Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
was going to get my wing today dealer called advised stop sales recall 2001 on up do to brake issues this is hot off the presses

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
What year Wing are you getting?
So are you saying ALL gold wings from 01 to 2012? What do you mean by ON UP??? If your wing isn't new and is one in the recalls below, maybe the recall wasn't done by the last owner and they just found that out and are doing it.

This was in 05

Recall ID #17713 - SERVICE BRAKES, HYDRAULIC
Recall Date: JAN 24, 2005
Component: SERVICE BRAKES, HYDRAULIC
Model Affected: HONDA GL1800
Units Affected: 36046 Recall Details

If this is what your dealer is talking about being HOT OFF THE PRESS, I would find another dealer. Is there another recall on the brakes?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I dont have the recall number. I was going to buy the bike today. Dealer called me and told me dont load up. We cant sell 2001-2012 due to brake issues that may cause crashes

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
I dont have the recall number. I was going to buy the bike today. Dealer called me and told me dont load up. We cant sell 2001-2012 due to brake issues that may cause crashes
Well, for sure you have everybody's attention. Does anyone out there have a clue as to what this is all about? :confused:

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I tried to look at it on the honda owners link but all that shows up is for my vtx 1800 .. but you guys having 2001-2012 should be able to see it out there if your setup that is.

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
I tried to look at it on the honda owners link but all that shows up is for my vtx 1800 .. but you guys having 2001-2012 should be able to see it out there if your setup that is.
Well, it was just on the news that Honda is having a big recall but its on cars and air bags. This begs the question: Does this dealer you are contemplating buying from know that you are trying to purchase a bike and not a car?

·
Registered
168 Posts
I think it's a old recall 20001 to 2005 , but its got me thinking my 2010 breaks seem a little mushey ,but then I came off a sport bike .

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
My understanding is it concerns the length of the shaft in the secondary brake master cylinder.
It is for ALL1800'S
MAKES ONE WONDER ABOUT ALL THE COMPLAINTS OF STICKING ADV'S AND ALL THE SHIMMING OF THEM???????????????

·
Registered
515 Posts
Stopped by my dealer this afternoon on the way home, there is a recall on all 1800's except trikes. My dealer only had an email from Honda today, they expect the bulletin early next week, but then they will need to get the tool to do the work. My 2012 and the 4 they have in stock are affected. I saw them going through their list of 1800's sold at the dealership, 5 pages worth.

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
Wow, how about them apples boys and girls? I called the Honda Powersports dealer today but they haven't returned my call about this. For Pete's sake, keep this thread in the "live" department.

·
Premium Member
1,172 Posts
Very timely and important information--thanks for posting.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I got a call back from two dealers that I have been working a purchase on .. Rockingham and Chattanooga (buying from Chattanooga) .. both high volume wholesale dealers.

Both informed me that on Monday they are supposed to be receiving a "test set" and TSB to support this recall.

Also

Moral of the story .. never ever question something this urgent that the new guy sumncguy posts.

He is a 48 year old Sr. Network Engineer. Data is his bag. Once "his" dealer, Chattanooga, advised that he could not purchase a 2012 HPNAM, sumncguy called Rockingham and then his home dealership Triangle Cycles to, as always, obtain three reliable sources confirming said data.

Seriously, my dealer is aching for the sale. If I hear anything further, Ill post.

:p;)

·
Registered
515 Posts
I don't think anyone doubted you sumncguy, I think we were also concerned and worked with our own contacts to help confirm the information you presented. Thanks for your heads up!

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I know man ... Im just messin' around ... I understand how these boards can be. Many times people speak without really knowing.

This has got to be hurting Honda big time. The salesman Im buying from told me he had 3 of us that were supposed to go in Saturday. Not only that, they have to check all 98 Wings he has in stock and that doesnt count the used ones. OOOoooouuucccchhh !!

Rockingham made mention that he too has a few but many used that he cant even move.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
GL1800 Brake Recall

Torrance, CA: American Honda Motor Co., Inc. has notified the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) that a potential defect relating to motor vehicle safety exists in the secondary master cylinder on certain 2001-2010 and 2012 model year GL1800 motorcycles.

Situation:
The compensating port hole inside the secondary master cylinder (part of the combined-braking system) can become blocked due to (1) stacking of tolerances in manufacturing and (2) sufficient swelling of the primary pressure cup inside the master cylinder. If the compensating port hole becomes completely blocked, the rear wheel brake caliper can drag after the rider releases the brake input. If this occurs, the rear brake temperature and pressure progressively increase. Unexpected braking increases the risk of a crash and continued riding with the brake engaged can generate enough heat to cause the rear brake to catch fire.

Inspection and Repair:
Honda motorcycle dealers will inspect the secondary master cylinder of all affected motorcycles in dealership stock or sold to customers (consumers and commercial entities). If an inspection indicates that the compensator port hole can become blocked due to this problem, the dealer will replace the secondary master cylinder. Registered owners of affected motorcycles will be contacted by mail and asked to take their motorcycle to a Honda dealer. The dealer will inspect the motorcycle, and if necessary, replace the secondary master cylinder, free of charge.

Additional Details:
Honda motorcycle dealers will immediately receive a transmittal of complete repair instructions. Replacement secondary master cylinders in the U.S. will initially be made available through American Honda’s dealer technical support hotline. Upon approval by NHTSA, American Honda will mail a letter to all registered owners, and also post a copy of the letter on the Honda Brand website: powersports.honda.com. Target dates for website posting are before the end of December 2011, and mail receipt by registered customers should occur before the end of January 2012.

Honda apologizes for any inconvenience this creates, but feels the safety of our customers is the highest priority. Honda encourages every customer to contact their dealer to schedule an appointment upon receiving the SAFETY RECALL letter.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts