Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just spent $700 to have my 1986 GL1200 rear wheel, flange and bearings replaced due to wear of the old wheel (a sound like marbles in my rear wheel developed). I hear this is a know, frequently experience problem. My concern is - there was no new wheel available, so I had to use a used wheel for replacement...which means I'll experience the same problem again...at some point. Anybody have experience with this? I'm starting to think that after 22 years, maybe it's time to buy a newer wing!?

·
Super Moderator
15,261 Posts
some guys are fitting 1500 rear wheels to their 1200s because it rides on two bearings insted of one

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am currently going thru the same thing. The right bearing has worn the pocket that it sits in by several thousands of an inch. I believe this to be the source of an odd vibration that I have been searching for. I purchased a used wheel and found that it had the same problem only not quite so severe. It is in a machine shop being bored and sleeved right now. The estimate is around $360,00 including 2 new bearings and a seal.

Back when the 1200 first came out, I heard that they were tearing out the rear hubs. I did not ask anyone what this meant a I was quite happy with my 83 GL1100. Now I have an 85 GL1200 and believe that this is what was reffered to as tearing out the hub.

My post won't help much except to let you know you aren't alone.

·
Super Moderator
15,261 Posts
seems honda put the bearing in the aluminum hub not in a steel race. $36000 seem hlike a bit too much for the work they are doing -)

·
Registered
3 Posts
The rear wheel hub bearing repair final price was $280.00. It did not cure my problem. :( It gets a pulsing vibration at 117 km and above.
It is not tires, balance, air pressure and only happens in top gear. Should anyone know the solution, I would be very happy to know it.

Another problem I have is a static type noise in my headset that drops off dramatically if a brake is operated. One of my fellow (GWRRA) members thinks he heard of this being caused by the voltage regulator. Anyone???

1 - 5 of 5 Posts