Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I marvel at the amazing knowledge of all of you on the GWOF and REALLY enjoy reading your posts. As a relatively new 2004 GL1800 owner (and mighty proud of it) I find that my right rear view mirror is broken. Can you tell me if the glass can be replaced by itself; or does the whole mirror assembly need replaced? Also.....my mirrors have an additional turn signal light next to the mirror itself. Is this original or might it be a special item that the prior owner had installed? Again, it is a great pleasure to own a Wing and to 'talk' to so many knowledgable people on this forum. :D

·
Super Moderator
7,668 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum.
Congrats on the new 2 U Wing.
From what I understand Honda doesn't sell the mirror alone but someone here may have a spare if they installed turn signal mirrors or you may wish to try a salvage yard. Try www.stevescyclesalvage.com.
The turn signal that is attached to the mirror itself is an add on accessory.
May you have many wonderful and safe miles on your Wing.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, Chopin114, those are my mirrors exactly. I understood from the prior owner that he put them on, but don't count on his word. My turn signals still functions and the housing is a little scuffed, but the glass is broken. Haven't looked online or called anyone yet about parts but came to this forum first. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, Trike lady. I've read your posts before and you really seem to know your business! I'll look up this site and see what I can come up with. No doubt I will enjoy my Wing for many years as everyone else does. Thanks!!

·
Registered
145 Posts
I marvel at the amazing knowledge of all of you on the GWOF and REALLY enjoy reading your posts. As a relatively new 2004 GL1800 owner (and mighty proud of it) I find that my right rear view mirror is broken. Can you tell me if the glass can be replaced by itself; or does the whole mirror assembly need replaced? Also.....my mirrors have an additional turn signal light next to the mirror itself. Is this original or might it be a special item that the prior owner had installed? Again, it is a great pleasure to own a Wing and to 'talk' to so many knowledgable people on this forum. :D
If you can't find a used mirror or one from a salvage yard you will have to purchase a complete assembly. I replace on last year it was $226.00. The turn signal is an accessory item that was added. you should be able to reuse it. Finding a used mirror to match may be tough to do. The OEM replacements fit perfect and match exactly.
Good luck finding one. (I'd go with the OEM & do it right):)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, everyone. Just ordered the OEM for $259.88 that should arrive Wednesday for my installation. Chances of getting an exact match used is mighty slim and I don't want to spend a LONG time looking when I'd rather be riding. Have another group of friends we'll be riding with this weekend. Even the dealership thinks that we ought to be able to just replace the 'lens' but, alas, it is not available.

Good riding,
Rambo1207

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well........would your right side mirror assembly by chance be Pearl Challenger Brown (looks like titanium to me, but who names these colors anyways) in color? If so, how much would you like for it? If we can work together I could work with the dealer to return theirs with a restocking fee and still be money ahead.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Police, it's been my understanding from postings on this site of late last year (Google search is a great tool), as well as from my local dealer, that the mirror glass cannot be purchased and installed by itself. Have you done this before? My assembly is marked up some and up close looks 'damaged' but I could keep using it. Replacement of the entire assembly is relatively straightforward in the shop manual, but maybe you could tell me how to replace the glass and I could buy yours (dealer calls it the 'lens').

·
Registered
905 Posts
Glass (lens) is replaced by gently prying plastic that is left out. new just snaps in place. For an example go to kuryakyn and look at the replacement mirrors with built in signals. Their instructions are under pic of mirror. Almost simple when you read instructions. Let me know. Pete 205-699-3419 8am to 5pm Alabama

·
Super Moderator
7,668 Posts
Thanks, everyone. Just ordered the OEM for $259.88 that should arrive Wednesday for my installation. Chances of getting an exact match used is mighty slim and I don't want to spend a LONG time looking when I'd rather be riding. Have another group of friends we'll be riding with this weekend. Even the dealership thinks that we ought to be able to just replace the 'lens' but, alas, it is not available.

Good riding,
Rambo1207
Actually the match from the factory is quite good. A friend damaged the 2005 blue mirror on his trike and the replacement that came in didn't look like an after thought. It would be good if you could only purchase a replacement mirror insert (Lens). One screw holds it in on the bottom of the housing.

·
Registered
402 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts