Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I'm getting a lot of tire bounce/vibration around 80-85 mph. Below that, it's fairly smooth. The tires are at 50% wear and are Dunlop Elite 3's.
I usually run Pirelli Route 66 150-80-16 on my Roadstar. I can get them sent to my house for under 100 bucks to the door using my AMA card at bikebandit. I realize this is a size smaller than the GWing is listed at, but I really think it will be just fine. The load index is at 71 on the Pirelli's.
I was going to go with a CT, but couldn't find an close size match in them that was readily available.

Any thoughts on these tires?

HJ

'94 GW1500 I

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Dunflops are not real good after the first couple thousand miles. If I were you I would try a Bridgestone , Or a Metzlers. Going to a smaller tire will throw your speedo and odometer off. You not only need to check the speed rating on that pirelli but also the load rating.

·
Banned
3,186 Posts
The Austone Taxi Tire is 1/2" taller than the E3.

One can buy this tire here:

http://www.universaltire.com/dunlop-tires/dunlop-radial-tires/175r16-austone-taxi-black.html

I run the: Federal FORMOZA FD2 175/60 R16

This tire costs me $87 to my door.

It is 3/4" shorter. It has not been a problem for me in 16,000 miles and from the folks I followed to the darkside.

My next car tire will be the Dunlop Winter Sport Run Flat. My understanding is that is a little taller than the Formoza, but not as tall as the E3.

If you search the Wheel and Tire section of this forum you will find some threads on car tire.

There are other options at:

mcdarksiders.forumotion.com

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dunflops are not real good after the first couple thousand miles. If I were you I would try a Bridgestone , Or a Metzlers. Going to a smaller tire will throw your speedo and odometer off. You not only need to check the speed rating on that pirelli but also the load rating.
I agree, never have like the Dunflops for sure. I was looking at the Bridgestone's the other night online...
Thanks for your input!

·
Premium Member
1,992 Posts
Well, I'm getting a lot of tire bounce/vibration around 80-85 mph. Below that, it's fairly smooth. The tires are at 50% wear and are Dunlop Elite 3's.
I have always run with the Dunlope E3's. I hear other people bashing the E3's but I find they run good.
When I first bought this bike it was about 5 years old. The first ride home on the hwy at 140 kilometers (87 mile and hours) it had a real bad shake. I did a few things including head bearings. It really helped but it still shook at that speed. About a year ago I had the head bearings replaced again by the same mechanic and presto the shake was gone :). To this day I still use E3's.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The Austone Taxi Tire is 1/2" taller than the E3.

One can buy this tire here:

http://www.universaltire.com/dunlop-tires/dunlop-radial-tires/175r16-austone-taxi-black.html

I run the: Federal FORMOZA FD2 175/60 R16

This tire costs me $87 to my door.

It is 3/4" shorter. It has not been a problem for me in 16,000 miles and from the folks I followed to the darkside.

My next car tire will be the Dunlop Winter Sport Run Flat. My understanding is that is a little taller than the Formoza, but not as tall as the E3.

If you search the Wheel and Tire section of this forum you will find some threads on car tire.

There are other options at:

mcdarksiders.forumotion.com
Larry, thanks for your input. The Taxi Tires look very promising, kind of expensive (165.00 to my door) But if it will last 2-3 times as long as a reg. mt then that's ok. The load rating on this tire is surely good enough. I plan on mounting and balancing it myself if I can. Do you know anyone personally that is running this tire?
HJ

·
Banned
3,186 Posts
Larry, thanks for your input. The Taxi Tires look very promising, kind of expensive (165.00 to my door) But if it will last 2-3 times as long as a reg. mt then that's ok. The load rating on this tire is surely good enough. I plan on mounting and balancing it myself if I can. Do you know anyone personally that is running this tire?
HJ
I don't like the price either, but the over all performance has been reported very favorable.

Dusty Boots from the Steve Saunders Site for one. A very reliable resource person. He is also on the moto-camp site.

Here is a thread from the Steve Saunders site regarding the Taxi Tire that has a very good description and some pictures of the tire installed on a 1500:

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=120741&forum_id=4&highlight=taxi+tire

There are quite a few from the darksider website.

Keep in mind that tire will probably go 35,000 miles and has a 6 ply rating.

It is expensive, but not really anymore than an E3 and will last like 3 of them.

·
Super Moderator
15,217 Posts
i wouldn't say that joe i have e3's on both wings with over 10,000 miles on the e3's 1200 wing and i just replaced the e3's on the 1500 ( total milage unknown but what ever it was i added another 11 / 12 000 ) before my pa. trip this summer. most guys i see with bad e3's are running 32 - 35psi this is too low and makes the bike wallow and the handling is horrable

·
Administrator
26,225 Posts
Mileage was never an issue with either my 1200 or 1500. I forget exactly what I ran for tires on them, just whatever the dealership had in stock for Wings at the time; but I do remember that I got double the life on the front as the rear. Pretty sure they were Stones or Duns though; one of my buds (1100A) swore by Conti's back then, but I never went outside the box for a brand. We were mostly two-up pulling a trailer so I ran max recommended psi all the time for the loads.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't like the price either, but the over all performance has been reported very favorable.

Dusty Boots from the Steve Saunders Site for one. A very reliable resource person. He is also on the moto-camp site.

Here is a thread from the Steve Saunders site regarding the Taxi Tire that has a very good description and some pictures of the tire installed on a 1500:

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=120741&forum_id=4&highlight=taxi+tire

There are quite a few from the darksider website.

Keep in mind that tire will probably go 35,000 miles and has a 6 ply rating.

It is expensive, but not really anymore than an E3 and will last like 3 of them.
Thanks Larry for all your help. After reading the articles that you linked for me, I am going to go with the Taxi tire. Looks very promising to me, not sure what to use for the front tire yet, might try it with the old E3 first before I make a decision on what to use on the front.
HJ

1 - 13 of 13 Posts