Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Recipe for leaks?

4K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  GoldDigger 
#1 ·
I have an 86 Interstate and want to add the chrome rack to the top of the trunk box. I assume you drill through the top half to secure it with bolts.

Does this often lead to a leaky top box?

#2 ·
#3 ·
I'm like Joe, I've never experienced a leak on either of my 3 touring bikes. Joe's correct, don't over tight'n and don't overload..

#6 ·
I've always had my racks installed by the dealer so I can't help with the installation. I can tell you that everyone who personally installed a rack say go slow when drilling and use a very sharp bit to drill into the trunk. Some even drill a small pilot hole first then then the required size next. Good luck and let us know how you make out..

#7 ·
#8 ·
It's been a while, but what I did was to carefully set the rack on the trunk, to get a good idea where it is going to set. Then cover that area with masking tape. Put the rack back on and place it exactly where you want it and trace around each mounting post. Mark the center of each circle. Take a deep breath and drill your hole, yes use a good sharp bit.
From the Northwest Corner
Ron

#9 ·
What I did was to place the rack on the lid, see where the feet go, place masking tape where the feet will go and circle them. Now, place match sticks or similar into the holes of the feet, put dab of paint or like substance and carefully put the feet down on the tape where the circles are drawn. The paint will mark exactly where the hole should be and the tape will keep the bit from cracking the plastic as it initally enters.
Just another way to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.