·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just finished changing the rear tire on my 1500 GW.....WHEW

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Great Video Joe! Almost makes one want to gat a spare wheel to make swaps easier yet...hmmmm.;)

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
A lot of 1800 owners have spare wheels, you can get one with a tire on it for under $200.00 which is less than a new tire costs. A lot of times you can find them on e-bay from a trike conversion for a lot less. They come in handy if your taking off on a trip and not sure about your back tire but you hate to throw away that last couple thousand miles, Put the spare on and switch it back when you get home. Also if you find a good sale on a tire you can have it mounted and ready to go.

·
Registered
793 Posts
I was lucky enough to pick up a whole rear end assembly from a trike conversion for $50. My son and I just changed out the rear wheel with the new tire mounted last night in about an hour. When I changed it in July it took me just under two hours by my self.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Pulled off the whole rear trunk and bags as an assembly. Four bolts holding the seat down, disconnect a couple wiring harnesses under the seat, disconnect antenna cables, I had to take off mounting bracket for my trailer hitch at the front, loosen two bolts in the front of the bags (there are plastic caps in the holes - 14mm socket if I remember correctly) the frame for the rear assembly is slotted to permit removal, you can see the frame connections just in front of the shocks. On the bottom of the bags in the rear should be two bolts - 10mm socket if I remember, also unbolt the mufflers fom the frame and the whole thing should come off. At this point all that should remain is the wheel assembly with swing arm, shocks and mufflers. Back off that bolt that goes through the left shock and into the caliper, as removing this bolt is a pain to get back in with the load from the shock. installing the rear section is reverse of disassembly and it helps if you have at least two people to help lift it back on. One thing during install is that I take a small rachet strap around the tail pipes to draw them slightly together so they don't hang up on the frame.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Pulled off the whole rear trunk and bags as an assembly. Four bolts holding the seat down, disconnect a couple wiring harnesses under the seat, disconnect antenna cables, I had to take off mounting bracket for my trailer hitch at the front, loosen two bolts in the front of the bags (there are plastic caps in the holes - 14mm socket if I remember correctly) the frame for the rear assembly is slotted to permit removal, you can see the frame connections just in front of the shocks. On the bottom of the bags in the rear should be two bolts - 10mm socket if I remember, also unbolt the mufflers fom the frame and the whole thing should come off. At this point all that should remain is the wheel assembly with swing arm, shocks and mufflers. Back off that bolt that goes through the left shock and into the caliper, as removing this bolt is a pain to get back in with the load from the shock. installing the rear section is reverse of disassembly and it helps if you have at least two people to help lift it back on. One thing during install is that I take a small rachet strap around the tail pipes to draw them slightly together so they don't hang up on the frame.
blk93wing,
Thanks for the information. :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
That was one big improvement Honda made on the 1800. It's easy to change the rear wheel without a lift.
Watch the video
http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=217161
In Australia, the workshops allow about three hours to change a rear tyre.They say you have to remove all the tupperware etc.etc.That video says differently. WOW that is great.I will get a spare rear wheel.The only thing that worries me is the angle the bike is on while you are doing all this.i.e oiling up the right hand side bank of the motor.Its virtually horizontal,so, couldn't that be a problem ? as somebody else said "I wouldn't like to let it lie there for too long"
Cheers
Graham from Downunder

1 - 9 of 9 Posts