Honda Goldwing Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
was going to get my wing today dealer called advised stop sales recall 2001 on up do to brake issues this is hot off the presses

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
What year Wing are you getting?
So are you saying ALL gold wings from 01 to 2012? What do you mean by ON UP??? If your wing isn't new and is one in the recalls below, maybe the recall wasn't done by the last owner and they just found that out and are doing it.

This was in 05

Recall ID #17713 - SERVICE BRAKES, HYDRAULIC
Recall Date: JAN 24, 2005
Component: SERVICE BRAKES, HYDRAULIC
Model Affected: HONDA GL1800
Units Affected: 36046 Recall Details

If this is what your dealer is talking about being HOT OFF THE PRESS, I would find another dealer. Is there another recall on the brakes?

·
Registered
5,086 Posts
I dont have the recall number. I was going to buy the bike today. Dealer called me and told me dont load up. We cant sell 2001-2012 due to brake issues that may cause crashes
Well, for sure you have everybody's attention. Does anyone out there have a clue as to what this is all about? :confused:

·
Registered
5,086 Posts
I tried to look at it on the honda owners link but all that shows up is for my vtx 1800 .. but you guys having 2001-2012 should be able to see it out there if your setup that is.
Well, it was just on the news that Honda is having a big recall but its on cars and air bags. This begs the question: Does this dealer you are contemplating buying from know that you are trying to purchase a bike and not a car?

·
Registered
166 Posts
I think it's a old recall 20001 to 2005 , but its got me thinking my 2010 breaks seem a little mushey ,but then I came off a sport bike .

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
My understanding is it concerns the length of the shaft in the secondary brake master cylinder.
It is for ALL1800'S
MAKES ONE WONDER ABOUT ALL THE COMPLAINTS OF STICKING ADV'S AND ALL THE SHIMMING OF THEM???????????????

·
Registered
507 Posts
Stopped by my dealer this afternoon on the way home, there is a recall on all 1800's except trikes. My dealer only had an email from Honda today, they expect the bulletin early next week, but then they will need to get the tool to do the work. My 2012 and the 4 they have in stock are affected. I saw them going through their list of 1800's sold at the dealership, 5 pages worth.

·
Registered
5,086 Posts
Wow, how about them apples boys and girls? I called the Honda Powersports dealer today but they haven't returned my call about this. For Pete's sake, keep this thread in the "live" department.

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
Very timely and important information--thanks for posting.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I don't think anyone doubted you sumncguy, I think we were also concerned and worked with our own contacts to help confirm the information you presented. Thanks for your heads up!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Called my dealer on Saturday and they are aware of the problem and yes I will be receiving a letter and when I can, get it into the shop.
I think that the spring in Edmonton will be a very busy place at all Honda shops. He suggested that I trailer the bike in as soon as I can to avoid a very long wait in April, March...... June..... whenever the snow goes away in Edmonton lol

·
Administrator
25,938 Posts
I dont have the recall number. I was going to buy the bike today. Dealer called me and told me dont load up. We cant sell 2001-2012 due to brake issues that may cause crashes
Well, for sure you have everybody's attention. Does anyone out there have a clue as to what this is all about? :confused:
Stopped by my dealer this afternoon on the way home, there is a recall on all 1800's except trikes. My dealer only had an email from Honda today, they expect the bulletin early next week, but then they will need to get the tool to do the work. My 2012 and the 4 they have in stock are affected. I saw them going through their list of 1800's sold at the dealership, 5 pages worth.
I did and I was...Thanks....
Called my dealer on Saturday and they are aware of the problem and yes I will be receiving a letter and when I can, get it into the shop.
I think that the spring in Edmonton will be a very busy place at all Honda shops. He suggested that I trailer the bike in as soon as I can to avoid a very long wait in April, March...... June..... whenever the snow goes away in Edmonton lol
OK, here's what I know as of today talking with Tech Services at Honda Canada: yes it concerns ALL GL1800's; but no it will not affect EVERY 1800 but a small percentage of them in both the USA and Canada. Every registered Honda GL owner will get a letter about the recall and you will be required to get your bike into a dealer to have the test performed. IF your bike needs the necewssary repair, they (Honda and the servicing dealer will cover the cost) will order the necessary parts and do the repair. Most dealers wioll not have a readily available stock on repair kits as "only a small amount of the bikes" will require them. This is NOT a blanket repair for every/all GL1800's but only some of them. I can't speak for the US, but so far NONE of the 1800's sold in Canada since 2001 have had any issues that involved accident and/or injury due to brakes locking or catching fire. Because of the nature of a Transport notification on the part of an OEM manufacturer (Honda Vulunteered this information both in Canada and the USA), it is required that the OEM release this bulletin to the public.
In a nutshell, wait for your letter (both Canada and the US teams will be sending them) and then contact a suitable dealer for your inspection. If you have a second owner (or third, whatever) Honda still covers the problem, just like the frame recall was/is. A simple VIN verification and then the necessary inspection determines the result.
I apologise to al the members for being away when this hit the fan; I could have released the info more timely and saved everyone a minor cardiac event but my e-mail and even my i-phone (take that all you Apple believers ...just kidding, just kidding) was bollix so I couldn't even jump in and offer advice even though I knew what the problem was...sorry all, I am a mere human!:rolleyes:
Those of you with trike conversions, send me a PM and I'll offer what assistance I can...just remember I have limits with my inbox so don't all call at once and plug the system. Maybe tyr and get together and send a note for several/many at once in one note and I can reach you as a group rather than individuals;)

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Every registered Honda GL owner will get a letter about the recall and you will be required to get your bike into a dealer to have the test performed. IF your bike needs the necessary repair, they (Honda and the servicing dealer will cover the cost) will order the necessary parts and do the repair.
That's scary-does that mean my bikes sits waiting on parts to arrive someday:confused:
Those of you with trike conversions, send me a PM and I'll offer what assistance I can
What difference does having a trike make??

QUOTE]

·
Administrator
25,938 Posts
Depending on the volume of Wings a particular dealer sells, there could be a delay, or maybe not. For us (small town rural with limited Wing customers) we're not bringing in hoards of repair kits at any one time. Larger volume dealers could likely bring in more. Biggest crunch will be in the snow-belt since getting a bike to the shop will be harder so spring could be a bit hairy. Having a trike may not be an issue at all, but then again it IS a modification of the original bike. I know what our take is on it, but I can't speak for all dealers or Mother Honda's stand on it (even though we all know being a trike has no actual bearing on the master cylinder issue).

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.