of view; I mean after all this is the Goldwingowners.com forum.

Perhaps you could list all the things you love about Harley and express your fears about that which you feel may be lacking in the Goldwing experience. Otherwise..... Just do it!
:confused:

·
Registered
141 Posts
No problem at all going from 2 new Harleys in 4 years (50,000 miles)to a GW. Do not miss the noise, the heat, the vibration, the down time, the narrow back seat on the Ultra, lack of rain protection, and of course do not miss the hype. They do have a great dealer network, gotta give them that. Yes my cool riding buddies will be on Harleys when they put them on square wheels. Just my thoughts.

·
Premium Member
17,147 Posts
I'm wondering if you have any riding buddies that ride wings. If not you might try one of the local GWTA, or GWRRA Chapters these a wing riders and I've found most are very friendly folks.
If you are trying to make your wing fit into a HD group it could be a struggle. Personally I think there are different mind sets between hard core HD riders and Gold Wingers.
Years ago a young fellow joined our local GW group who had owned an HD and bought a wing. He got upset because he felt most were cold toward him. What he refused to understand that we didn't like the vulgar decals on his little pee pot helmet, and his," (If you can read this the B _ _ _h fell off") T shirt. I don't know if he ever found a Motorcycling home or not, he just wasn't going to fit into our group with that attitude.
So having said all that if you want to find other wingers in your area. Check out the Gold Wing Touring Assoc. (GWTA) or the Gold Wing Road Riders Assoc. (GWRRA) both fine groups, only don't be surprised if they are different from HD groups. Again I'm not saying HD groups are bad but they might be different then GW groups.
From the Northwest Corner
Ron

·
Registered
81 Posts
I don't dance to the beat of anyone else drum. I buy and ride what I want and any one who does not like that, then they are the ones who have a problem. I have owned them both and glad I have a Wing now and for the rest of my time. (Anyone can be a follower)

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
If you get a Wing you can still ride with your friends that have Harleys! Friends ride together because they are friends, not because of what kind of bike they ride. When I was director or Chapter "O" touring riders here in So. Cal many years back, I got a call from a man wanting information on our club, We had about 100 people at our monthly meetings, mostly Gold Wings and a few Yamaha's a couple Kawasaki's and one Suzuki. I told him all about our club and what we do and the rides we take. He showed up at our next meeting, I told him I was glad to see him and his wife and was glad they decided to give us a try. He said the reason they came was that during our conversation I never once asked him what kind of bike he rode. He had a (Suzuki Cavalcade), he said all the others clubs he talked to were brand loyal, It doesn't matter what you ride as long as you have great friend and ride. This guy has been a friend for over 20 years now, And by the way, he saw the light and sold his Suzuki and bought a Gold Wing.
The three others guys I ride with I have know for over 25 years at one time we all had Gold Wings now I have a Kawasaki C14, one guy has a BMW 1300GT, one has a Honda ST1300 and one is still on a Gold Wing.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Most of my local riding buds run Harleys, and they tell me my Wing is too quiet hehe. One even joked that he could never trust a bike that has a stereo that makes more noise than the engine, all in jest of course. Methinks they have "Wing-envy!:D:eek:

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I passed some constuction workers recently and one of them put his hand to his ear as if he could not hear my ride good enough! He started laughing! Well I was in the wind and he was in a ditch, go figure!!!

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
Ray maybe he can't hear anything at all.... Might be a Harley lifer!

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
LMAO!!!! Funny thing is I thought I was born to ride Harley and would die on one! GOD had other plans!! So I will slide into heaven on a Wing, too cool!!!

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have a sound bite of a HD loud pipes and play it thru my stereo on ocations just to get a smile. I true wish HD would make a bike like a GW or even a BMW. They just won't get past the V twin, belt drive, air cooled thing. The stock Victory has more HP then the HD with $$$$ Screaming eagle package. BUT they are shiney...

·
Registered
157 Posts
Marco V
I truly understand your thoughts.

I have really loved my Ultra Classic. Still have it. Every time I decide to put it up for sale I end taking it out for a good and ride and change my mind. I still enjoy the sound, feel of it. I doubt there is another bike made that will fit me like I have my Ultra set up. I will most likely hang onto it. I still ride it quiet often.
I have had my GW since April. I will admit I got it for my wife who has cancer. It is easier on her and she like's it but we both agree we prefer the Ultra. It could be that we have been touring on it for so long that the GW is so different we are having to readjust.
The more I ride the GW the more I like it. It is different, I mean completely different from my Ultra.
I now have adopted the quietness of it as good and have now decided it is much better. Even though my Ultra is not loud in normal riding it will bark some when hit hard.
The biggest thing with the GW is you sit on it not in it. That is the part I am having problems with adjusting to.
There are those that just can not adjust or like the GW and go back to the HD and then there are those that can not adjust to or like a HD.
Over all I will keep my GW because it is a keeper and I will make the adjustments through time.
My 10 model has better sound, more power, fair mpg, quiet, handling, and comfortable after making some changes. Mustang seat, packit storage, cruise pegs, hand wings has made this bike very worthy of my liking.

I forgot that there was at least once I wanted to sell the GW or only ride it when momma rode with me.
That is no longer a thought.

dd

1 - 14 of 14 Posts