Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My current mount isn't working for me. Hoping to learn from your similar successes and errors.

I tried my zumo 665 on a Bracketron plate mount on the clutch side of my GL1800. It is a little low and close to be ideal, but I am OK with that as I mostly just listen to the audio cues. However, the screen glare from my hi-viz yellow jacket is horrendous -- I knew it was a bad fashion choice, but I thought it was functional ;). It seems the GPS disagrees.

The screen glare is OK with dark clothes in regular daylight, etc. I've seen those hoods for reducing screen glare but since it is me that is basically reflecting off the screen, I don't think they'll help. I'm tall so I look down a bit to the GPS and see my yellow halo in its screen.

Options I was considering before going with the Bracketron, and what I'm thinking now:

1. clutch side ball and RAM mount -- with a long arm and maybe the reservoir mount rather than clamp mount (see Buzzy here), I can bring that up and toward the center a good bit, just need to watch windshield clearance. With the RAM adjustability I can change the angle off to the side so I'm not looking back at my own reflection (the Bracketron is not really adjustable). If left to my own devices, that's probably my next course of action.
2. ball in the center of the top shelter (on the little goldwing sticker) and a RAM arm. I'm thinking unless the arm is silly long, that's going to be way too low. Being centered, I'm worried about even more glare.
3. something up and centered on the dash. I'm not really sure of how to mount something up there, short of installing a FarkleShelf which I think is overkill for me.

Any advice?

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
I think the root of al evil is your hi-vis gear. No matter where you mount the unit, that stuff is going to reflect to some degree. I would suggest a mounting spot where you can angle the screen so it isn't directly centered in your line of view. A lot of glare can be reduced like that.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts