Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am getting ready to put 2012 Goldwing into winter storage. It will be indoors and I will be using the very nice cover that came with the Bike from Honda.

Is it better to disconnect the battery completely or will a trickle charger suffice? Should the gas tank be filled and then fuel stabilizer added or should I run the tank empty? Finally, are there any other steps to take for winter storage that anyone can recommend?

·
Premium Member
5,432 Posts
wish i could help you but i ride all year , so no putting it away for me , i bet you get some nasty winters ?

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
1. Needs to be a breathable cover to prevent condensation unless indoors means in the house, not just the garage or ????
2. As long a temps will not be below freezing, leave the battery in the bike and get a Battery Maintainer. Never just a trickle charger, nor a simple battery charger.
3. On a nearly empty tank, add fuel stabilizer, fill it up and ride far enough to get the mix completely through the fuel system.
4. If indoors(covers a lot of places!) is subject to rodents, place a open container of moth balls under the bike and stuff the front air intakes and the mufflers.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
1. Needs to be a breathable cover to prevent condensation unless indoors means in the house, not just the garage or ????
2. As long a temps will not be below freezing, leave the battery in the bike and get a Battery Maintainer. Never just a trickle charger, nor a simple battery charger.
3. On a nearly empty tank, add fuel stabilizer, fill it up and ride far enough to get the mix completely through the fuel system.
4. If indoors(covers a lot of places!) is subject to rodents, place a open container of moth balls under the bike and stuff the front air intakes and the mufflers.
Here in Wisconsin we have winter normally. Sub zero and lot's of snow for a normal winter. But if it is like last winter, well it was more like fall instead of winter.. no snow to speak of and warm compared to normal winter temps.

The cover is one supplied by Honda with the Goldwing logo on it. It is a very heavy material, very well made in fact. It does have breathers built in and a nice tight edge band along the bottom to hold it solid against the bike.

The bike will be garage stored. Instead of mothballs I use bounce fabric sheets. Smell much nicer and work as well if not better. Some rodents are not bothered by mothballs in fact. I use bounce sheets in my Firebird TransAm WS6 during winter storage so will do the same with the bike as well.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Here in Wisconsin we have winter normally. Sub zero and lot's of snow for a normal winter. But if it is like last winter, well it was more like fall instead of winter.. no snow to speak of and warm compared to normal winter temps.

The cover is one supplied by Honda with the Goldwing logo on it. It is a very heavy material, very well made in fact. It does have breathers built in and a nice tight edge band along the bottom to hold it solid against the bike.

The bike will be garage stored. Instead of mothballs I use bounce fabric sheets. Smell much nicer and work as well if not better. Some rodents are not bothered by mothballs in fact. I use bounce sheets in my Firebird TransAm WS6 during winter storage so will do the same with the bike as well.
Cover is questionable. The panels you mention are not what I meant. The whole cover should be breathable, more like a dust cover rather than a "heavy" cover used when parking the bike outside during an over-nighter.
Thanks for the tip on the fabric sheets.

·
Premium Member
24,630 Posts
Agree with just about everything mentioned. I'd also make a trip to my nearest Honda dealer and get one of these You'll pay for it in teh money you save by not having to replace batteries in just about everything that uses the small juice boxes like bikes, sleds, lawn tractors you name it.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
10,004 Posts
Wash it and wax it.
Fill with fresh gas
Add stabil or similar product
Change oil
Run until hot
Put up on center stand
Put carpets under both tires
Hook up Battery Tender
Cover with light cover or cloth
Turn out the lights and wait until spring..

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Turn out the lights and wait until spring..[/QUOTE said:
Don't you mean pace back and forth and continually look out the window until spring? :D

Had to put my 'Car' away too. Have a Firebird TransAm WS6 Special Edition too that is stored for the winter so I am getting it double...

·
Premium Member
2,009 Posts
Wash it and wax it.
Fill with fresh gas
Add stabil or similar product
Change oil
Run until hot
Put up on center stand
Put carpets under both tires
Hook up Battery Tender
Cover with light cover or cloth
Turn out the lights and wait until spring..
The only other thing that I do is, put it on the center stand and put a small 2x4 under the engine block. It is just high enough to lift the front tire off the ground.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The only other thing that I do is, put it on the center stand and put a small 2x4 under the engine block. It is just high enough to lift the front tire off the ground.
That is a good idea.. Give the shocks a rest plus keep the tire off the ground.

·
Premium Member
2,009 Posts
That is a good idea.. Give the shocks a rest plus keep the tire off the ground.
That was my logic. I thought that one up by myself.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.