Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2006 ST1300 I usually ride for my long distance rides.
I was picking up a few things for my ST at my local dealer when I noticed they had a new 2021 GW tour in black and a manual. I couldn’t pass that up and had to take her home with me, it’s rare to see a manual Wing at my dealer. Like my 2016 F6B I hated the stock seat within ten minutes of riding her home. I didn’t have much time to figure out a new saddle or other accessories. After doing some homework and getting desperate on options due to my limited time, I ended up with an ultimate seat. It arrived the weekend before my trip so I had time to try that out and partially break it in and if it didn’t work I always had my ST to take on the trip. Well the seat worked out perfect and I was happy with the position and liked how it felt with the highway pegs I installed.
Anyway, about the ride.
My brother joined me on this trip, he rode from Discovery Bay, Ca to me in Phoenix, AZ and we were on our way. This trip was based on finishing out the 48 states in a 12 month period and only needed 34 to complete. This trip was a mix of highway, back roads and taking in some local attractions.
We left Arizona and hit the following states as follows:
New Mexico, Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Missouri, Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania, New York, Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, New Jersey, Delaware, Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia, Kentucky, Tennessee, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, passing back through Texas, New Mexico and Arizona to “finish” our joint ride in Huntington Beach, Ca.
The new Wing handled and performed beyond my expectations, to me it feels to me like Honda merged the previous generation Wing with the ST1300. I was a little disappointed in the size of the fuel tank as it was tough to get 175 miles out of a tank when on the interstates (I dont ride the speed limit) but the extra gallon on my F6B and of course the ST with its 7.7 gallons allows me to go that much further between fill ups.
My Wing came with Dunlop tires but I prefer the feel of the Bridgestone tires that I have on my F6B, so at 5,600 miles I had Schroader’s Honda in Hendersonville, NC change them over for me. They certainly didn’t need to be changed due to wear, just my preference. The service I received from Schroader’s Honda was amazing to say the least, great people there. We stayed a few extra days in the North Carolina and Northern Georgia area riding the amazing roads they have to offer, this is where I was able to really push the new bike and appreciate the handling improvement that were made. I wish we had more time to spend there and explore even more.
Total trip for me on the Wing was 10,711 miles in 17 days. I cannot wait for another long trip on this bike.
E990D6B7-A899-425B-94D9-5CAEC1F98726.jpeg
1D9FD9F6-7F04-4199-AD1A-FA9FE8827186.jpeg

·
Super Moderator
14,922 Posts
Awesome photos and awesome ride. I want to be you when I retire.

·
Premium Member
4,159 Posts
Awesome post, great photos and one heck of a trip.

Steve

·
Premium Member
11,070 Posts
That is really putting the miles on. Thanks for the ride report.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Thanks for taking us along.👍

Reactions: Oldhand

·
Super Moderator
9,812 Posts
Great pics. Thanks for taking us along.

·
Registered
494 Posts
You are living my dream!!!
How do you compare the Wing to the K1600 GTL? I rode a demo at BMW event couple years ago. It was short 20 mi ride. I felt "skrunished" up in hips/legs a bit. Used the quick shifting feature that allowed you to shift with no clutch. Not sure I would ever push that Beemer to its limits.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You are living my dream!!!
How do you compare the Wing to the K1600 GTL? I rode a demo at BMW event couple years ago. It was short 20 mi ride. I felt "skrunished" up in hips/legs a bit. Used the quick shifting feature that allowed you to shift with no clutch. Not sure I would ever push that Beemer to its limits.
I was happy to be able to get that amount of time off work to complete this ride, the memories for us will last for sure.
the ergonomics are different for sure, what little time I have had on my brother’s bike. They are very similar in performance for your experienced rider, the BMW has a bit better lean angle a bit more HP and of course the top end limit is much higher. It also gets better fuel economy at the higher speeds, anything 80mph and under the Wing Is much better. I have and always will be a Honda guy, so there is some bias in all of this.
We did have some opportunities to do some acceleration pulls on this trip, BMW did pull on the Wing most times but never did it walk away from me.
as most of you know the storage on the wing is blah.
But comparing the two bikes, side cases of bmw will fit a full sized helmet in either but not in the top box and now with the larger top box on the wing, Its an easy fit for two full sized helmets but obviously not in side boxes. I think Honda made a real winner with the design change.
Oh, the shifting. The quick shift wasn’t a factor to me, something you would get used to but I see no advantage in it as I love a clutch lever.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The service I received from Schroader’s Honda was amazing to say the least, great people there. We stayed a few extra days in the North Carolina and Northern Georgia area riding the amazing roads they have to offer, this is where I was able to really push the new bike and appreciate the handling improvement that were made. I wish we had more time to spend there and explore even more.
Major plus one on Shroeder's Honda. I bought my 20 Tour from Jesse and he was invaluable in directing me to what options made more sense. I rented a car and drove there to pick mine up and while the Delivery process wasn't the best, Jesse was awesome in taking care of me while there.
As for your ride around the country I can't even imagine all those great sights in all those states. What a fantastic trip I'm sure you had and thanks for the write up. It lets all of us dream a bit!
Also, I have to mention that most owners of the Honda CTX1300 call the 18 and up Goldwing a "CTX1800". My last bike was the CTX and I believe it was a type of proof of concept for some of the things on the Goldwing. As for the ST1300 I think the Goldwing is more realistically related as I know I sure treat mine like a sport tourer. Absolutely love mine.
Now if only Canada would open their borders I'll be happy for the upcoming trip I was supposed to be on going thru Nova Scotia and all of New England.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Major plus one on Shroeder's Honda. I bought my 20 Tour from Jesse and he was invaluable in directing me to what options made more sense. I rented a car and drove there to pick mine up and while the Delivery process wasn't the best, Jesse was awesome in taking care of me while there.
As for your ride around the country I can't even imagine all those great sights in all those states. What a fantastic trip I'm sure you had and thanks for the write up. It lets all of us dream a bit!
Also, I have to mention that most owners of the Honda CTX1300 call the 18 and up Goldwing a "CTX1800". My last bike was the CTX and I believe it was a type of proof of concept for some of the things on the Goldwing. As for the ST1300 I think the Goldwing is more realistically related as I know I sure treat mine like a sport tourer. Absolutely love mine.
Now if only Canada would open their borders I'll be happy for the upcoming trip I was supposed to be on going thru Nova Scotia and all of New England.
the sites and places we went to and through were kind of an overload and slight whirlwind of what’s next and so on. Each day that passes the trip gets clearer of what we saw and where, funny how that is. We did take a slight break in key west, my son turned 21 the day we planned to arrive, so I flew him down to meet us there to celebrate. It was nice to take it easy and enjoy the time with him.
We are waiting for Canada to open as well, would love to get Alaska in by the end of next summer and of course we need to ship the bikes to Hawaii to complete the 50 states :). I know we could always ship to Alaska at this time but riding is always better :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts